SWFC fan...

Freshfish

Hi Freshfish. I think some people are getting concerned that these minutes applause are starting to become too common, all for good causes of course but if you don't draw the line somewhere they will swamp the game and lose their impact.

Having said that we are not at that stage yet and I can assure you that the message has got out to the Rams fans travelling tomorrow via the various social media websites and there is no doubt in my mind that they will join your applause for this little girl.

Hey...I popped back on just to thank the mods for moving this and to just say...the same issues were raised on Owlstalk. I'm not into the whole 'Diana Sympathy Tear-Jerking' stuff but this seemed different and I certainly wouldn't want it to become the norm.

It really was just a request for respect. Agree or disagree is a choice I respect I just hope those who do disagree with the concept simply remain silent or chat ...it won't drown out the applause. 

Many thanks to al of you...even those that don't agree with it...for actually debating the thing and also realising we're not like 'Miwwaw or Leeeads' UTO ... xx

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there's a danger that the minute's applause gets overused. Fans are at a match to be entertained and to embrace the pure joy of the occasion. Those remembered in special tributes should, in my opinion, be directly linked to the club, i.e. players or staff. The football ground then seems appropriate as a place of remembrance.

However, if SWFC deem this sad loss worthy of a minute's applause and want to support the family at an amazingly difficult time, then only the hard-hearted would rail against it. If I was there, I'd join in. I don't know the family but I do know what loss feels like. 

Its sad that people have to share their grief publicly. You see it all the time on facebook and the like and it all comes over a bit false, like its the person who wants sympathy more than appreciation or remembrance for the deceased.

I'm sure that's not the case here and if i was there i would join in as it would seem churlish not to, but for me, grief should be private.

Whether you agree with the clap or not, how can anyone say this has "nothing to do" with Sheffield Wednesday? It has everything to do with Sheffield Wednesday.

Aren't the family Wendies fans? In which case, you can't be much more 'to do' with Sheffield Wednesday. They're the club more than the players are.

Some decent points have been made but that one isn't one of them.

Whether you agree with the clap or not, how can anyone say this has "nothing to do" with Sheffield Wednesday? It has everything to do with Sheffield Wednesday.

Aren't the family Wendies fans? In which case, you can't be much more 'to do' with Sheffield Wednesday. They're the club more than the players are.

Some decent points have been made but that one isn't one of them.

The baby's not going to be the only Wendies fan that died this past week, I'm sure. Are we going to have a minute's applause for each of them?

As for the issue of not clapping, no-one's that much of an idiot, even if they don't agree with it. I think that's where respect comes in, not whether you agree with it or not.

I cannot see any logic whatsoever in anyone who is 'anti' this gesture posting anything in this thread. All that you are doing is making people think less of you. Maintain a dignified silence.

I wasn't going to post, in fact, I didn't. Then people started accusing others of 'disrespect' and felt compelled to say my piece.

like a few have said on here having constant minute applauses will make them lose their taste

And what I find is, out of 20,000, 30,000 fans that will be attending today what are the chances that only one of them had baby's or children that died at an extremely young age, or how about take an average of 20,000 fans for each club at home (including us) that's 480,000 fans, and I'd say that there's a pretty damn high chance of more than one person having a family related premature death, yet I never heard a single request for this last season, you can hardly call it a unique event unlike Bradford and Liverpool or Colin (who is an important figure within derby)

I will not condemn those who do want to show their support for what I am sure are two good people but I have given my reasoning for I think what is why people who won't be joining in is their reason as well, is valid enough for other people to accept it rather than condemn us for having a different opinion and range of thought than everyone else,

Archived