McClaren to Saints

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it bug you that should both men retire from their profession tomorrow then Paul Simpson would have had the higher achievement?

Did you know in one season at this level Paul Simpson won more Championship games than he lost, whereas in the five that Nigel Clough spent here he failed on each occasion?

And Simmo did it at little Preston with no budget, whereas Clough had far bigger backing here.

Does that bug you?

No.

Northwich Victoria vs Sheffield United.

Hmmm...

Does it bug you that Paul Simpson's best ever managerial campaign is better than Nigel Clough's best ever campaign?

Why would you want to bring Nigel Clough into this thread?

I have stated in a previous thread that I was sure he must have done something really bad to you or your family as you seem to have so much dislike for the man.

I'm starting to think that maybe you need to see someone in a professional capacity about this.

Don't worry Bris.

Clough has left Derby.

You can start to let go.

I realise it may take you a little time.

Breath deeply and just let go.....

Would be a great choice with his solid managerial record.

Sacked at Preston.

then..

Sacked at Shrewsbury.

then..

Sacked at Stockport..

then..

took over at the mighty Northwich Victoria

On which planet would anyone even entertain the thought that Paul Simpson would be good enough or deserving enough to manage a club with the stature of DCFC?

I think you are seriously letting that heart of yours rule your head.

Wow negative nancy alert. Let's get some objectivity here.

Simmo's time at Rochdale was o.k, a mid table finish and an FA Cup 5th round. 

He then went to Carlisle where they were relegated in his first season. However they were under a transfer embargo, in financial turmoil and around 10 points adrift when he arrived. Next season they were Conference champions. Following season he won promotion to League 1. That's back to back promotions- quite an achievement. 

He left Carlisle for Preston and here's the important part he replaced a certain Billy Davies- destroyer of clubs. He only missed out on the play-offs by goal difference and was under a strict transfer policy. He was sacked the following season after a poor start, but the post Billy syndrome had really kicked in as they lost several key players- David Nugent being one.

Stockport- Came in with a new ownership group after the club spent a whole season in administration. Form was poor and he was sacked, but again there are mitigating circumstances. 

He only took the Northwich role to help them out for a season before he moved to Portugal to help coach youngsters who have been released by their clubs. 

So all in all his record is very up and down. Some failures and some very good achievements. He's achieved a lot more than a few of our recent managers. And he has managed at our current level as well. 

Whilst I'm not saying he would be the answer, but to dismiss him in such fashion is very narrow minded considering he knows the squad, the style of play and the ins and outs of the club. He is also very highly regarded by most Derby fans and has been learning under one of the best coaches in the country.

Surely McClaren is aware "the big boys" are about to cherry pick the best of Southampton's players, then there are the young 'uns their current manager might want to take to Tottenham so it won't be quite the attractive proposition it may appear.

There will be a lot of work to be done down there in a short time PLUS we've got Jake.  ;)

McClaren would have to be tempted if Saints offer him the job - more money, better players to work with and Premier League status.

Plus, aged 53, time is not on his side to manage a top PL team again after his Middlesbrough experience.

Sadly, this could be the price of failing in the play-offs - losing the manager and one or two players. :(

Thankfully, I think the aged-53 bit wouldn't come into it. We've a great chance of being in the Premier League next season - would he rather wait one year and be called a success by our fans, or go to Southampton where he risks failure? Don't forget that they sacked Adkins with very little provocation and although that's proved the right decision, we know that Southampton will not accept near-relegation form. It often takes time for a team to adjust to a new manager... if he leaves for Southampton, it's not wholly unlikely that McClaren could be out of a job after ten games again.

But maybe he'll take that risk for the money. I'd imagine he'd get a sizeable compensation package if he is sacked so it is a chance for a big payout if that's what he's after right now.

Wow negative nancy alert. Let's get some objectivity here.

Simmo's time at Rochdale was o.k, a mid table finish and an FA Cup 5th round. 

