McClaren to Saints

The key thing to remember as well is that promotion with next season could give him one of the safest Premier League jobs around.

And even if we failed to get up next season, he will know that with the managerial merry-go-round of the Premier league, there'll be other options open to him at that time.  Tottenham will be about to seek out their next manager, for one!

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was bound to be a few stories like this over the summer. He's done extremely well this year.

I'd say that his time as Middlesborough shows that he's loyal. He stayed there for a very long time when he must of had a number of other job offers. Obviously he is always going to take the England job when offered it.

I think he's had his fingers burnt enough to realise that the club and manager fitting well together is very important and hes got just that at Derby.

A nice statement of his intent to stay at Derby in the next 24 hours would be nice though!

This is a good statement as any:

“The next stage is keeping the players we have under contract together and I would also like to sort out the likes of Wisdom, Thorne and Bamford,” said McClaren.

“Maybe we have a chance of getting them back because I think they’ve enjoyed their time here.

“We have got the nucleus of a great squad and the loan signings have added to it.

“I thought George Thorne was the best player on the park by far on Saturday.

“Thorne and Wisdom have done a great job, Bamford too. Zak Whitbread has been great behind the scenes, Lee Naylor also.

“I have said to (chief executive) Sam Rush already ‘make sure we keep this lot’ because we will go places.

“It has been a squad effort, that has been the key for me.

“We’ve got a great foundation.”

Well...he's been slashed from 24/1 to 5/1 joint favourite at BetVictor to be next Southampton manager since I checked last night. Fear not though, this is almost certainly due to mugs betting on it based solely on this ***** in the papers.

The fact that 5/1 is the shortest odds suggests to me that nobody actually has any idea who their actual targets are if Pochettino does leave.

Every manager is replaceable so I'm not overly worried about it. (For example Eddie Howe could and should do well)

But if he goes, he would be propably be after half of our team! And it's much bigger worry...

Mauricio Pochettino has resigned as Southampton manager and has been named as Tottenham's new head coach.

Pochettino has been heavily linked with the Spurs post since the sacking of Tim Sherwood and, having been in talks this week, he has now agreed a five-year contract.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11700/9328272/tottenham-have-announced-that-mauricio-pochettino-is-to-take-charge

Worryingly Southampton will want a manager who plays a similar style of football so any transition would be easy.

Who is the best around at the moment that plays fast, on the floor, direct 4-3-3 football with goalscoring midfielders... If they aren't looking abroad, they will probably go for McClaren as he's the best in the UK.

If Southampton are willing to change their style and aim for a proven PL manager, then we won't have to worry as people like David Moyes, Michael Laudrup, Roberto Di Matteo and Steve Clarke are bigger names at the moment.

Just been on saints forum, quite a few of them would welcome McClaren, which surprised me. They don't really like us though, still bitter from the play off game. There's a thread taking the piss out of us about Saturday.

Just been on saints forum, quite a few of them would welcome McClaren, which surprised me. They don't really like us though, still bitter from the play off game. There's a thread taking the piss out of us about Saturday.

They're probably just smug and built up in all the hype as their team over the past two years is probably the best team they've had in their history.

I think they're excellent and they should enjoy it while they can, because in the not too distant future they'll be back in the Championship again - just like Fulham - another ticking bomb.

Archived