McClaren to Saints

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand why Southampton might want Mac, he plays the same high tempo, pressing up the pitch game that the current manager plays.

But I'd be astonished if he left Derby after what has happened in the last few months, and that is taking aside his close personal, football and familial links with the city and club. 

With Southampton about to lose two or three of their best players, there is no saying how good they will be next season, they could easily find themselves in a relegation scrap.

He also strikes me as being a loyal bloke - we rescued him from obscurity and being Redknapp's assistant, and he is now back in the national eye, I'd like to think he recognises the opportunity Derby gave him.

If it was a big club then I could see the temptation. Southampton are no bigger than we are, just ahead in their growth cycle as a business. They are a good model for us to look at, but there is no reason why we cannot match or even emulate that in the next few years. 

I honestly don't see why he would be incredibly tempted to go there given what is going on here. (Until he's told there's no cash to spend and GT's staying at West Brom!!)

I can understand why Southampton might want Mac, he plays the same high tempo, pressing up the pitch game that the current manager plays.

But I'd be astonished if he left Derby after what has happened in the last few months, and that is taking aside his close personal, football and familial links with the city and club. 

With Southampton about to lose two or three of their best players, there is no saying how good they will be next season, they could easily find themselves in a relegation scrap.

He also strikes me as being a loyal bloke - we rescued him from obscurity and being Redknapp's assistant, and he is now back in the national eye, I'd like to think he recognises the opportunity Derby gave him.

If it was a big club then I could see the temptation. Southampton are no bigger than we are, just ahead in their growth cycle as a business. They are a good model for us to look at, but there is no reason why we cannot match or even emulate that in the next few years. 

I honestly don't see why he would be incredibly tempted to go there given what is going on here. (Until he's told there's no cash to spend and GT's staying at West Brom!!)

I honestly hope he doesn't even consider ANY opportunity better than the one he's got. It would be a real smack in the teeth to the owners in particular who plucked him from obscurity.

But I'm interested in that bolded bit Vulcan, what is it that makes you think he's a loyal bloke? (without trying to provoke a mass row)

Middlesboro?

Twente?

Wolfsburg?

Forest?

I'd hope that the fact he's already chased his dream once and then when he got there he realised it wasn't the dream for him, makes him realise the grass isn't always greener,

He's well liked, well respected and he's got a lot in his credit bank at the moment, if he even talks to other clubs over the summer it would be a disgrace.

Having written all of that, nothing he has said or done since he's got here make me think he's anything other than a decent bloke and decent blokes wouldn't stab their employers in the back at the first opportunity.

Would be gutted if he was to leave. Think these rumours are knee jerk to the play off loss though as he's only had a good 8 months...hardly enough of a recent success for an 8th placed premier league team to take a punt, surely?

In just 24-hours it has gone from "key is to keep McClaren" to "Oh we can sign Thorne with his money". Seriously?? He's not going anywhere because is he goes do you think the team will be the same? Do you think we can attract the same caliber players? I think not.

I honestly hope he doesn't even consider ANY opportunity better than the one he's got. It would be a real smack in the teeth to the owners in particular who plucked him from obscurity.

But I'm interested in that bolded bit Vulcan, what is it that makes you think he's a loyal bloke? (without trying to provoke a mass row)

Middlesboro?

Twente?

Wolfsburg?

Forest?

I'd hope that the fact he's already chased his dream once and then when he got there he realised it wasn't the dream for him, makes him realise the grass isn't always greener,

He's well liked, well respected and he's got a lot in his credit bank at the moment, if he even talks to other clubs over the summer it would be a disgrace.

Having written all of that, nothing he has said or done since he's got here make me think he's anything other than a decent bloke and decent blokes wouldn't stab their employers in the back at the first opportunity.

I think maybe your last sentence sums it up better than I did - I don't know him to be loyal but  looking at the way he speaks and the way he conducts himself, he doesn't come across as someone (like other managers we may or may not have had !) who would readily just walk away at the first hint of a bit of greener grass. 

You probably put it better than me Ronnie!

Ok then...I'll state the facts.

He did a good job with his first club before being sacked at his next three.

After deciding to drop down onto the non-league, he was offered a chance to rebuild his career with a role at Derby County.

Is that better for you?

The only reason he went to non league Northwich was as a stop gap/helping out for one season as he was already contracted to

his new job in Portugal. The start date for his job in Portugal was bought forward hence why he had to leave Northwich after only a couple of months.

I also think he did a good job in his first season at PNE, they were top of the league at Christmas, but they fell away due to a mixture of cost cutting, injuries and poor form, they were only goal difference from the play-offs. And that's after Davros had savaged them. 

Don't forget his back to back promotions with Carlisle too. His performance with his first club Rochdale was mediocre but with a good cup run.

Also took Shrewsbury to a play off final. 

Stockport was poor, but like I said they were in a total mess.

I agree with you when you say Derby have offered him the chance to rebuild his career. I understand that in recent years he's done a lot of work on his badges and coaching and his experience with Mac will have only helped him.  

He'd take Simmo with him.

Cherry picked our background team when he went to Middlesborough

Pundits were wary for us when he came. Said he would use us as a shop window to get a Prem job.

We shall see.....................

In just 24-hours it has gone from "key is to keep McClaren" to "Oh we can sign Thorne with his money". Seriously??

I wasn't saying that - I was just playing devil's advocate.

McClaren is under contract (for another 2 years) at Derby so he can't even talk to Southampton/Tottenham about a job unless the Derby Board give him permission to.

So I was just saying that the Derby Board are business men and they aren't daft. They would have a conversation with Steve first. If he says he's not interested then the conversation is over. If he says he might be interested (and let's be honest, he's surpassed expectations in his first 9 months, so he might want to lever a contract extension at Derby out of this) - then the Board will have to look at what the scenario would be if Steve left. We'd get 2 years compensation on his contract, and would need to find a quality replacement. If they can find a quality replacement who is currently out of work, then the compensation would effectively be free money that they could spend on the squad.

Or they might look at it and think it's too big a risk.

Just saying that it doesn't matter what WE would do - you have to look at it from the Board's perspective

Archived