McClaren to Saints

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If any jobs perfect for him, it's this one. He said he lives in/near Derby and his wife likes it here didn't he? Former player and assistant manager, loved by the fans, got a brilliant young team playing the sort of Dutch style he loves and won't be under tons of pressure if we go on a poor run of form

If any jobs perfect for him, it's this one. He said he lives in/near Derby and his wife likes it here didn't he? Former player and assistant manager, loved by the fans, got a brilliant young team playing the sort of Dutch style he loves and won't be under tons of pressure if we go on a poor run of form

I agree, but we're the in the championship. Southampton are pretty much the premiership side of us in terms of philosophy and youngsters.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/380769/EXCLUSIVE-Derby-s-Steve-McClaren-shock-name-in-the-frame-for-Tottenham-job?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

EXCLUSIVE: Derby's Steve McClaren shock name in the frame for Tottenham job

STEVE MCLAREN is the shock name in the frame to replace Tottenham-bound Mauricio Pochettino as Southampton boss.

By Adrian Kajumba/Published 27th May 2014

Facebook

Twitter

Google+

PROMOTION HEARTBREAK: McClaren's Derby missed out on promotion after late defeat to QPR [GETTY]

Pochettino is in advanced talks with Spurs after chairman Daniel Levy made the Argentinian his top choice to replace Tim Sherwood.

The deal to make Pochettino, 42, Spurs' 10th boss in 13 years could be wrapped up within the next 48 hours.

Southampton are bracing themselves for Pochettino's departure and have been weighing up possible replacements for some time.

And Derby boss McLaren, 53, is the latest name to emerge as a potential successor to Pochettino.

McLaren is understood to have the backing of Saints increasingly influential executive director and board member Les Reed.

PROMOTION HEARTBREAK: McClaren's Derby missed out on promotion to the Premier League [GETTY]

Reed knows ex-England boss McLaren from his time working at the FA.

McLaren, a well-respected and innovative coach, has continued to rebuild his managerial career at Derby after his ill-fated spell in charge of England.

The Rams missed out on promotion to the Premier League on Saturday after a heart-breaking last-minute Championship play-off final defeat.

But McLaren worked wonders to transform them into promotion contenders after taking over when they were 14th in September.

Pochettino edged ahead of Ajax boss Frank De Boer in Levy's mind after guiding Southampton to eighth, two places below Spurs.

He also earned praise for Saints' style of football and the significant development of some of the club's stars during his reign.

Saints wanted Pochettino to extend his current deal, which still has a year to run.

But he put off signing the contract on the table and looks set to accept a three-year, £3m-a-year challenge at Spurs.

He will have to pay £2m compensation, his current Saints annual salary, to be get out of his existing contract.

And he wants to take his current No2 Jesus Perez, coach Miguel D'Agostino and goalkeeping coach Toni Jimenez with him to White Hart Lane.

So many things wrong with this article... Including the title.. Oops. How can people get paid to do this?

Big gamble if he took it. If he went there and flopped he'd be back in the garbage pile. "That was Clough's team that overperformed. Wigan were in Europe and even Burnley came second that year" will be the story of him.

Still needs to build that reputation back up.

If he left us now then I'd want him to flop and get cast aside as a wally.

But he won't. He can't afford to fail yet. It's only here at Derby where we really see how big the changes have been. Same players are unrecognisable. Only we truly appreciate him. He'll get time here now he's given us a taste. Not as much as Nigel but as if we'd risk calling for someone else!

who would we get as his successor?

It seems pretty unlikely that McClaren would accept an offer from Southampton - if he cocks up there then his reputation will be in tatters and he may well never get a Premier League job again. Plus he's very much loved here and is working with a great group of players. But if it does happen, I think we should try very hard to get Simpson as manager. He's managed before, he must want to do it again and he's definitely learnt a lot from McClaren and there'd be no risk of ruining the great vibe in the squad.

Always amuses me when someone emerges as a shock name in the frame for one job or the other. His name is only 'in the frame' because the journo has chosen to write this particular story, absolute nonsense.

Anyone got Igor Stimac's number... :ph34r:

In all honesty, the Southampton job would be perfect for him. They've got a conveyor belt of very good youth players, no real expectations other than to stay up. He would also be equipped with some decent funds.

As everyone has said, if he fails then he may not get a Premier League job again. But, is that really worse than if he was to fail here next season?

I'd encourage any manager to grab the seemingly better opportunity when it comes, it's a very fickle profession and sometimes loyalty can cost you. See Alan Irvine.

If he left us now then I'd want him to flop and get cast aside as a wally.

This. Simply because it would be the most wally-like thing to do. But I believe he isn't the wally that the media portrayed him to be and he knows the best for all involved is for him to stay here.

Anyone got Igor Stimac's number... :ph34r:

In all honesty, the Southampton job would be perfect for him. They've got a conveyor belt of very good youth players, no real expectations other than to stay up. He would also be equipped with some decent funds.

As everyone has said, if he fails then he may not get a Premier League job again. But, is that really worse than if he was to fail here next season?

I'd encourage any manager to grab the seemingly better opportunity when it comes, it's a very fickle profession and sometimes loyalty can cost you. See Alan Irvine.

Are you saying you wouldn't mind McLaren moving on or are you just being empathetic?

I for one would be devastated if he went to Southampton.

Are you saying you wouldn't mind McLaren moving on or are you just being empathetic?

I for one would be devastated if he went to Southampton.

Purely empathetic.

I too would be devastated if McClaren was to go, more so than the loss to QPR, but if I was an advisor and the Southampton job came along. You'd tell him to take it, all day long.

As I said, look at Alan Irvine. He once rejected a mega-money move to WBA* to stay at Preston after a really successful season. The season later he had a poor start and was sacked. He later failed again and ultimately fell into a black hole (I couldn't even tell you where he is now)

Southampton are just better placed. I wouldn't begrudge him a move.

It would, however, kill me as a Derby fan.

Simmo 100% will be next if Mac does leave

Would be a great choice with his solid managerial record.

Sacked at Preston.

then..

Sacked at Shrewsbury.

then..

Sacked at Stockport..

then..

took over at the mighty Northwich Victoria

On which planet would anyone even entertain the thought that Paul Simpson would be good enough or deserving enough to manage a club with the stature of DCFC?

I think you are seriously letting that heart of yours rule your head.

Archived