Burnley and QPR attempts to sign Craig Bryson

Jenkinson

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could not agree more. He's a businessman [sam Rush] who wants success. I wouldn't be too surprised if we went up to the Prem either this upcoming season or next and he chooses to sell us. The only way he's  going to get there is if he keeps his star players of which Bryson is arguably one of the best. If he does lose him he won't want pittance for him, he will want mega dollars.

Sam Rush is the chief executive, not the owner of DCFC so he won't be choosing to sell or not to sell.

Worryingly, I can only see us to be looking to spend if we're getting a big chunk of money through the sale of a Bryson or a Hughes.

Mind you, that line also came from this Nixon bloke who seems to have a constant feed of all transfer rumours :lol:

The older I get, the more I dislike the money side of football. Players are treated as numbers on the accounts sheets. The papers, the twitter wannabees just go on about transfer figures, wage speculation and release clauses. I'm just sick of it. At the start of last season nobody saw what was coming from our side, nobody saw us losing in the dying minutes at Wembley, they saw us in mid table, maybe with a little flirt with bottom six.It's sad that football can make such a say that it's how many define players.I hope Bryson comes back to finish the job next season, but you never know what might happen. If his head gets turned by ££££s next season, who could blame him, we'd all do it. But ultimately there's no reason he can't get that here after another great season.It's just all getting to me now though. I particularly feel sorry for Thorne, he just wants to be part of something here, but now he's stuck between a pair of businesses and a giant pile of £ signs. That's the nature of the beast now though.

Albert, it has always been the same. Clubs have always bought and sold players as they have seen fit, for a whole variety of reasons - because the player has wanted to go, because the selling club wants to sell, because the amount offered is too good to turn down, because the buying club is a 'better' club, whatever. For as many people involved there have always been as many reasons.

The only different things about 'modern day' football are transfer windows which limit periods of transfers, and the relatively obscene amounts of money involved the higher up the leagues you go. You could also add that the ability to look abroad has changed and the introduction of agents willing to play the media.

What I have learnt over many years is that one or several players coming or going does not necessarily make a season successful or a failure. What I mean by that is that Bryson may leave, so might Keogh, or Hendrick, or Freeman, or anyone else; and Thorne may not come, or any of the others that we are supposedly in for. It doesn't mean that we will not go up or go down. It depends on what we become as a team over 46 games next season and how we fill the gaps. Jim Smith's team was a perfect example. No one picked us to go up but over the season the team developed and played some wonderful football.

We will go up next season if we have a team that plays well and with confidence, scores goals, keeps clean sheets and has luck with decisions and injuries. We got close last year because all of those things happened. We just ran out of luck at various times, but especially in the final game.

How does Nixon know all this stuff??? If you believe his tweets then someone is basically feeding him information every hour or so about the situation. Question is, who is the mole?

are you diggin again?

Albert, it has always been the same. Clubs have always bought and sold players as they have seen fit, for a whole variety of reasons - because the player has wanted to go, because the selling club wants to sell, because the amount offered is too good to turn down, because the buying club is a 'better' club, whatever. For as many people involved there have always been as many reasons.

The only different things about 'modern day' football are transfer windows which limit periods of transfers, and the relatively obscene amounts of money involved the higher up the leagues you go. You could also add that the ability to look abroad has changed and the introduction of agents willing to play the media.

What I have learnt over many years is that one or several players coming or going does not necessarily make a season successful or a failure. What I mean by that is that Bryson may leave, so might Keogh, or Hendrick, or Freeman, or anyone else; and Thorne may not come, or any of the others that we are supposedly in for. It doesn't mean that we will not go up or go down. It depends on what we become as a team over 46 games next season and how we fill the gaps. Jim Smith's team was a perfect example. No one picked us to go up but over the season the team developed and played some wonderful football.

