All the hype yet what if we don't....

Day

Even make the play offs this season? I've never known expectations so high.

Will there be calls for McClaren out?

The owners have coughed up a bit of money you would have thought with the new contracts being handed out, will they escape any criticism?

I'm not being negative, just asking the question what if, we know us football fans are a fickle bunch

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it depends entirely on the circumstances. If we were to miss out on the top 6 by a handful of points then that's just football. If we were to struggle near the bottom then it would be fair to say I'd like us to consider our options.

Depends. The only way I can see this happening is through spectacular bad luck, or catastrophic injuries. In which case there's really no one to blame.

But if we don't make it because our tactics have been found out, and we don't have a plan b, and we don't have cover. Then the blame is going to land on the Mac.

More worrying would be the aftermath. We've managed to keep the team together this season, but there's no way we could keep them all if we didn't even manage to make the play offs. The team would be decimated, and we'd have to start again.

I think the owners recognise this and know that now is the time to roll the dice. **** it bust.

But we'll be fine. We're gonna win the league.

Depends. The only way I can see this happening is through spectacular bad luck, or catastrophic injuries. In which case there's really no one to blame.

But if we don't make it because our tactics have been found out, and we don't have a plan b, and we don't have cover. Then the blame is going to land on the Mac.

More worrying would be the aftermath. We've managed to keep the team together this season, but there's no way we could keep them all if we didn't even manage to make the play offs. The team would be decimated, and we'd have to start again.

I think the owners recognise this and know that now is the time to roll the dice. **** it bust.

But we'll be fine. We're gonna win the league.

Have we kept the team together though !

Wisdom and Bamford have gone and Thorne not certain at all yet ?

Have we kept the team together though !

Wisdom and Bamford have gone and Thorne not certain at all yet ?

All three were loans. No reason why they can't be replaced by loans of a similar or better calibre (unless we've burned our bridges where loans are concerns by getting a rep for destabilising our loanees, that's a concern, but not a big one, I think the big clubs still see the value).

But it ain't over til it's over with Thorne, and even Wisdom. And we're looking at a few exciting forward options, which I think we should be looking at.

Remember, we ha our astonishing run last season without Thorne or Bamford. Our main worry is to fill the right back position, but I've no doubt well have that sorted by the start if the season. If we're talking about 4 mil fees for forwards, I'm sure there is a budget set aside for a right back. If I'm smart enough to know we need a right back, then Mac and Sam aren't going to let us start with nothing but a traffic come there.

We're in a great position where our style of football, prospects and enthusiasm make us an attractive place to be. The better players want to play for us, even above lower prem clubs. So it's a self fulfilling prophecy.

Think positive, that positivity spreads to the players, and to the prospective players. Leading to us being able to strengthen where we need to, and win the matches we didn't last season.

Also helps that we don't have to play Burnley or leicester again.

All three were loans. No reason why they can't be replaced by loans of a similar or better calibre (unless we've burned our bridges where loans are concerns by getting a rep for destabilising our loanees, that's a concern, but not a big one, I think the big clubs still see the value).

But it ain't over til it's over with Thorne, and even Wisdom. And we're looking at a few exciting forward options, which I think we should be looking at.

Remember, we ha our astonishing run last season without Thorne or Bamford. Our main worry is to fill the right back position, but I've no doubt well have that sorted by the start if the season. If we're talking about 4 mil fees for forwards, I'm sure there is a budget set aside for a right back. If I'm smart enough to know we need a right back, then Mac and Sam aren't going to let us start with nothing but a traffic come there.

We're in a great position where our style of football, prospects and enthusiasm make us an attractive place to be. The better players want to play for us, even above lower prem clubs. So it's a self fulfilling prophecy.

Think positive, that positivity spreads to the players, and to the prospective players. Leading to us being able to strengthen where we need to, and win the matches we didn't last season.

Also helps that we don't have to play Burnley or leicester again.

Agreed and I think McClaren is a great coach and thinking positive is obviously the right way to be.

But over confidence is also not something that a team should have .

The team need to work just as hard as last season and I still think top 6 would be a good achievement without further investment .

Agreed and I think McClaren is a great coach and thinking positive is obviously the right way to be.

But over confidence is also not something that a team should have .

The team need to work just as hard as last season and I still think top 6 would be a good achievement without further investment .

Agree with that. Can't remember the exact game, but there was certainly at least one that we went into last season, against one of the lower league teams, over confident, and it turned out to be a struggle. Maybe Birmingham is an example of that too.

Now every team (hopefully) will be a lower league team. We'll be the favourites in most games we play. It'll be interesting to see how we deal with that. I'm willing to bet our group of players will deal with it better than QPR did, for example.

Agree with that. Can't remember the exact game, but there was certainly at least one that we went into last season, against one of the lower league teams, over confident, and it turned out to be a struggle. Maybe Birmingham is an example of that too.

Now every team (hopefully) will be a lower league team. We'll be the favourites in most games we play. It'll be interesting to see how we deal with that. I'm willing to bet our group of players will deal with it better than QPR did, for example.

In McClaren I trust that's for sure.

Talk about pressure on a Manager well Mac has it now with all these expectations.

I look at it like this, if mac had of been there at the start of last season we would of gone up automatic.

So i have no reason to doubt we won't do it this season, and with some quality additions, even more likely.

Of course it could all go tits up, but i'm forever the optimist :D

Tbh last season I thought our aim was the play-offs or at least close. I guess it is similar this season but last year we were very much the underdogs and no one expected us to do as well as we did. Now were are one of the favorites and every team will react as such. Its up to us to rise to the challenge.

Expectations are rightly high. We had an amazing team last season which hasn't got any worse, and we've cancelled out the play-off hangover with a string of good news regarding keeping our best players.

Momentum's on our side, dunna worry.

Even make the play offs this season? I've never known expectations so high.

Will there be calls for McClaren out?

The owners have coughed up a bit of money you would have thought with the new contracts being handed out, will they escape any criticism?

I'm not being negative, just asking the question what if, we know us football fans are a fickle bunch

Steve out, Yanks out!

I still have that niggling feeling that without a couple of big signings we're short of where we were last season,

I know we are playing it safe and we will only sign someone after about a months negotiation and making sure we get the best price (like shopping around town for a playstation game to save

Expectations are rightly high. We had an amazing team last season which hasn't got any worse, and we've cancelled out the play-off hangover with a string of good news regarding keeping our best players.

Momentum's on our side, dunna worry.

But...we haven't got Bamford.....or Wisdom.....or Thorne...

and I would be VERY surprised if we went all season without a couple of injuries...

and...do you really think Martin will get 25 goals this season....or Bryson get 16..?

it is going to be very hard.

But...we haven't got Bamford.....or Wisdom.....or Thorne...

and I would be VERY surprised if we went all season without a couple of injuries...

and...do you really think Martin will get 25 goals this season....or Bryson get 16..?

it is going to be very hard.

We've got over a month left.

Will be listening to Bob Marley in the mean time.

Shame about the weather but that should pick up again after this weekend.

Archived