McClaren to Saints

Would be a great choice with his solid managerial record.

Sacked at Preston.

then..

Sacked at Shrewsbury.

then..

Sacked at Stockport..

then..

took over at the mighty Northwich Victoria

On which planet would anyone even entertain the thought that Paul Simpson would be good enough or deserving enough to manage a club with the stature of DCFC?

I think you are seriously letting that heart of yours rule your head.

Or have you just completely ignored what Simmo has helped us achieve in the past 8 months?!

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Purely empathetic.

I too would be devastated if McClaren was to go, more so than the loss to QPR, but if I was an advisor and the Southampton job came along. You'd tell him to take it, all day long.

As I said, look at Alan Irvine. He once rejected a mega-money move to WBA* to stay at Preston after a really successful season. The season later he had a poor start and was sacked. He later failed again and ultimately fell into a black hole (I couldn't even tell you where he is now)

Southampton are just better placed. I wouldn't begrudge him a move.

It would, however, kill me as a Derby fan.

He's actually Everton's academy manager (don't ask me how I know this haha)

Or have you just completely ignored what Simmo has helped us achieve in the past 8 months?!

Not at all, but he has been doing a different job...one in which he clearly thrives.

I go by his MANAGERIAL record. 

On which planet does what he has been doing for Derby make him worthy of sitting in the managers seat?

He has shown failure, after failure, after failure after failure and you want to reward him with a job as big as managing DCFC?

Am glad you're not in the directors box.

Sacked at Preston.

then..

Sacked at Shrewsbury.

then..

Sacked at Stockport..

then..

On which planet would anyone even entertain the thought that Paul Simpson would be good enough or deserving enough to manage a club with the stature of DCFC?

Difference is that our players are 10 times the players off all of those. Simmo will carry on the work of steve

Difference is that our players are 10 times the players off all of those. Simmo will carry on the work of Steve

Have you heard yourself? So what you're saying is...do a poor job with poor players a get rewarded with a better job with better players.

Regarding your other point...

I'm sure he will but not in the managers seat. Not in a million years.

Purely empathetic.

I too would be devastated if McClaren was to go, more so than the loss to QPR, but if I was an advisor and the Southampton job came along. You'd tell him to take it, all day long.

As I said, look at Alan Irvine. He once rejected a mega-money move to WBA* to stay at Preston after a really successful season. The season later he had a poor start and was sacked. He later failed again and ultimately fell into a black hole (I couldn't even tell you where he is now)

Southampton are just better placed. I wouldn't begrudge him a move.

It would, however, kill me as a Derby fan.

Thank goodness! I wasn't being facetious by the way just genuinely worried someone might prize away the best coach we've had in over a decade. But hopefully it won't even be worth discussing as McLaren will want to get this job complete.

To be honest, the only worse choice than Pochettino going to Tottenham (for Pochettino) is McClaren going to Soton.

Here he has his chance to build something special, at a club that doesn't sack managers for giggles, and stick to their guns. After Derby gave him the chance to rebuild his career as well, I doubt he would be quick to leave us now. Ultimately you never know though.

The emergence of this rumour might not be bad timing for us though - just as the owners meet to discuss next season.

When Steve asks what his budget will, it may focus some minds that if he's not given sufficient resources he is wanted elsewhere.

Sacked at Preston.

then..

Sacked at Shrewsbury.

then..

Sacked at Stockport..

then..

Does it bug you that Paul Simpson's best ever managerial campaign is better than Nigel Clough's best ever campaign?

Does it bug you that Paul Simpson's best ever managerial campaign is better than Nigel Clough's best ever campaign?

Clough was out of work for all but a month and was quickly offered a lucrative position with Sheffield United.

Paul Simpsons managerial record was so poor he forced to take a position with non league Northwich Victoria.

I don't wish to have a dig at Simmo. Far from it, he has done an outstanding job with Derby but when posters like you write such crass comments which I can only assume are on the wind up, I feel I have to. 

The footballing chairmen that offer out jobs at their football clubs clearly recognise the job that Clough did at Derby. It is merely ignoramuses like yourself that fail to see that.

McClaren knows we're all a bit down in the dumps this week, if I was his agent/advisor  I'd be telling him to put out a statement sharpish his plans for next season with us.

It would give us a bit of a lift, it wouldn't do season ticket sales any harm either.

Never mind all this trying to get more dough out of the board b0ll0cks, let the fans know your intentions.

If the board backs McClaren with a decent transfer kit and wage bill it would be a very good choice for him to stay. He has a good young squad he has got to play his style of football with good results. With the boards backing we have a reasonable chances to go up next season with a team that could become mid table team in Premier pretty soon. Our financies are good and we have a decent fans.

At this moment Derby County is a team that is a good place to show your talent for players and staff alike as they want to go forward in their careers. I believe Thorne knows this too and will consider us as a possible team for next season.

McClaren would have to be tempted if Saints offer him the job - more money, better players to work with and Premier League status.

Plus, aged 53, time is not on his side to manage a top PL team again after his Middlesbrough experience.

Sadly, this could be the price of failing in the play-offs - losing the manager and one or two players.:(

Clough was out of work for all but a month and was quickly offered a lucrative position with Sheffield United.

Paul Simpsons managerial record was so poor he forced to take a position with non league Northwich Victoria.

I don't wish to have a dig at Simmo. Far from it, he has done an outstanding job with Derby but when posters like you write such crass comments which I can only assume are on the wind up, I feel I have to. 

The footballing chairmen that offer out jobs at their football clubs clearly recognise the job that Clough did at Derby. It is merely ignoramuses like yourself that fail to see that.

Does it bug you that should both men retire from their profession tomorrow then Paul Simpson would have had the higher achievement?

Did you know in one season at this level Paul Simpson won more Championship games than he lost, whereas in the five that Nigel Clough spent here he failed on each occasion?

And Simmo did it at little Preston with no budget, whereas Clough had far bigger backing here.

Does that bug you?

Archived