James McClean

Stuniverse

being a "young person" I couldn't disagree with this more

Still recovering from my embarrassment over falling for the Poom / booing thingy...and tipping an impossible World Cup final, I'll risk all of my remaining hard won credibility and go double or nothing...

Is it possible that niram is, in fact, the 1D kiddy in disguise? I mean, that profile pic looks "similar"...and his name is Nisomething...

Has anyone ever seen them in the same (chat)room at the same time?

* for the mathematical genii among us, I am aware two times nothing is...ummmm....a concept introduced to Europeans by Arabic civilisation banging down the gates of the city....

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will not buy into the whole poppy thing, he has every right not to support the British army if he doesn't want to. 

In the same respect, I wouldn't blame any German who has connections to WWII to support the British Army even though they were obviously the instigators and in the wrong. It's just one of those things. 

It's completely unrelated to football, anyhow. 

Still recovering from my embarrassment over falling for the Poom / booing thingy...and tipping an impossible World Cup final, I'll risk all of my remaining hard won credibility and go double or nothing...

Is it possible that niram is, in fact, the 1D kiddy in disguise? I mean, that profile pic looks "similar"...and his name is Nisomething...

* for the mathematical genii among us, I am aware two times nothing is...ummmm....a concept introduced to Europeans by Arabic civilisation banging down the gates of the city....

One direction are taking over dcfcfans :)

If he doesn't respect our traditions why doesn't he return to his council estate in Londonderry? Perhaps at his job interview he can confirm whether it was Martin McGuiness on the trigger of the Thompson sub machine gun which shot 4 unarmed policemen in a car and precipitated Bloody Sunday. It is a 50/50 chance that it was.

Don't pretend not to understand.

Exactly what traditions does he not respect?

He expressed his opinion and lived by the creed of his upbringing. If that isn't one of the noblest traditions of these islands, I don't know what is.

Since when has wearing a poppy been one of the cornerstones of our culture?

Honestly, the amount of militaristic crap spouted on this forum is ridiculous. Some people have suffered at the hands of the British army. If that causes them to not wear a poppy, then that's fine by me. Clearly the lad doesn't see himself as British, so why respect people who he probably sees as invaders?

I will not buy into the whole poppy thing, he has every right not to support the British army if he doesn't want to. 

In the same respect, I wouldn't blame any German who has connections to WWII to support the British Army even though they were obviously the instigators and in the wrong. It's just one of those things. 

It's completely unrelated to football, anyhow.

To be serious for a second, I am as 'right wing' as anyone but totally agree. One of the central tenets of democratic tradition is that you are right to express dissent within the bounds of the law. There's no suggestion he's done anything other than express his opinion.

As an Australian of English / Scottish heritage, I may argue with his views but I absolutely respect his right to express them without penalty.

As a ex soldier, My opinion is that James McClean choice to wear a poppy or not is his choice which is what I joined the Army to protect, the freedom of free thought and free speech its his choice. He is not hurting anybody he just does not want to wear a poppy lets move on and just judge him on the merits of his footballing ability to improve our football team if he joins us.

To be serious for a second, I am as 'right wing' as anyone but totally agree. One of the central tenets of democratic tradition is that you are right to express dissent within the bounds of the law. There's no suggestion he's done anything other than express his opinion.

As an Australian of English / Scottish heritage, I may argue with his views but I absolutely respect his right to express them without penalty.

Totally agree 

I wouldn't want to sign him simply because I don't think he's very good. Yes he's reasonably quick & powerful but his technique is poor, he seems to lack football "intelligence" & his end product is very ordinary. I think as a club we need to be prioritising players who are comfortable in possession & able to contribute to what I hope will continue to be a progressive style of play. As opposed to signing folk who's sole attribute is to "be a bit of a nuisance"

If McClean is the best we can get in this country for

As a ex soldier, My opinion is that James McClean choice to wear a poppy or not is his choice which is what I joined the Army to protect, the freedom of free thought and free speech its his choice. He is not hurting anybody he just does not want to wear a poppy lets move on and just judge him on the merits of his footballing ability to improve our football team if he joins us.

Quite seriously, the best post on this subject!

I too am underwhelmed with the players were supposedly interested in. Matej Vydra was championship player of the year just over a year Iago. He is very quick and strong on the ball and has been allowed to return to Watford on loan. Why no interest? Lloyd Dyer is a pacey winger who has been transferred from Leicester to Watford on a free! If Ward is leaving surely McCormack is an ideal replacement albeit he scores more goals.In addition if we sign Jutkiewicz from Boro does that mean Sammon has to find another club?

Dyer is a great player at this level. I would of loved him at Derby. Every time I saw him against us, he tore us a new one.

PistoldPete2

Fine, and I have the right to express dissent by booing him every time he touches the ball.

Fine, and I have the right to express dissent by booing him every time he touches the ball.

Agree. And I would support your right to do that even though I don't agree with you.

But I'd say your rights stop of trying to deny him a job because of his views. Not that I am suggesting you have said that.

PistoldPete2

Maybe we could make him wear a poppy then we could hold a minutes silence on Bloody Sunday in return? If we sign an an Indian player we could have a minutes silence to honour the one million people who died after the British partitioned the country? After all its nothing to do with politics, we should respect the dead of other countries, its basic humanity. Seriously, the day we force people to wear poppies its time to pack up. He's Irish, they don't wear poppies, it doesn't offend me, I don't wear a shamrock. I didn't celebrate the Batle of Bannockburn yesterday either, funnily enough, and American Independence day always passes me by.

I haven't see a player that we are linked with who meets the approval of Derby fans yet - not good enough, too old, doesn't wear a poppy (but they are only newspaper reumours when all said and done). Derby fans are experts on every player in the country it seems! Only Thorne fits the bill apparently he he won't be coming.

Some peope dont get it at all. If I was an English cricketer playing in the India Premier League and they decided to honour the Sikhs who were shot at Amritisar, or an Englishman playing  Gaelic Football in Ireland , commemorating Bloody Sunday , or playing in the Bundeslig and they wanted to honour the people killed by carpet bombing in Dresden, I would not have a problem. Its not a question of whether you believe we should have had troops in Iraq or Northern Ireland or wherever.   People protesting about "poppies" really mis-understand the whole thing they are making an issue or statement for no reason. There is no triumpalism, militarism, politicisation or nationalism or anything of the kind.

Some peope dont get it at all. If I was an English cricketer playing in the India Premier League and they decided to honour the Sikhs who were shot at Amritisar, or an Englishman playing  Gaelic Football in Ireland , commemorating Bloody Sunday , or playing in the Bundeslig and they wanted to honour the people killed by carpet bombing in Dresden, I would not have a problem. Its not a question of whether you believe we should have had troops in Iraq or Northern Ireland or wherever.   People protesting about "poppies" really mis-understand the whole thing they are making an issue or statement for no reason. There is no triumpalism, militarism, politicisation or nationalism or anything of the kind.

I think it's you who doesn't get it. None of your hypothetical Englishmen would have been closely involved in any of the events that you mention. McClean came from the place where the massacre happened and it will have big personal meaning for him as opposed to the generic Englishman in hypothetical environments.

Also I don't see anyone protesting about poppies. 

you got me!

Archived