Can someone explain why this is happening??

-JW-

Yeah - not football-related so you have to question the reasoning. Sounds like muslim-trolling to me

I doubt the guy is related to Flagman as Nick posed the exact same question on his Twitter feed and got tons of Right-Wing abuse from nutty EDL/BNP types. Which says it all...

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with this is that we are sort of having it forced upon us. 

Yes i'm sure everyone was appalled by the killing but I can't help but feel that we're being bullied into participating in something that we would like to reserve for either football-related or locally relevant tributes.

To refuse to participate in this tribute could make us look heartless so we would feel obliged to join-in.

Yeah - not football-related so you have to question the reasoning. Sounds like muslim-trolling to me

I doubt the guy is related to Flagman as Nick posed the exact same question on his Twitter feed and got tons of Right-Wing abuse from nutty EDL/BNP types. Which says it all...

Not really, I've been known to hold certain *ahem* 'right-wing' views and I think it's a strange idea.

does it matter that it isnt related to us? show some respect and for the lad

And therein lies the issue

If you question it - you get accused of disrespect. Which is why I feel it's a bit of trolling of this guy to foist it on the club. There is no relevance to either club, no anniversary, no nothing. It feels like it's just an excuse to start an argument.

Far worse would be to set this up and then have no one actually care, and they don't have to. I see no links to DCFC or football in general, we have a designated day in this country for armed services. We are heading down a dodgy path with all these shows of respect...

While Lee Rigby ' s murder was bloody horrendous, I simply can't understand why this is being touted as a good idea.

Too many local service personnel lost their lives in recent conflicts, so why single out someone who had no connection with the area whatsoever?

I'm sorry but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. We'll be doing a minute's applause at 2 minutes because Princess Di had 2 sons, in the 1st minute because Hitler had one knacker and in the third minute to celebrate the number of brain cells are collectively present in the Trent End every other week at this rate.

No disrespect to Drummer Rigby or his family, I personally know how hard all fatalities fall on families and friends, I've attended enough repatriations and funerals over the years to appreciate that.

Sorry but it's a crap idea IMHO.

And therein lies the issue

If you question it - you get accused of disrespect. Which is why I feel it's a bit of trolling of this guy to foist it on the club. There is no relevance to either club, no anniversary, no nothing. It feels like it's just an excuse to start an argument.

how can it be trolling?

I was as horrified at Lee Rigby's senseless murder as everyone else but I think the club could have respectfully and tactfully explained to the proposer of this idea it felt it was inappropriate as Lee Rigby had no association with the club, the City  or indeed the county of Derbyshire.

I'm ashamed to say it's crossed my mind that the guy who came up with this idea has his own agenda and is just a publicity seeking numpty, I really hope I'm wrong.

I use the word trolling in so much as it seems purposefully antagonistic.

It's a similar tactic used by The Sun - in getting Ed Miliband to pose with free their "Our England" issue - then when he apologises to Scousers, they pile straight in with the "He must HATE ENGLAND THEN!!" editorial

Taken to it's logical conclusion, I could lobby the club to have a minutes applause on Graham Norton's birthday - and then if and when anyone questions what on earth that has to do with Derby OR football - start accusing them of being disrespectful gay-hating rotters.

Not really, I've been known to hold certain *ahem* 'right-wing' views and I think it's a strange idea.

Ditto ,Maggie Thatcher was a bit too left wing for my liking .Terrible thing to happen to anyone but there appears to be no correlation between the  dreadful event and the match./football etc.

There needs to be one for the victims of the Iraq War, and the victims of the 07 London bombings as well. Both just as relevant.

I'm sure there are about half a million victims of the Iraq war. Even hanging Blair and Bush at half time would serve no purpose because it won't bring them back.

This must be one of the most irrelevant minutes applause's in the history of minutes applause. 

That post deserves a minute's applause in the 32nd minute.

does it matter that it isnt related to us? show some respect and for the lad

I suppose it doesn't matter all that much other than there will be no relevance and therefore no resonance in the minute's applause (largely be meaningless)

Respect for the lad and his family is definitely due - I just think there are probably better ways to do it than the fans of two football clubs that he didn't support or live near clapping for a minute on a date that has no relation to the dreadful events that happened.

I really do feel dreadful for him and his family every time I think about it but ...

Also, don't know about anyone else but I go to football to enjoy myself. It's a hobby. You want to escape and ignore how ***** life is when you do something you ignore.

Football just needs to stay football. Pay it's football related respects. Clubs will want to acknowledge what happens in their communities (Philpott children) but that's it imo.

Chris Webster was TA Medic based in the UK during the 90's. He's regular been passionate about 'fallen military brothers' etc.

if that's what he's passionate about then so be it.

But if you keep doing stuff like this then you start treading into "who deserves our respect" waters.

Dunno.

It's not too dissimilar to the arguments:

Winning an olympic medal in curling/hockey/netball/fishing shouldn't automatically earn you an MBE/OBE.

How many children go missing every day, yet we only ever remember Maddie. What makes her different?

You can't celebrate or show support for everything, it diminishes the exceptional, or the causes that you hold dear.

Archived