He then went to Carlisle where they were relegated in his first season. However they were under a transfer embargo, in financial turmoil and around 10 points adrift when he arrived. Next season they were Conference champions. Following season he won promotion to League 1. That's back to back promotions- quite an achievement. 

He left Carlisle for Preston and here's the important part he replaced a certain Billy Davies- destroyer of clubs. He only missed out on the play-offs by goal difference and was under a strict transfer policy. He was sacked the following season after a poor start, but the post Billy syndrome had really kicked in as they lost several key players- David Nugent being one.

Stockport- Came in with a new ownership group after the club spent a whole season in administration. Form was poor and he was sacked, but again there are mitigating circumstances. 

He only took the Northwich role to help them out for a season before he moved to Portugal to help coach youngsters who have been released by their clubs. 

So all in all his record is very up and down. Some failures and some very good achievements. He's achieved a lot more than a few of our recent managers. And he has managed at our current level as well. 

Whilst I'm not saying he would be the answer, but to dismiss him in such fashion is very narrow minded considering he knows the squad, the style of play and the ins and outs of the club. He is also very highly regarded by most Derby fans and has been learning under one of the best coaches in the country.

I'm just looking at the facts.

Yes, there are always mitigating circumstances around a managerial record and they shouldn't always be taken at face value but he has had a lot of clubs in a very short space of time and their hasn't been many good times to go with a whole lot of bad times.

He's highly regarded at Derby for the job he does at Derby.

He should stick to what he does well and continue to be highly regarded for that job.

Southampton would be a cracking move for any quality manager but ...

Steve knows he can become a true legend here, part of the way there due to his time with Jim Smith. I think this would appeal to him considering the slating he's had to suffer in the past

He's got a good squad, the full support of Sam Rush and the adoration of the fans.

He'll also be deep into his close season strategy and how to improve the squad etc. He would have to start afresh elsewhere and that would lose him valuable time and impact the new season.

He lives close by and I'm pretty sure his wife is a Derby girl.

Above all I think he wants to be here

This is the sort of stuff I wasn't worried about with Clough - he would have been with us until the end.

This would be a surefire way for me to hate McClaren. He's got somehting good here - He's only been here for half a season and would be stupid to go imo.

I think the board will do their utmost to keep McClaren here. They were pretty quick off the mark to bring him in once they had decided to get rid of Clough. They clearly thought he was the man for the job then and I don't see how that train of thought could have changed between then and now. Even if there is some truth to this and it hasn't just been made up to fill column inches I can't see Sam Rush and our board members being keen on allowing him to talk to them.

I'm just looking at the facts.

Yes, there are always mitigating circumstances around a managerial record and they shouldn't always be taken at face value but he has had a lot of clubs in a very short space of time and their hasn't been many good times to go with a whole lot of bad times.

He's highly regarded at Derby for the job he does at Derby.

He should stick to what he does well and continue to be highly regarded for that job.

No, you cherry picked his failings only. 

If you were looking at the facts you would have mentioned his achievements as well- It's called being objective, his achievements are above the likes of recent appointments such as Brown and Clough.

Like I said he may not be the right person for the job (should the job even come up), but he's done a lot better than you make out.

Southampton now have trigger-happy ownership, and their fans are resigned to losing half of their squad in the summer.

I don't think there's a cat in hell's chance that McClaren would entertain the idea of taking the Saints job for a second.

No, you cherry picked his failings only. 

If you were looking at the facts you would have mentioned his achievements as well- It's called being objective, his achievements are above the likes of recent appointments such as Brown and Clough.

Like I said he may not be the right person for the job (should the job even come up), but he's done a lot better than you make out.

Ok then...I'll state the facts.

He did a good job with his first club before being sacked at his next three.

After deciding to drop down onto the non-league, he was offered a chance to rebuild his career with a role at Derby County.

Is that better for you?

Archived