Jamie Ward

DcFc Dyycheee

I personally think its time for Ward to move on, considering the position he plays for us and the way we attack teams, for him to have not scored since December is pretty astonishing. He can't beat his man, he is very predicatable, can't cross from open play or dead balls, lost a yard of pace since he arrived and is injury prone.

We got the best years out of him a few seasons back but now for me Dawkins and Russell would start out of our current players. They will both only get better this season as last year was their first at this level and they will both have proper preseasons behind them too hopefully.

I would get rid of Ward, part of the deal to sign McClean would be decent, then get someone on loan like Ibe. Russell, Dawkins, McClean and Ibe with Bennett an option when we have injuries.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do people keep saying he can't beat his man? He's certainly better than Russell and Dawkins at it. Both those players tend to cut inside or pass rather than look to get into a crossing position. Ward is a more direct player and it's his final ball which hasn't been great recently. He's far from done, for example his work for Hughes Brighton goal shows what he adds to the team, hard to imagine anyone else in this side getting that ball.

Either he stays or we get a similarly direct replacement I reckon.

Ward is great... End of... He's one of the best AMs in the division... Selling him would be a travesty...

Whether you think Dawkins is better (he isn't) or not we need 4 guys to play those 2 positions and we currently have 3 (maybe Bennett as well?)

Selling Ward is a no-no so please stop justifying it...

I really rate Dawkins and honestly think he's a better player than Ward. Not sure why Dawkins isn't loved. Ward can create something out of nothing but as Shuff point out, his last goal was in December. And it's not like he's been in and out of the team since then.

Dawkins is the antidote to Ward. He does take players on sometimes but the main thing is he never gives the ball away cheaply. I find it so frustrating when we build up a move, the ball comes to Ward, and he loses it doing something over-ambitious.

From what my old man says, Ward is a very similar player to Paul Simpson so that's probably why the management team has so much patience with him. I think he's worth keeping though. At any moment, he could spring into some form. It may only be a month or so but in that time, his performances could give us enough points and goals to make the difference.

As a player Ward is nothing like Simmo really. Simmo didn't have pace and wasn't as direct or aggressive, his strengths were his set pieces and his ability to spot a pass he was a creator and a goal scorer. It's hard to compare as the game is different now but Simmo was a much better player than Ward. The only similarities that I would mention are they both play on the left and they were/are both liable to disappear from games. 

Ward is great... End of... He's one of the best AMs in the division... Selling him would be a travesty...

Whether you think Dawkins is better (he isn't) or not we need 4 guys to play those 2 positions and we currently have 3 (maybe Bennett as well?)

Selling Ward is a no-no so please stop justifying it...

He's really not. He gives away the ball far too often and has too little end product to even justify a statement like that. He's also too slow to beat his man most times and when he cuts inside, he is equally ineffective.

However, I would keep Ward. He was at his best in the 2012-13 when playing as a striker so I would have him on the bench to bring on as the 2nd striker, when/if we shift formation to 4-2-4.

He's really not. He gives away the ball far too often and has too little end product to even justify a statement like that. He's also too slow to beat his man most times and when he cuts inside, he is equally ineffective.

However, I would keep Ward. He was at his best in the 2012-13 when playing as a striker so I would have him on the bench to bring on as the 2nd striker, when/if we shift formation to 4-2-4.

No... you're wrong...

I offer no further explanation... I feel none is needed... I am Batman... 

If you offered me the chance to get Eagles but lose Ward, I'd take it. I have no real problem with Wardy, I think he's a good player but I think Eagles is the way forward. He'd offer a different aspect as a winger, where Wardy really just does what Russell does; just not as well as Russell. With Eagles we'd have almost the full spectrum of what you want from wingers...

Russell: Pace and goals

Eagles: Delivery

Dawkins: Dribbling ability

Bennett: Big Paulo Wanchope legs

But ideally I'd keep him and get Eagles in too.

For me, Ward is a must keep unless there's a really good offer.

As a fan I absolutely love to see his obvious passion and work rate. Relentless little fighter out on the pitch.

In many ways, he's like Commons - has a really good game and then, the next game, you don't notice him. Ward's worth it for when he shows up, for me.

