Burnley v Derby County

sage

hmmmm....

Derby County manager Steve McClaren says Chris Martin should have been awarded a penalty rather than sent off: "I've looked at it over and over and it's a penalty.

"There's slight contact and Chris Martin has slipped because of the contact. His leg has been taken away, it wasn't a dive.

"First thing was he (the referee) hasn't given the penalty which was wrong and then he gave him the yellow card for diving, which is wrong again."

Missed the one vital point, that other managers do, he hasn't blamed him for the defeat. That's my point

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Missed the one vital point, that other managers do, he hasn't blamed him for the defeat. That's my point

And I agree with you Mafia - he did well not to blame the referee in the post match interviews. The squad and he have to move on and get their heads around going on another run of unbeaten games. As SM said moaning won't change anything.

Doesn't stop us having a go though! And I do think that the ref was looking to book Martin from the start, I do think the ref was both poor and inconsistent and I do think he was told by both SM and Simmo what they thought of him at both half time and full time

Despite everything today... it was still an enjoyable away day. A Millwall mate come with us and enjoyed it, came into his own when Madeley passed at half time.

Anyone else park in that bloody small building site for £3? What was he?

Oh and why do Burnley people walk with their chests out, stomachs in and arses out?

Don't mind them really.

Mafiabob,

Feel sorry for referees a lot. I really do. Managers do use them to cover up their own short comings.

But like Staffs says, he made 3 very big mistakes in one swoop. That's 2 too many. You're getting hammered if you do what he did.

Martin didn't appeal. We scored.

I could accept he thought it was a dive/slip and no penalty. But to book a player that didn't appeal and to disallow a fine goal?

He killed us. It's not good enough. He should have someone to answer to? I hope so because you can't make decisions like that and walk away with your head up your backside.

Like Webb with the Suarez incident. What did he think he saw. I just can't see how he can explain it. It was open and shut.

These sort of errors (Webb being unexplainable and today being a series of errors) are really not acceptable.

We don't all get to hold our hands up for major glaring errors and get to go unpunished.

So I don't like to think that he just walks away.

He did seen pretty quick to book Martin. The ball had only had time to roll to Hendrick and he'd made up his mind. He knew he was going to book Martin again at some point. He'd had enough of him. But he got it wrong. Might just be one game to him but promotion to the big time is worth a lot of money. This is an important battle we're in. "Life changing" for lack of better description.

Yet to see/hear any neutral opinion on the Martin incident that thinks the ref got it right. that seem telling to me.

But we are still in the race for second and although I've alway quite liked the Clarets, how they're talking on their boards has now really made me want to do em on the last day.

PistoldPete2

Yeah Mac certainly isn't a whinger. To be fair Burnley were 1-0 up at the time of the incident, and we played better with 10 men.

Theres no way of knowing what woud have happened, but equalising just before half time and having 11 men for whole of second half could very well have made a big difference. Martin didnt deserve either booking.

I just hope this injustice fires up the players and we still have a target of automatic. 

Burnley are not so good away , they have 8 away games to go and we can close on them given our run in compared to theirs.

Over 180 minutes against them we haven't scored. They're a very good team at this level and good luck to them. 

The difference between yesterday and the home game was chalk and cheese - yesterday we battled and showed courage, skill and heart and even with 10 men could easily have come out of it with a point.

Referee ruined the contest with a series of stupid decisions, the sending off being the most inept. Heaton out of the area another, the dive by Bamford a third, arguably not giving them a pen late on also but by then of course he had already spoiled the afternoon. Tragic that a great contest was spoiled by incompetence of officials.

Last point, great support yesterday. We sing some stuff away to get a reaction and stir it up, but yesterday was different - Burnley really is a shithole and I really did want to go home. And the referee really is a ****. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that his wife's a slag either.

Just had another look at a Burnley forum. The second one down on google seems to have much better balance from the posters.

RE these things balancing themselves out, one made a point of Duff's two yellows against Hudders. Obviously the stakes were not so high in that match, but they were royally shafted out of two points, to our advantage.

Yesterday was big, but it's nowhere near as season-defining as some make it out to be. We're good enough for 2nd.

I never have a problem with bias when deciding my opinion on an incident, I don't understand how people do. The last time I felt this frustrated was the Stuart Attwell incident. It's probably not a penalty, it's definitely not a dive, but it's a legal equaliser. 1-1, 11 vs 11, match on! Oh wait, f**ked by a referee, great. I'm amazed no-one on TFLS tried to say his first yellow could've been a straight red for an elbow.

Remember the 2-1 vs Forest with 10 men? The MOST controversial goal in that game in my opinion was Jeff Hendrick's (when Theo in an offside position leapt the ball), and that was the only goal not debated?

Martiin has a reputation now for going down to easy it was only matter of time when we would pay . Refs know it so some blame has to be on Martin and not all the ref.

If a referee bases his decisions, or is even slightly swayed by a players past reputation, he shouldn't be refereeing professionally imo.  Surely, each decision should be based on what has happened in that moment, not what he did two games ago, or even 5 minutes beforehand.

It sounded like Martin got up the refs nose from the off, so perhaps he should shoulder some of the responsibility, but his reputation should not make any difference to any decision made by a professional referee. 

Archived