Sam Johnstone

DcFc Dyycheee

Clubs are already clamouring to sign young Manchester United goalkeeper Sam Johnstone on loan next season.

The 21-year-old is currently on loan at Championship side Doncaster.

He was initially signed as emergency cover when Ross Turnbull was ruled out with a calf injury but the stopper has since kept his place in the starting XI.

Three clean sheets in his last five games has attracted interest from Burnley and Derby who are both eyeing him for next season.

Johnstone has been a regular No 1 for England from the Under 16s through to the Under 20s and is being monitored by Under 21 manager Gareth Southgate.

He has been on the bench twice for the United's senior side, against Stoke in the Capital One Cup and West Ham in the Barclays Premier League.

David Moyes made it clear he has no intention of letting Johnstone leave United permanently when he handed the player a new three-and-a-half year contract in January.

But with David de Gea well-established as United's first-team goalkeeper, a host of clubs are ready to take Johnstone on loan next season. - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2590799/Manchester-United-keeper-Sam-Johnstone-wanted-loan-Burnley-Derby.html

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we sign him, then I have the deepest, deepest, deepest faith that he will be a lot better than what we have.

Eric Steele will have watched this kid since he was 15/16. He will know what he's about. The only doubt I have, is that if he was so good why didn't we grab him before he went Doncaster?

This makes very little sense, unless Grant is on his way.

We can only have five loan players in the match day squad. Steve and Sam have often mentioned that high quality loans are part of our strategy to progress. If we one of those loans is always taken up with a bench warming goalkeeper it clearly restricts things. Even if Legzdins is on his way (and Eric Steels said to me they are going to look at that at the end of the season once we know what league we are in), surely Roos and Morch should be sufficient cover.

Also, as dabber mentioned, why would Johnstone want to come here not to play? Loaning in a keeper, other than in an emergency situation, makes no sense unless it is as a number 1.

This makes very little sense, unless Grant is on his way.

We can only have five loan players in the match day squad. Steve and Sam have often mentioned that high quality loans are part of our strategy to progress. If we one of those loans is always taken up with a bench warming goalkeeper it clearly restricts things. Even if Legzdins is on his way (and Eric Steels said to me they are going to look at that at the end of the season once we know what league we are in), surely Roos and Morch should be sufficient cover.

Also, as dabber mentioned, why would Johnstone want to come here not to play? Loaning in a keeper, other than in an emergency situation, makes no sense unless it is as a number 1.

The 5 loan rule is for the emergency loans only, I believe, you can have as many season long loans in the team as you want.

Eric Steele will have watched this kid since he was 15/16. He will know what he's about. The only doubt I have, is that if he was so good why didn't we grab him before he went Doncaster?

you could say that about a lot of players, if will hughes is so good and such a prospect why is he playing at derby? because hughes came through the derby ranks just after we decided not to sell players for dirt  among other reasons (with the exception of brayford)

i do beleive that until doncaster, hes never really played first team football at a 'higher level' and if youve never seen soeone play football, you dont know how good or bad they are

s

Archived