Jamie Ward

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought our ideology was keep the core of our team for this transfer window? In my opinion, Ward is in that. Maybe he had a drought at the end of last year but I wouldn't sell him!

Granted he's getting older now so I'd bring in Keiran Agard, who won't be much as I think his contract has expired or expires soon. And let them battle it out for first team. The competition will help them both!

Is Ward good enough to start? Good debate.

But to sell him? Why would any 2nd tier club not want him as an option?

Wouldn't cry if he was sold but I'd much prefer to see players of his quality sat on our bench. If Jamie Ward is your back up wide player then your first choice must be pretty decent!!

I thought our ideology was keep the core of our team for this transfer window? In my opinion, Ward is in that. Maybe he had a drought at the end of last year but I wouldn't sell him!

Granted he's getting older now so I'd bring in Keiran Agard, who won't be much as I think his contract has expired or expires soon. And let them battle it out for first team. The competition will help them both!

I agree. We don't want to get rid of Ward. If anything we want to bring in another player who can play as a wide forward to provide competition to Russell, Dawkins and Ward. I don't know much about Agard but, from this and other posts, i get the impression you rate him.  A quick bit of research shows a decent enough goal return for Rotherham, he's still relatively young which means room for improvement and, like you said, we may not have to pay a premium because he has just refused a contract extension.  

While we may not bring in Agard in particular, we should be looking to bring this type of player in to compete for places alongside Ward, not as a replacement for him.

I'm absolutely astonished at what I've read in this thread. In the four years he's been here Ward has carried us when we've been poor and he's still probably the best winger we have when fully fit. Be careful what you wish for. Personally I'd be livid if we replaced Ward with a player like McClean or Eagles.

I do, however, agree that he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near free kicks.

Jamie Ward is the kind of player that can turn a game- I concede that he has blown hot and cold in recent times but feel that it would be a huge mistake to let him go anywhere. If we saw his name in the team sheet against you we would all be worried! On his day a match winner- through endeavor and mischief, constant haranguing.... just wish he would score more goals!

Jamie Ward is the kind of player that can turn a game- I concede that he has blown hot and cold in recent times but feel that it would be a huge mistake to let him go anywhere. If we saw his name in the team sheet against you we would all be worried! On his day a match winner- through endeavor and mischief, constant haranguing.... just wish he would score more goals!

I might be worried until half time when his hamstrings would be tight. Simple way to stop ward - keep him out wide and don't let him cut inside. He'll get frustrated and drift out of the game

Little niggley fouls to get his temper up and he loses his cool and becomes less effective.

Ward has been a huge player for us over the last few years, no way would I sell. Yeah he wasn't at his very best last season but he is still better than crap like McClean. Always guaranteed 100% passion from Jamie, makes a big difference in modern day football.

I'm absolutely astonished at what I've read in this thread. In the four years he's been here Ward has carried us when we've been poor and he's still probably the best winger we have when fully fit. Be careful what you wish for. Personally I'd be livid if we replaced Ward with a player like McClean or Eagles.

I do, however, agree that he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near free kicks.

Russell last season was a far better winger than Ward.

I don't think Wardy has lost any quality - but one of my mates summed it up perfectly - the rest of the team has taken a step forward, especially with the introduction of Bamford, Russell and Dawkins last season. 

He's no longer carrying the team, but still an important contributor. For such a little man, he scores a fair few with his head, that goal at Watford was sublime, ridiculous how much height he got on that jump. 

FWIW, I would keep him, he's always an option, and he's always a great WUM against the gumps. And who knows, the competition might just spur him on this season.

There is no doubting he was our best player a couple of seasons ago but that was in a team in mid-table team...we are now a team that is hoping to be pushing for promotion next season and he is not as influential as he used to be imo and he also wont be first choice.

So the problem is do we keep him and see if he can make an impact from the bench or replace him?

I've said before that I think he has lost his pace, cant cross, awful at set pieces, struggles to beat his man and is very predictable...I would much rather see someone like Eagles (on a free) coming off the bench than Ward. Eagles can beat a man, can put in a decent cross and is decent at set pieces so would provide a much better option imo.

Ward has given us something a little different over the years. However, he is injury prone and does lose the ball in some very bad areas of the pitch at times. On his day, he s great - when he's not on it, he  is almost as frustrating as the Fish.

If someone offered us 750k then I'd sell him. If he stayed as a squad impact player then that's cool too. We have moved up a little and Wardy isn't as vital these days. Been a great player for us though.     

Archived