Tom Carroll set for loan - Herts and Essex Observer

Carl Sagan

I'm still baffled as to how any Derby fan who has watched Hughes play EVER - can seriously suggest him as a DM??

He is lightweight as they come - lost count if the times he ended up on his arris whenever he challenged for the ball. He has many great qualities - none of which lend themselves to DM

Totally with you on that mate - cracking with the distribution side of that position but not the "destroyer" side. Not a DM

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has Hughes ever really played DM ina game that's fair to judge him on? He played against Millwall, but that just was a constant no go for us because we didn't have Martin up top. We never really got into any flow in that game, but he was actually quite good (from what I sort of half-ish remember and didn't really put a foot wrong).

On the topic of Carroll, I'd like to point out that Thorne's loan spell at Watford was awful and he was dismissed by their fans.

Coutts is injured is he ? I thought he had been training ? If were playing that formation then ideally we need a CDM mid in because Hughes is far more effective playing higher up than he is sitting

Hip Flexor wasn't it? Either way hes untested at either role in our current system. 

Definitely not. The mob has spoken.

"http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy101/luckyeddie_photo/mob-simpsons" alt="mob-simpsons">

bout right!

I'm still baffled as to how any Derby fan who has watched Hughes play EVER - can seriously suggest him as a DM??

He is lightweight as they come - lost count if the times he ended up on his arris whenever he challenged for the ball. He has many great qualities - none of which lend themselves to DM

Because he's brilliant at winning the ball back and has more vision than the rest of our squad (GT permitting) combined? 

He's lightweight but you don't need to break someone to break up play, I wouldn't say he's much different in build to Busqets who is currently (in a lot of people's opinions) the best DM in the world. 

We've got Martin as a sort of play maker up top as well as Bryson. Hendrick is great because he's more direct along with Russell and Ward.

For me, Hughes as a DM is spot on. Tom Carroll will have to lodge Bryson or Hendrick out of the team if he comes.

Great competition for players in midfield.

When the game is against a so called 'lesser' team that is likely to be sitting back against us then Hughes can play the DM role as he can pick the ball up off our CB's and start attacks...but against teams who will come at us or away games we will need a proper DM in there either Eustace or a loan...there is no difference in terms of build etc between Hughes + Carroll...if Carroll can play the role then Hughes can do it better

I've noticed he is lightweight, and gets kicked up in the air too. Perhaps we should as an insurance get Bucko to tie some string to his ankle so we can make sure he doesn't just drift away.

It's CB we need to strengthen with out of sorts keogh and forever injured whitbread, MF isn't the issue.

Eustace did a fine job for the first 30 odd games and Thorne only got in due to suspension, if he does that again Thorne will be back by then

I've noticed he is lightweight, and gets kicked up in the air too. Perhaps we should as an insurance get Bucko to tie some string to his ankle so we can make sure he doesn't just drift away.

It's Andy Reid who's like a balloon

(the shape, that is)

Can honestly say I don't think in my relatively short time with season ticket  at the club (10 years), I have disliked a Derby player as much as I did Tom Carroll.

If we do sign him I wish him all the luck in the world, but as I say I really wasn't a fan when he was here, and he's hardly set the game alight since then.

Archived