Charlton v Derby County

Day

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd push Hughes further forward, the Dawkins role, and play OMG

This is something I had considered too - personally I still wouldn't drop Dawkins at the mo but when OMG is considered ready to CDM, then it might be an idea to consider Hughes in a left of midfield (rather than left winger) role - playing 4132 with one of Russell/Dawkins/Best/Calero/Ward being given more freedom to float in front of the midfield 3 and feeding off Martin. I would like to see a natural winger in our squad, but whilst that is not the case, I think Mac will look for our width and crosses to come from an overlapping Christie or Forsyth.

So now you want to play Hughes on the wing? I've heard of square pegs in round holes but that's something else.

They're hardly wingers in the system we play, the fullbacks are more winger-like! Hardly a square peg to play our most effective assist/passer further up front, I reckon playing him at CDM is more square peg like?

This is something I had considered too - personally I still wouldn't drop Dawkins at the mo but when OMG is considered ready to CDM, then it might be an idea to consider Hughes in a left of midfield (rather than left winger) role - playing 4132 with one of Russell/Dawkins/Best/Calero/Ward being given more freedom to float in front of the midfield 3 and feeding off Martin. I would like to see a natural winger in our squad, but whilst that is not the case, I think Mac will look for our width and crosses to come from an overlapping Christie or Forsyth.

Agree, word-for-word :-)

Said this yesterday:

We can't dominate every game can we now. We can't play well every game either. We have come away with a point and did not concede. I have been saying since the beginning that Hughes best position is the advanced central mid position. Attacking mid. So many people were like no it isn't it's the deepest lying midfielder. Now we have come full circle and people are saying he can't play the role he is currently in and that he should play as an attacking mid. We suffered an injury and we had to make sacrifices. Now it is not his best position but he is as good as is available to us to play that role/position. 

If we stuck Mascarell there, after a few matches he would also put in a average performance and get dominated. Then everyone would be calling for his head to roll. The coaching staff should know well in advance who is most suited to play certain opposition in that role. Whether it be Hughes, Mascarell or Eustace. Eustace is not someone we need on the bench for every game. He is the player we should be looking to every 7 or so games. 

The way the wingers are performing it might be better if we dropped one and stuck Mascarell, Hughes, Bryson and Hendrick all on at once. Those players could pass a team into submission. We could play more narrow down one wing. But the winger could also swap sides throughout the match as is what happens currently. We can't play exactly the same system every week. 

I say stick him on along with the others. But don't be calling for him to be dropped if he has a below par performance in that position at any point. If he has two or three in a row then by all means change. 

0-2 Bryson & Hughes.

Time to play Omar in the George Thorne role and let young Will do what he does best and torment their midfield and defence with his movement, vision and passing ability.

With Will Hughes in a more attacking role watch Bryson perform as we all know he can and break his duck for the season.

Bryson is one of the best outside the Prem IMO, don't forget what superb runs this dude is capable of. He is at times un playable from a defenders point of view.

Read on the BBC sport preview earlier that their keeper is set to miss the game with hamstring injury so hopefully the replacement isn't up to scratch!

Yeah saw that also.Their gk will be making his first senior start.With that being said if we dont finish our chances it doesnt matter how young he is.

0-2 Bryson & Hughes.

Time to play Omar in the George Thorne role and let young Will do what he does best and torment their midfield and defence with his movement, vision and passing ability.

With Will Hughes in a more attacking role watch Bryson perform as we all know he can and break his duck for the season.

Bryson is one of the best outside the Prem IMO, don't forget what superb runs this dude is capable of. He is at times un playable from a defenders point of view.

Dropping Hendrick then? Other alternative to go 4-4-2 which gives us less width. I think he will leave Bryson out and will go with a 2-1 win with Martin and Hughes our scorers.

We could test the young keeper if we had a player who could actually take a decent set piece. Im amazed that all the good players we have one of them cant take a good corner or free kick

We do, Chris Martin. No idea why he doesn't take them.

The one against Barnsley was sublime.

It's good to see that Calero has been taken with the squad, it's great for his confidence and shows the other development squad lads that if they play well and find some form they could find themselves in contention for a place in the match day sqaud.  I hope to see more of Mascarell, although I would imagine we will start with the same midfield trio as the previous two games and are more likely to see him come off the bench again. 

Charlton appear to be much improved from last season and I expect them to give us a tough game. I don't think we will run away with this, it should be quite a tight affair, but I hope to see us play a little more like our usual selves and I think we might come away with a 1-0 win (although a draw wouldn't be the end of the world).

Archived