Confirmed: Leon Best joins on a season-long loan

ChaddesdenRam

No one will ever be happy with a striker we sign. even if we'd signed McCormack people would have moaned. He's a proven Premier League striker, if anything he's the most proven player we've signed for years. He's not on his last legs either, firmly in his prime.

I'm sure he'll flourish in our team (who are quite good at scoring goals, not sure if you've noticed) and push Martin all the way.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He can't be any more lazy than Martin can he?! Martin did ok last season didn't he, even though his movement is limited. This guy could rip it up in the championship, especially with the quality of service he will be getting up top.

First 20 goal a season striker in about 2 decades, and a crucial part of the top scoring team in the division last season. I don't care if he opens a beer on field and pulls out a deck chair if he can keep doing that.

He can't be any more lazy than Martin can he?! Martin did ok last season didn't he, even though his movement is limited. This guy could rip it up in the championship, especially with the quality of service he will be getting up top.

Rather than lazy, I think it's fair to say Martin is very 'economical' with his movement.  He doesn't run down every lost cause like Sammon or Bryson do, but you don't very often see him standing on the half way line with his hands on his hips.  If he gives the ball away, he puts the effort in to get it back.  And we'd arguably less effective if Martin was consistently out of position chasing the ball - having a fixed focal point with everyone else running off him seems to work for us.

If all goes to plan, we won't ever have to rely on Best, so he might get a few goals without the pressure. And besides, he could get away with only getting about 5 or 6 goals and still be counted as a success if Martin is scoring and stays fit. Look at what Burnley did in January with Ashley Barnes. Didn't need him, they had Vokes and Ings.... until Vokes did his ACL... He couldn't replicate Vokes' goals but he still got a few and they still got autos. 

Ashley Barnes, Premier League footballer.

Now, that tickles me :lol: . He'll be a success, if he is a success. He could score absolutely nothing, but if he plays well and the team win because of his input, it won't matter. Strikers aren't all about numbers on paper, it's about the contribution to the side too. Obviously goals are the main one, but he could be a success without scoring a single goal too.

I feel he just needs to fill the role that Martin plays to do well, if he can do well with his back to goal and supplement our forward runners then we'll have played a blinder. That's what Sammon, Bennett, Russell...etc would all struggle with and that's why Martin is so important to the side.

No one will ever be happy with a striker we sign. even if we'd signed McCormack people would have moaned. He's a proven Premier League striker, if anything he's the most proven player we've signed for years. He's not on his last legs either, firmly in his prime.

I'm sure he'll flourish in our team (who are quite good at scoring goals, not sure if you've noticed) and push Martin all the way.

Proven Premier League striker? Come off it.

Fairly pleased with the signing though, if it was permanent I'd probably feel differently. 

Cant understand this at all Blackburn will be challenging us for a playoff spot this season so Best is that good theyre willing to loan one of their players to one of their competitors all season? Or perhaps the other explanation is thay he's not that good. The argument that at least he's better than Sammon is a poor one my granny would be an improvement.

Archived