All the hype yet what if we don't....

Day

We have no right to think we have a spot in the play-offs.  Forest thought that and the wheels came off and out came the excuses.  Its a long season and the way Steve just took us game by game was the right approach, no boasts stating that we where going to win every game, no empty promises over signings, no behind scene melt downs.

I think we will do just fine, however i expect every team will set themselves up to stop us playing football, that will be the biggest challenge.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But...we haven't got Bamford.....or Wisdom.....or Thorne...

and I would be VERY surprised if we went all season without a couple of injuries...

and...do you really think Martin will get 25 goals this season....or Bryson get 16..?

it is going to be very hard.

Aye, something I mentioned before is that in order to achieve automatic promotion, Steve McClaren's record here would have to read around a 60% win rate over the course of 90+ games - that is no mean feat.1

Signing a competent back up for Martin is vital. We were lucky last season that he didn't miss many to injury, but reports seem to suggest that he has not returned in the best of shape. If we do spend big on Thorne, who do we get to back up Martin?

If there's anyone I wouldn't trust to judge the 'shape' of a footballer it's the casual observer standing on the sidelines or looking at match-photos of players wearing their shirts.

It reminds me of people claiming Wes Morgan was a fat ******* a few years ago - then some Forest fan put up a picture of him topless, muscles everywhere.

Chris Martin is BUILT - but that always gets confused with 'fat' by football fans, they'll be the same people chanting "You fat *******" at Ade Akinfenwa

That said, as in Akinfenwa's case, being that muscle-bbound has its' drawbacks froom a footballing perspective, see also Miles Addison and our inability to keep him away from the gym!

YOU fat *******! YOU fat *******! YOU fat *******!

"http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02395/akinfenwa595_2395776b" alt="akinfenwa595_2395776b">

It's good to be more optimistic. That said, we also need to be realistic, it's a tough old league and teams will be doing their homework on us this season far more than last. We will be one of the sides to beat and senior pros at other clubs will want to teach our talented upstarts a lesson.

I think we're 3-4 players off seriously thinking about playoffs yet because we need to adequately replace Wisdom, Thorne and Bamford who were all absolutely integral to our final league placing last year. I'd be happy to have all 3 back but I doubt that will happen.

It's great we've got the commitment from the contracted squad and I would back Steve to work some magic in the loan or transfer market to make sure we're challenging again.

If we start slowly, don't lose faith, it will come together if we keep trying to play the right way.

Archived