Confirmed: Leon Best joins on a season-long loan

ChaddesdenRam

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who thinks you can get significantly better to come to us as an obvious understudy to one of the most impressive centre forwards in the league is living in dreamland.

As has been said, he's an improvement on Sammon.

No striker looks good in a team struggling to create chances, whereas with our midfield behind you it's difficult to look that bad. Martin didn't look particularly impressive when we had him on loan and we were struggling.

I'm actually really pleased with this, it was a major concern to me that we were going into the new season with Sammon as our second choice centre forward. I don't want to be part of the "slag off Sammon" brigade but I think it's difficult to argue that he's of the standard needed for what we want to do and where we want to go. The bloke's great and everything, but he's an answer to a different question - a question we probably never needed to ask in the first place mind.

Proven Premier League striker? Come off it.

Fairly pleased with the signing though, if it was permanent I'd probably feel differently. 

He's scored goals in the Premier League, people who're criticising are the sort of people who'd only take goalscoring records into account and beg for us to sign a CB of equivalent stature to Best.

He's scored a hat-trick in the second best league in the world, that's more than proven enough for this level. But you're notoriously cynical, so fair do's.

SuperSheep - sorry, can't quote on internet explorer at work (won't work because Daveo's ****)

i didnt specifically mention any formation this time, probably was me before though! Thinking about it we are strongest depth wise in midfeild and 3 seems to be working, I know "dont change what isnt broken" but I always enjoy a manager trying out new tactics and ideas. Makes it harder for opposition teams to find a weakness but hey ho 4-3-3 we go!

I don't understand the comments that his attitude is awful.

If that's the case, why would Steve go for him? They both know the manner of the team which Leon is coming into, would Steve really look to sign one player - that if his reputation is anything to go by - could potentially destroy all that has been built in the past few years?

Lets wait for a couple of appearances in a Derby shirt before we really judge him.

When his name was first mentioned in this thread, i said i was underwhelmed, i am.... but thats because i am ambitious for this club as many of us are, that said, i accept the arguement that is must be difficult to tempt someone to come to us, when their prospect is to be a sub.. with Martin 1st choice.

A lot has been said about his attitude, i have faith that Mac and Co have susssed whether he's 'mentally fit'  for this club, and i hope my faith is rewarded, or questions will start to be asked about their managerial skills, as they will if he's a donkey now on the pitch !

So, i cant wait to be overwhelmed when he cracks in his 1st against Shef Weds :cool:  and 2 more against florist :wub:

That absolutely stinks, can't believe we're putting this bad apple in the dressing room.

It's about his 5th fresh start/time he's "grown up" isn't it?

Obviously I want him to be sound and i hope everyone makes him feel welcome when he inevitably comes on on Saturday. I'm just cynical about his attitude.

We've all sat here and praised the attitude, team spirit and down to earth behaviour of the lads Nigel brought together. We've all praised that. Buxton is considered a model professional. And Barker.

What he's said on twitter is exactly what you'd expect? What's the alternative? "I can't wait to bless derby with my incredible talent"?

Believe it or not I'm not writing him off and as a player he's always looked between decent and good in the top two tiers. We can't sit here and claim to know any players attitude. But Best is as concerning as anyone else I think we could bring in (he's also as good as anyone else we could look to buy tbf). If he turns out to be an expensive d1ck then the warning signs were there.

Even McClaren and Best acknowledge he's got baggage. This may be an exciting fresh start for Best. But I bet he said that last time.

Not writing him off, not especially happy with him coming though. Better than Sammon and I'd expect him to push Martin really hard if he's screwed his head back on.

It's about his 5th fresh start/time he's "grown up" isn't it?

Obviously I want him to be sound and i hope everyone makes him feel welcome when he inevitably comes on on Saturday. I'm just cynical about his attitude.

We've all sat here and praised the attitude, team spirit and down to earth behaviour of the lads Nigel brought together. We've all praised that. Buxton is considered a model professional. And Barker.

What he's said on twitter is exactly what you'd expect? What's the alternative? "I can't wait to bless derby with my incredible talent"?

Believe it or not I'm not writing him off and as a player he's always looked between decent and good in the top two tiers. We can't sit here and claim to know any players attitude. But Best is as concerning as anyone else I think we could bring in (he's also as good as anyone else we could look to buy tbf). If he turns out to be an expensive d1ck then the warning signs were there.

Even McClaren and Best acknowledge he's got baggage. This may be an exciting fresh start for Best. But I bet he said that last time.

Not writing him off, not especially happy with him coming though. Better than Sammon and I'd expect him to push Martin really hard if he's screwed his head back on.

To be fair to him, that little caption on the Instagram pic is probably the most enthusiastic message I've seen from a footballer at a new club.

Like you, I'm always sceptical of what they say (even Bryson's "when Derby offered me a 5 year contract, it was an easy decision). I genuinely believe Best though. He's going to be a good acquisition for us, I can feel it.

Archived