For me, Ward is a must keep unless there's a really good offer.

As a fan I absolutely love to see his obvious passion and work rate. Relentless little fighter out on the pitch.

In many ways, he's like Commons - has a really good game and then, the next game, you don't notice him. Ward's worth it for when he shows up, for me.

Conor Sammon has a great work rate but I don't think he should be playing... I agree and think we should keep him but as an impact sub. I actually think we need a new winger because Dawkins (last season anyway) couldn't cut it against decent full-backs; his best games were against poor teams ie. Yeovil. I can't remember him doing anything at all against good teams.

Commons really could produce a chance out of nothing though, as well as being a much better player all-round. Ward is great when on his day, but those seem to be few and far between recently, Watford away was the last one I remember...

Conor Sammon has a great work rate but I don't think he should be playing... I agree and think we should keep him but as an impact sub. I actually think we need a new winger because Dawkins (last season anyway) couldn't cut it against decent full-backs; his best games were against poor teams ie. Yeovil. I can't remember him doing anything at all against good teams.

Commons really could produce a chance out of nothing though, as well as being a much better player all-round. Ward is great when on his day, but those seem to be few and far between recently, Watford away was the last one I remember...

Erm... I think you're being slightly unfair on him to be honest...

2 seasons ago he was pretty much our only match-winner... in the games he struggled we pretty much struggled to create any opportunities... However last season he was playing in a team FULL of match winners... So eyh, he doens't look as good as 2 years ago but mostly that's by comparison...

He played well in the Brighton home playoff game... so did the other 10 players... 

Erm... I think you're being slightly unfair on him to be honest...

2 seasons ago he was pretty much our only match-winner... in the games he struggled we pretty much struggled to create any opportunities... However last season he was playing in a team FULL of match winners... So eyh, he doens't look as good as 2 years ago but mostly that's by comparison...

He played well in the Brighton home playoff game... so did the other 10 players... 

2 years ago we finished 12th... Needless to say, we're better than that now.

It just seemed to me that Ward didn't do anything at all last season, particularly towards the end... that may seem harsh but because his end product was poor, despite him being on the ball regularly, I can't remember him doing anything of any interest (bar a few good games and his goals).

Compare that to Dawkins who, when in-form, creates lots of chances and retains possession well and Ward starts to look very mediocre indeed.

He's still a good Championship player but I think a little extra quality on the wings, someone who has a great end product and can produce a good set-piece, would only serve to improve our play further as it would create danger from set-pieces, rather than hitting the first man or flying over everyone's heads.

I like lots of other on here have respect for Wardy, he has done a lot for this club, but i have to agree with Yorkshire, his best season was 2 years ago,in a mediocre side, since then we have got better and he hasnt.... he still runs into dead ends and has very little end product, so for me, if we had an offer, i would wish him well and allow him to move on. If we are looking to move onwards and upwards i cant see him being good enough for the Prem sadly and we should be filling this side with players who we feel can take that step up....

I know the thread is about Wardy who I would keep even if we brought in another wide man, but I can't let it go when some on here are unfavourably comparing him to Dawkins. In my opinion, Dawkins has been extremely disappointing since being signed up on a permanent contract and I'm not convinced that his fee couldn't have been better spent.

I know the thread is about Wardy who I would keep even if we brought in another wide man, but I can't let it go when some on here are unfavourably comparing him to Dawkins. In my opinion, Dawkins has been extremely disappointing since being signed up on a permanent contract and I'm not convinced that his fee couldn't have been better spent.

Leave my Dawks alone.

The man's first touch is ridiculous. Like Sean Paul, it sticks to him like glue. None of the Rolf Harris touch that Sammon has.

Pre-injury, he was outstanding. Like one of our best players outstanding.

Could do with adding more goals to his game but he'd start alongside Russell everyday if it was up to me.

Pre-injury, he was outstanding. Like one of our best players outstanding.

Could do with adding more goals to his game but he'd start alongside Russell everyday if it was up to me.

No point controlling the pass then forever going down blind alleys. Russell & Ward alongside Martin until we sign up a replacement for Ward who will further improve the side.

Archived