James McClean

Stuniverse

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's you who doesn't get it. None of your hypothetical Englishmen would have been closely involved in any of the events that you mention. McClean came from the place where the massacre happened and it will have big personal meaning for him as opposed to the generic Englishman in hypothetical environments.

Also I don't see anyone protesting about poppies.

I'd add you're missing a further fundamental point, Pete. It is your right to hold that view and act upon it.

But not insist that others uphold your standards.

Hey mate. Big fan of your work (if I had ever heard it). Great tatts (I think you're the one with tatts).

Now...may I borrow a few thousand pounds?

hm would you rather I gave some money to the club for Thorne? ;)

I had a quick look on the Ireland fans forum, they seem to rate him as a 'great player' but a bit of a muppet off the pitch.

I'll still be honest and say I've never been hugely impressed with him, when he signed last season and posters on here were terrified of what he'd do to the league - I said I didn't think he'd do much, I was right.

We'll see, Uwe Rosler really rates McClean apparently so I don't think

Totally hilarious thread. Who ever said there was nothing to talk (ie argue) about in the close season? And who would have thought Gouloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooze would get a mention. Quite forgotten the guy.

hm would you rather I gave some money to the club for Thorne? ;)

Sing him up! ;)

Uwe Rosler believes Wigan's James McClean has all the traits to be one of the country's best wingers.

The Republic of Ireland international, 24, trebled his Latics goal tally with a brace in the 3-1 win over Ipswich on Saturday which helped Rosler's side to their eighth straight victory in all competitions.

However, McClean has enjoyed an up-and-down first season at the DW Stadium, where he moved to after failing to make the grade at Sunderland despite a dazzling first few games in the north east.

Rosler admits that McClean, who joined the Black Cats from across the Irish Sea in 2011, is still a very raw prospect but is encouraged by the progress he is making under his tutelage.

"James is raw in many ways," the German said. "He's not come through the usual academy systems; he's come from Ireland. He has pure talent - there is a lot to work with.

"He is a player who can go all the way as long as he wants to go all the way. He has enormous potential to be even better and it's up to me and up to him to get more out of him and his potential.

"He's relatively young and he brings so much for a player in that position - he's quick, he can dribble, he's unpredictable and he has stamina, he can do it for 90 minutes. He can score goals, I think he should score more goals because he's very good in the air, he should attack more crosses."

Rosler is one of the more animated managers in the country and given McClean is usually stationed out on the left, there is nowhere to hide when he fails to heed instructions.

His boss admits he does work a lot with the Irish winger but is impressed with the progression he has made since Rosler's arrival in December.

Rosler continued: "I think he's heading in the right direction but there's a lot more to come from him.

"I think he sees that by himself. He's enjoying his football and he knows that we are working with him.

"Sometimes he gets annoyed about us working too much with him but he's coming on and he's in a good place at the moment.

"He's playing three, four starts out of five so that shows that he is a very important part of our team and we have to use him in the right way. I'm very happy to have him."

If he doesn't respect our traditions why doesn't he return to his council estate in Londonderry? Perhaps at his job interview he can confirm whether it was Martin McGuiness on the trigger of the Thompson sub machine gun which shot 4 unarmed policemen in a car and precipitated Bloody Sunday. It is a 50/50 chance that it was.

Or maybe we could realise that we live in the 21st century and this divisionist nonsense should have been left in the previous century. I was trying to get the point across without needing to actually mention Bloody Sunday, but of course, people need to have their lovely opinions about everything.

Here's a question though, why does it matter to you what he thinks? Why can't people simply allow others to have their own thoughts on matters with no definable answer. Yes, there is plenty in this world you can test, argue, measure and make educated statements about, but this isn't one of them. We shouldn't be concerned with why he doesn't want to wear a poppy, it doesn't matter if it's for Bloody Sunday or if it's because he once had a nightmare about giant killer poppies piloted by magical gnomes coming to eat his stamp collection, it's irrelevant, he's allowed decline such things, and anyone should be. We don't live in a world where people need to all walk, talk, think and act the same to get along, that's something we can move past. Different people hold different things dear, and that's what makes the world as wonderful as it is, not people standing around enraged that others don't think and do exactly as they do.

Cherish and embrace that fact that we live in a world where we can think differently, those differences is the fabric of humanity, it's what's made our lives what they are today. Don't be the ones to stand around and proclaim "but that's not how WE do it" as though that's somehow a reason they should do it the same.

Can he take a decent set piece? We desperately need someone, who can actually put the ball in the danger zone. Should be high on the priority list and that's why Eagles would be perfect! His wages are high though, and would probably demand a 2-3 year contract!

PistoldPete2

I think it's you who doesn't get it. None of your hypothetical Englishmen would have been closely involved in any of the events that you mention. McClean came from the place where the massacre happened and it will have big personal meaning for him as opposed to the generic Englishman in hypothetical environments.

Also I don't see anyone protesting about poppies. 

Was this McLean character closely invoved in Bloody Sunday? Dont think so . He wasnt born. Neither was i when during the world wars , but i certainly have or had relatives who were affected by both.  As I say its nothing to do with politics or nationalism. Its the fact that hes an arrogant, ignorant tw@ and I don't want him at this club. 

Please can we stop the talk of Eagles! He's cack, hence why he's never actually done anything... People on here seem to think he's some kind if god.... #justsayin

I think he's a top player and under the right coaching would be one of the best players in the division.

As for not doing anything, I guess you could say that about every player in our team and pretty much most every player in the division.

Eagles has won promotion twice and played a key part, he also won the community shield with Manchester United.

That's more than every single one of our players, I believe. I would have snapped him up long ago, I'd dare to bet if he was to have a trial with us he would shine and people would rave about him - I'll hold on to the hope he does get a trial.

Was this McLean character closely invoved in Bloody Sunday? Dont think so . He wasnt born. Neither was i when during the world wars , but i certainly have or had relatives who were affected by both.  As I say its nothing to do with politics or nationalism. Its the fact that hes an arrogant, ignorant tw@ and I don't want him at this club. 

Your missing the point again but I think we get the picture with your last paragraph, which speaks for itself. 

I think he's a top player and under the right coaching would be one of the best players in the division.

As for not doing anything, I guess you could say that about every player in our team and pretty much most every player in the division.

Eagles has won promotion twice and played a key part, he also won the community shield with Manchester United.

That's more than every single one of our players, I believe. I would have snapped him up long ago, I'd dare to bet if he was to have a trial with us he would shine and people would rave about him - I'll hold on to the hope he does get a trial.

Well when you put it like that..... Jeez! Nearly bought a tear to my eye ;)

All in all I've never believed he was a great player, but if he came here then I would wholeheartedly cheer him on and wish him the best in proving me horrendously wrong!

Archived