All the hype yet what if we don't....

Day

Expectations should be high at this point, except for our gump friends who are rightly bricking it with physco at the healm.

Don't be daft. Physco is their bestest-ever manager wot they have ever had. Learnt from Cloughie you know.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main thing re this season was to keep the bulk of the team together.

Our players now have experience of maintaining a push for promotion, and this should help with next seasons campaign.

The possible loss of the three loan players may have some effect, but the way Derby players interact together both on and off the pitch means any new perm / loan additions will soon feel part of the rams family.

For me i was worried if we went up,as i stated, but with the new contract that Mac has signed i think we have moved into another era, and the board are going to do what they did with 'He who cant be named', give him a budget they are happy with  and give him time....

So if we dont make it this season there will be next, then,and if we dont make it, and only then, i believe we will see a re- think :unsure:

So i look forward to a couple of seasons where we will look to get promoted, how bad can that be....

Certainly better than the years we spent avoiding relegation !!

I think its nice to see the optimism on here - lets face it, before this last season we'd had a miserable few years & if there's no hope in football, then frankly what's the point. I honestly think that we may have a slow start though - its quite common for defeated playoff finalists, who probably struggle to motivate themselves to slog it out for 46 games again at this level when they came so close to playing at a higher level.

We will also need a period of adjustment to team changes - its very unlikely Wisdom & Bamford will be here next year & if Thorne doesn't return, that adjustment will be that more acute as he was such a vital player for us by the end of last season.

This is where us fans come in - they will need encouragement & patience. Not knee-jerk nonsense moaning that we haven't won all of our first 5 games or that we may be behind Forest at some point in the first 3 months. Its immaterial in the long run - we have a talented & hungry squad, an entertaining style of play & the right manager. I'm entirely confident of another top 6 place as a minimum.

Signing a competent back up for Martin is vital. We were lucky last season that he didn't miss many to injury, but reports seem to suggest that he has not returned in the best of shape. If we do spend big on Thorne, who do we get to back up Martin?

But it didn't hurt that Martin, possibly the most important player in our system and the one we have no like for like replacement for hardly missed any games. If he does miss games this year, who do we replace him with?

In terms of our playing squad, the majority will be better this season due to development. So we should potentially see an improvement if possible. Martin might not score 25 again, but Russell will step up this year. Same goes for Bryso, with Jeff and Will looking to up their tallies.

We've also got Fozzy, the most complete player in the league!!!

Even make the play offs this season? I've never known expectations so high.

Will there be calls for McClaren out?

The owners have coughed up a bit of money you would have thought with the new contracts being handed out, will they escape any criticism?

I'm not being negative, just asking the question what if, we know us football fans are a fickle bunch

It's going to he tough - there's more than 6 teams with money and or more expensive squads than us...but we have a good chance of doing well.

If it doesn't work out I would hope that we would want to stick with the owners, board and management team. I'm not sure we could do any better on any of those fronts.

If we get Thorne, a right back and cover for Martin we'd have to call that near ideal for the coming season with the re-signings we've had. We would want to do as well as we can, and I wouldn't rule anything out, but we need to stick behind the team even if we aren't top by the 10 game. I fear that after last season though too many people are going to have their expectations too high. I have no doubt that this team could go up, but we need to be cautious, so many teams lose the playoffs and just collapse.

Or on my wallet, still bitter about the price of beer in london...

Wasn't bad in Thirsty Eddie's. Decent Guinness too.

Archived