SWFC fan...

Freshfish

Just noticing at the Leeds-Boro game. It looks like they have a minutes silence at the start of the first game, for members of the 'Leeds family' lost throughout the year. Seems a sensible idea

A much much better idea imo.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the probleam with kids today no respect what so ever but this is a family just been riped apart if someone not clapping at least give a nudge in the ribs. Even I think she desevers a decent send off. Is it to much just to be a little understanding or how would some of you feel if it was your kids just died and see someone talking at least bow your heads and remain silent is that to much to ask.

I think the probleam with kids today no respect what so ever but this is a family just been riped apart if someone not clapping at least give a nudge in the ribs. Even I think she desevers a decent send off. Is it to much just to be a little understanding or how would some of you feel if it was your kids just died and see someone talking at least bow your heads and remain silent is that to much to ask.

Give it a rest. I've already said I wouldn't do anything to disrupt it but I wouldn't clap. Stop trying to bully people into doing it.

I think unless a former player/manager of either of the sides playing has passed away in the previous week, it's the anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster/Bradford fire or Remembrance Sunday then this sort of mass applauding for dead fans/relatives of dead fans/dead pets of fans should be reserved for the last day of the season.  Football is an escape and entertainment and shouldn't be used to emotionally blackmail fans into acting in a prescribed way - i.e. if we don't clap today for someone who, with respect, means absolutely nothing to 99% of people at the ground, then we'll be branded a "disgrace" and "scum".

Just my opinion.  Obviously tragic, but there has to be a line.

..blimey...don't argue amongst yourselves. My request was just don't disrupt things. If you don't agree with it that is anyones right...just don't clap...it isn't disrespectful. It's pretty simple really and in the overall scheme of things not worth arguing about given the loss of the family and indeed tragedies all over the world. Life goes on...let's just be thankful we're all alive on such a lovely day.  x

Does it really do any harm to show a bit of compassion to a family ripped apart by tragedy.

No but you're not really showing them compassion whilst you're stood there clapping half heartedly whilst talking to your mate inbetween stuffing mouthful's of pie into your gob are you.  It's all a false, superficial show of grief and togetherness designed for nothing other than boosting one's own morality quota for the year.  It's saying "look at me, I care about people".

By all means if you wish to support the family write them a letter of condolence or donate to a charity of their choosing or something, I just don't think it has a place at a football stadium where you know, people go to enjoy themselves.  Maybe i'm a harsh b*stard, I dunno.

What I meant was here we go with another long thread on an already covered topic. Jeez. Yes it's painfully sad and being a Dad of 3 myself I'm not sure how you would ever get over it but Im just not one to share my grief with thousands of unknowns and would rather my pain be kept out of the limelight and private.

Fair enough but that first comment is always going to set people off, just don't understand why people wouldn't either clap or maintain a dignified silence.

I don't understand this at all, definitely not how I'd go about grieving.

Having said that, if this is something that will make the family feel better, it's not exactly difficult for those Derby fans that'll be there to join in.

And for those who don't agree with it, don't join in. What's the use in arguing? As long as no one kicks up a fuss, it's not disrespectful to just stand quietly while it happens.

Fair enough but that first comment is always going to set people off, just don't understand why people wouldn't either clap or maintain a dignified silence.

Of course, I expect everyone there will do one or the other, I'd like to think no one short if Hitler himself is a big enough tosser to try to deliberately disrupt this sort of thing.

The problem is the debate it reopens that has been done to death in the forum.

I'm personally against minutes silences / applauses for all but the most poignant of circumstances, so this is always going to get on my tits, and I think other feel the same. But I'd never not respect it.

And for those who don't agree with it, don't join in. What's the use in arguing? As long as no one kicks up a fuss, it's not disrespectful to just stand quietly while it happens.

I agree, but the problem is that a few people are kicking off a fuss by saying it's disrespectful. If someone tried to embarrass me into doing it on the day, I'd quietly tell them where they can go.

Anyway, seems like most of the debate has been had. COYR

Pretty sure most people forgot about it at first, the applause can't have been more than 35-40 secs long.

Every Derby fan around me joined in.

There was also a spontaneous applause in the pub beforehand, at about 1:45??

Archived