We will go up next season if we have a team that plays well and with confidence, scores goals, keeps clean sheets and has luck with decisions and injuries. We got close last year because all of those things happened. We just ran out of luck at various times, but especially in the final game.

I was never saying the money side is new, it's just as I age I tend to grow a greater dislike for it. Of course individual players won't always make a huge difference either, it's just sad to see how much of the game really is just business. That goes for us as a club as well.

Rather than transfer windows being an exciting time as they were when I was younger, the cynic growing in me is growing a dislike for the entire concept, and I kind of wish that football was about the fans, the pride, the passion and the game, not billionaires personal collection of super stars and the hundreds of millions throw around yearly like keep crockery.

Logic would suggest the following.

There is a clause. If there wasn't, the club would have denied it.

The clause must be higher than £750k and/or must not be watertight od there would have been earlier interest and more of it.

Nixon's source is undoubtedly an agent. They have their own agendas.

Liverpool owner John Henry has confirmed Luis Suarez did have a £40m buy-out clause in his last contract, but the club decided they would hold on to the striker at all costs.

Arsenal triggered the clause during the summer transfer window but, having lost Fernando Torres to Chelsea in January 2011, the Reds were reluctant to sell.

Suarez made it clear in a series of interviews last summer that he wanted to leave Anfield, but Henry sees the player as a major part of the club's future plans along with Daniel Sturridge and Raheem Sterling.

"Luis Suarez is the top scorer in the English Premier League which is arguably the top soccer league in the world," Henry said.

"And he had a buy-out clause - I don't know what degree I should go into this - but he had a buy-out clause of £40m. So Arsenal, one of our prime rivals this year, they offered £40m and one pound for him and triggered his buy-out clause.

"But what we've found over the years is that contracts don't seem to mean a lot in England - actually not in England, in world football. It doesn't matter how long a player's contract is, he can decide he's leaving.

"We sold Fernando Torres for £50m. We didn't want to sell but we were forced to. For the first time (with Suarez) we took the position that we weren't selling.

"Since apparently these contracts don't seem to hold, we took the position we're just not selling and it's been great for Luis, it's been great for us, and what will happen at the end of year, I think we're going to make Champions League and we have a small chance of winning the Premier League this year.

"We have three gentlemen up front: Suarez, Sterling and Sturridge. Those three are young, and I think Luis and those three could be together for a long time."

I was never saying the money side is new, it's just as I age I tend to grow a greater dislike for it. Of course individual players won't always make a huge difference either, it's just sad to see how much of the game really is just business. That goes for us as a club as well.Rather than transfer windows being an exciting time as they were when I was younger, the cynic growing in me is growing a dislike for the entire concept, and I kind of wish that football was about the fans, the pride, the passion and the game, not billionaires personal collection of super stars and the hundreds of millions throw around yearly like keep crockery.

Albert, we agree. The only point I would pick up on is that of transfer windows. When I was younger they didn't exist at all - the whole year was a window and IMHO football was the better for it.

I have never found transfer windows to be exciting. They play far too much into the hands of agents, clubs, players, media and hangers on with agenda and us poor bloody fans have to sit and suffer it all, as well as joining in on sausageter. Much better to go back to the old days and abolish the whole concept.

Chances of that happening? Zero. Too much money to be made by all and sundry except us fans.

Exactly, Sam Rush has said on more than one occasion that he will not discuss players contract, if there is or isn't a clause it would or wouldn't be in the contract which means the club won't talk about it.

Fans tweeting the club and Vicars about the clause are embarrassing and should go paint their toe nails or give the toilet a scrub.

There is some form of clause in Bryson's contract, confirmed by Owen Bradley a while back.

Andy Miller @Retro_31 Jun 14

@OwenBradley Had you heard anything prior to Alan Nixon's tweets about Bryson's £750k buy out clause and is there any truth in it? Thanks!

@Retro_31 Alan is a top journo and if that's what he's been told, fair enough. I haven't been told that. Let's see what happens.

Archived