Burnley and QPR attempts to sign Craig Bryson

Jenkinson

Some more info on here from a Burnley perspective. "Shock U-Turn"? Seems a bit strong.

"BURNLEY have been forced to turn their attentions to new midfield targets after Craig Bryson staged a shock U-turn to stay at Derby County, but the Clarets have not given up on a club record move for Watford striker Troy Deeney, despite a rejected offer.

The Premier League new boys are also understood to be closing in on versatile former West Ham midfielder Matt Taylor.

Manager Sean Dyche has been formulating his squad in preparation for top flight football, and Bryson was set to be another piece in the jigsaw after landing winger Michael Kightly on a permanent deal from Stoke and goalkeeper Matthew Gilks on a free transfer from Blackpool.

But events took a surprise twist after the squad reported back to their Gawthorpe training base for duty yesterday, when Bryson instead opted to sign a new five-year deal to stay with the Rams.

Burnley had expected to be adding the goalscoring midfielder to their squad after triggering a

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the delay. Been in a meeting at work.

Got a text to say Bryson's deal is now 5 years.

Sorry for not updating you sooner.

I know you probably wont be bothered.

I was told 3 last night.

You are Alan Nixon and I claim my

Ironically, of the three that went up Burnley are the one that I'd like to see stay there. Firstly because I like how they operate (i.e. we're not going to make silly signings like QPR) and secondly a good mate of mine is a Blackburn fan so it's fun to wind him up!

Obviously ecstatic they've missed out on Bryson though. Would love it if the core of the current team stuck with the team for a while and became the next gen of Derby legends.

"I took a while to think about it and I knew it would be a massive decision. I went through stages where one minute I thought I was leaving and then the next minute I think I'm staying.

Booo Bryson out... Bloody turncoat.

Refreshingly honest. 

"I took a while to think about it and I knew it would be a massive decision. I went through stages where one minute I thought I was leaving and then the next minute I think I'm staying.

Booo Bryson out... Bloody turncoat.

Refreshingly honest.

Hmmm - I'm starting to think the haggling over the clause was just stalling tactics to get him to start preseason. Getting back in amongst the squad, having the banter and seeing what he would be walking out on, as SM said in his interview, could have been a major deciding factor.

Or maybe so they could lock him in a broom cupboard with Bucko for half an hour.

All it took was that first day back - and Bucko saying, friendly-like, "Morning, Bryso. Want to live to see another one?"

Job done.

Other than Premier League football what can they offer really?

Poor stadium, poor place, not great footballing side, doomed for relegation, not much money, our training facilities are much better also.

and most of all best fans.

Bryson said it himself, the fans were a big reason for why I stayed.

Any chance we can stop the Burnley bashing?

Can anyone blame them for trying to get Bryson for 750k? I'd like to think we'd be all over him if roles were reversed.

They're a good club and most their fans are good people - they have a population not much more than Burton and are in the top flight. Fair play.

Next time we go there get in the Burnley league club and have a sensible conversation with them. Both founder members of the football league and we've won a similar amount of trophys. Both good clubs.

Can anyone blame them for trying to get Bryson for 750k? I'd like to think we'd be all over him if roles were reversed.

They're a good club and most their fans are good people - they have a population not much more than Burton and are in the top flight. Fair play.

Next time we go there get in the Burnley league club and have a sensible conversation with them. Both founder members of the football league and we've won a similar amount of trophys. Both good clubs.

I spent a couple of hours in the Burnley cricket club before and after our encounter last season. To a man they were a decent bunch. They probably now think of us the way we think of Baggie fans.

In short, a tunch of bossers.

Quote:

'Other than Premier League football what can they offer really?'

Apart from double the wages that a Championship club can afford you have answered your own question - any player ultimately wants to test himself in the Premier League. At 28 Bryson is at his peak and the chance may not come again. We believe that Derby can get promoted but nothing is guaranteed so the lad was bound to be tempted by the chance to play against the best every week, with the added bonus of all the extra television exposure. Rush must have done a brilliant job to turn him away from that opportunity, if we don't get promoted this season will he regret the decision to stay?

Are Burnley really doomed to relegation, didn't fans say that about the likes of Palace, Stoke, Swansea etc when they went up? They are a well organised side with a very decent manager and I have always found their fans very welcoming.

I will not have this thread derailed into a Burnley love-in!

Are Burnley really doomed to relegation, didn't fans say that about the likes of Palace, Stoke, Swansea etc when they went up? They are a well organised side with a very decent manager and I have always found their fans very welcoming.

Burnley where promoted because they were well organised and efficient enough at attacking, just like many a-unfancied side that have been promoted (us under Billy for example). For me, Dyche has to prove that he is a similar calibre of manager as Bruce or Pulis if Burnley are to have any chance if survival.

As for Swansea, they played neat, passing and attacking football, a philosophy which suits the Premier League and something Burnley don't employ.

So no, they aren't doomed to relegation, but it's highly likely.

Burnley where promoted because they were well organised and efficient enough at attacking, just like many-a unfancied side that have been promoted (us under Billy for example). For me, Dyche has to prove that he is a similar calibre of manager as Bruce or Pulis if Burnley are to have any chance if survival.

As for Swansea, they played neat, passing and attacking football, a philosophy which suits the Premier League and something Burnley don't employ.

So no, they aren't doomed to relegation, but it's highly likely.

Archived