SWFC fan...

Freshfish

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To the ones fefusing how would like it if one of your family passing not showing no respect.

I wouldn't ask their passing to be honoured at a football match, to be perfectly honest.

To me, it's got no relevance. People (sadly) die all the time and, if we were to start honouring them at matches of the teams who their families (or they) support, we'd be doing it every week.

Respect to those who join in though, it's their choice of course.

If one of my family passed away I wouldnt be contacting the club to ask for a stadium full of people i dont know to share my grief. Where the only thing in common we would have is our favourite football team.  No matter how bigger supporter of the rams he/she was.

Bradford, hillsbrough, happened at a football match, so the football family should pay its respects.

Oh and I agree with everything Scott just said in the above post!

Well I dont this a baby just died for god sake she was just a few weeks she never got tge chance to live her life I have a little cousin who I just met last year and saw her again recenltey she lives in yorkshire just 3 and if anything I would be gutted I would want a footballing family around Me.

Well I dont this a baby just died for god sake she was just a few weeks she never got tge chance to live her life I have a little cousin who I just met last year and saw her again recenltey she lives in yorkshire just 3 and if anything I would be gutted I would want a footballing family around Me.

No one should lose their child, it's a horrible thing to happen. However, as Scott said, people die all the time and as sad as that is, it doesn't have any relevance to Derby County away at Hillsborough. If you want to clap, fair enough, but don't criticise others for not.

Do think it's a bit silly/disrespectful to stand their tomorrow not clapping out of some principle about the over use of minutes applauses. A baby has died, come on, just join in out of respect for the occasion. 

I completely agree though that it's getting stupid and these shouldnt be happening at football matches.

Before and after is the time to raise the issue, not during.

I'd clap, but I think the occassion is ridiculous...

Why do it at a football match. It's supposed to be an enjoyable event, not a sad one. You wouldn't go to a birthday party and request that everyone claps for a minute because sadly you've lost a loved one.

There is a time and a place to do this sort of thing, and it's not at a football ground infront of 20 odd thousand strangers who want to have an enjoyable afternoon.

Colin Bloomfield is a Derby fan who has served the community and the club for years. Bradford and Liverpool were football disasters. This is the daughter of a football fan. No disrespect intended but how far are we gonna go? My cat died last year (I bloody loved that cat, last time I cried), I don't expect you to clap for Mr. Trouble? It's not disrespectful to stand there in silence, I think it's a silly idea.

my dogs glad your,e cats dead

I cannot see any logic whatsoever in anyone who is 'anti' this gesture posting anything in this thread. All that you are doing is making people think less of you. Maintain a dignified silence.

As others have said, I want my football days out to be enjoyable and fun not sombre. For me, funerals are the place for grieving not football grounds.

I would say an article in the programme and something on the scoreboard are fitting gestures. Is 20 odd thousand random people clapping going to prove anything? Surely the family must know that everyone feels sorry for them already?

Would be interesting to see what happened if either team scored during the minute

What a pathetic response - I just hope something similar never happens to you! I'm not going to the match but am confident all true Rams fans will do the right thing by this extremely unfortunate family.

What I meant was here we go with another long thread on an already covered topic. Jeez. Yes it's painfully sad and being a Dad of 3 myself I'm not sure how you would ever get over it but Im just not one to share my grief with thousands of unknowns and would rather my pain be kept out of the limelight and private.

The atmosphere at African league matches must be incredible, what with 90 minutes of straight applause.

Just saying.

People die, babies die, it's sad, but it happens all the time. Minutes silences and minutes applauses seem to be in fashion right now, the way to make your cause known. But it doesn't really achieve a great deal, collecting money outside for a charity that offers counselling to grieving families would be more useful, and make me believe it's more than just self publicity (I know that's harsh, it's clearly not self publicity in this case, but what is the motive here, what is the point, have the family been lead down this path by someone hoping to fill the local back page with something interesting for one week?)

My sisters baby died at 6hrs old, no one from the paper came to interview her about it.

Having said all that, I agree with the fact that now it's happening we should observe it. We're guests in their house.

But I would like to see our club take a pro-active stance against this sort of thing, and instead offer an outlet to fans to put a personal message in the programme, or suggest an official match day partnership with a niche charity, a different one each week, suggested by fans. Imagine if every one in a 30,000 capacity stadium donated just

Archived