Confirmed: Leon Best joins on a season-long loan

ChaddesdenRam

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love it when people say it's a no lose situation. There's always a risk. True, we don't have him permanently, but whilst he's here, if it doesn't work it could:

a) cost us a load of money, or worse still

b) cost us promotion

No signing is ever risk free. I hope it works for him and us.

Quick point here he's on loan for a year and we are paying say half his wages or probably less.

We signed Thorne for 2-3 Million and FFP now comes into the equation as we spent our quota ?

BEST is the BEST option by miles in the circumstances as FFP will not be an issue.

PS Why would his goals cost us promotion its more likely they will fire us to promotion if he gets his head down and feeds off our brilliant build up play.

Loan transfer is ideal. Low cost and low risk (if he's ***** or has a bad attitude, we can presumably just send him back). If we go up, we don't take him back on loan so that we have space for another, prem-quality forward in the squad. If we don't go up and he plays well, we presumably have a first option on signing him.

win win all around. If it doesnt work out he'll go back.

Not worried about this attitude thing going around...you need a maverick now and again. Rather have him come on with 20 to go chasing a game than Sammon.

If he gets more than 2 goals, he'll be better than Sammon and will, therefore, improve the squad.

I'm not that bothered about goals though. The main thing we lost when Martin was out was the hold-up and link-up play. Best's a big lad so hopefully he can fill those gaps if Chrissy gets injured/suspended.

This has got the signs of a McClaren masterstroke written all over it.

He scores at 0.283 goals per 90 minutes based on his entire career at Championship level. Also gets around 0.137 assists per 90 too. That's actually very decent all things considered, so no point complaining about his scoring record.

If he's come in to play deputy to Martin I really don't see the issue.

Good luck to him.

I think he rather be wanting to play first team football glen murry would there no to ask them they could only so no.

:huh:  :wacko:

Anyway, nothing wrong with this signing on the face of it. If he's guff then he's guff, we'll deal with it. He can play into our system and can play Martin's role, comfortably. I'm not ecstatic about the signing and I'm not going to rush out to get Best on the back of my shirt, but I can appreciate that this is a fairly well worthwhile gamble to take.  

anyone seen the ramsplayer interview with him?

when he's walking across the car park, is that sammon walking in the background to get in his car?? :-P

He scores at 0.283 goals per 90 minutes based on his entire career at Championship level. Also gets around 0.137 assists per 90 too. That's actually very decent all things considered, so no point complaining about his scoring record.

If he's come in to play deputy to Martin I really don't see the issue.

Good luck to him.

Those are very decent stats - it equates to being involved in around 19 or 20 goals a season. OK, that's assuming he plays full games, but there are many goals scored late in the game when teams tire and lose concentration so although his actual numbers may be less at Derby, his pro-rata contribution may be higher.

Archived