Burnley v Derby County

sage

Football League show looked at the times Martin was penalised, none of them were fouls. His first booking wasnt a foul leave alone a booking. The peno /goal that wasnt was a foul, and he lost his footing. It wasnt a dive, and he didnt appeal. Dont know why it wasnt a goal anyway. Really The ref had an absolute disgrace of a game, getting 3 things wrong in a single move.

He was pretty bad last year v Forest. Forest fans think he was wrong to send Blackstock off. Seemed fair enough to me, except he didnt book anyone in the first half , when some of our tackles were pretty dodgy.

Its all about his inconsistency. Booked (and sent off) Martin for not diving, but didnt book Bamford or your player for blatant dives.

Hes the worst ref I have seen even worse than Attwell and thats saying something.

I agree about the consistency, but disagree with regards to Martin's earlier challenges. The ref felt they warranted a card, and I wouldn't have grumbled had Sam Vokes been booked for similar. The ref had spoken with him a number of times but he didn't heed the warning. If the ref speaks to you and says 'look, this is how I'm refereeing this match. I will not allow this, or that, so stop it', you stop it. If Martin continues and then gets himself booked then more fool him. You can't raise your arms like that nowadays to someone's head and this ref clearly didn't like it.

Don't listen to the rantings on FLS. Claridge rarely gets anything right, and I don't just mean about Burnley. There are often discussions on our board about many of his irritating commentaries on various games. He's very poor.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2

I agree about the consistency, but disagree with regards to Martin's earlier challenges. The ref felt they warranted a card, and I wouldn't have grumbled had Sam Vokes been booked for similar. The ref had spoken with him a number of times but he didn't heed the warning. If the ref speaks to you and says 'look, this is how I'm refereeing this match. I will not allow this, or that, so stop it', you stop it. If Martin continues and then gets himself booked then more fool him. You can't raise your arms like that nowadays to someone's head and this ref clearly didn't like it.

Don't listen to the rantings on FLS. Claridge rarely gets anything right, and I don't just mean about Burnley. There are often discussions on our board about many of his irritating commentaries on various games. He's very poor.

Well I agree with you about Clardidge , but he is ex Leicester and so not exactly  Ram friendly.

I saw the replays and none of the ones they showed were fouls especailly the first Martin booking.Th eonly fould I saw was the one on Martin in the penalty box.

It was to say the least " controversial". or in other words just horribly wrong. But hey ho, you won, lets move on. I think we will still catch Burnley. We can be ruthless against the lesser teams, home or away. 

Claret - you've got a good side, second on merit and you may well have beaten us anyway, but the ref had a shocker and there's no way around it.

Really? If so then your two wide men were playing extremely deep. Perhaps our play forced your guys to sit a little deeper? Not sure but it looked like you were playing one up top with wide players who could push on when you had the ball? When I've seen you on TV your players seemed to play much higher up the pitch.

You did peg us back quite a bit, but we weren't particularly negative. Seen a few Burnley fans say we were playing for a draw with our side, which isn't true. We started against you with the team which won us the match against Bournemouth.

Maybe it's because your fans saw Bamford and Bryson on the bench, you thought we were negative. Bryson wasn't fully fit, and Bamford hasn't actually been playing too well recently and was deservedly taken off at half time against Bournemouth.

Our starting 11 was entirely normal based on fitness and form, and was only one change from the previous game. Burnley fans don't know what they're talking about, although why would they about our team anyway?

Let's not forget a few minutes before Martin's first card where he beat Shackell to the ball about 30 yards out and was subsequently brought down by a kick at around hip level - ref ignored that totally, no free kick, no word with Shackell. Blatant foul, nothing.

The ref targetted Martin from the kick off. Disgraceful

Is a dive a foul that should stop play though? Should a good ref allow play on if there is a dive then go back and book the player when the game stops?

play can be stopped for misconduct (which simulation is) if the offending team gain an advantage by playing on (which gaining a goal scoring opportunity could be seen as) the restart would be with an indirect free kick.

Such a harsh decision.

You expect a ref to use common sense in that situation.

Just seems like he over reacted/freaked out.

Made a rash decision quickly and then couldn't turn back.

The point is, if you were reffing a game and let's say for arguments sake, Martin had been consistently borderline with his tackles/50-50's in terms of being brutal or dangerous, then even still you'd give him the benefit of the doubt on a 'diving' offence.

The ref clearly over reacted.

Also, in fairness.

Dave Jones goal was a stunner and I wouldnt be surprised if it gets goal of the month.

I am/was really gutted about the decision, that said we weren't playing well either.

After the sending off, we had ten men and went back to our usual attitude, which resulted in us being comfortably the better team in the second-half. Quite surprising really, but pleasant.

I do feel hard done by, but, I think our opening 45-minutes our players were scared of making mistakes, played deeper than usual - was less attacking than usual and it showed.

Whether or not we will catch Burnley up now and finish second, I don't know. They will certainly drop points so as long as keep on winning there is always a chance.

However, I want to go back to the free-flowing stuff that we saw earlier in the year. Go back to playing the careless attacking football - chances are we're going to finish in the play-offs, a few 4/5-1/2 wins from now until the end of the season will stop things going stale.

It's annoying me the 'Burnley deserved to be leading at half time' view point. Yes they had more of the ball and looked more threatening, but name me one decent chance they created? We never really looked like conceeding.

To be deserving of a lead, you have to actually create some chances. 

Love how biased the Burnley message board is, why not just admit they got a bit lucky with the decision and it should have been 1-1 at half time 11-11. If I was them I wouldnt give a f*ck if the refs had a shocker, but at least admit it. The amount of free kicks Martin has conned this season, it was probably karma, but dont spout bullsh*t about how it was a dive, he was appealing for penno, should have been sent off etc. 

It's annoying me the 'Burnley deserved to be leading at half time' view point. Yes they had more of the ball and looked more threatening, but name me one decent chance they created? We never really looked like conceeding.

To be deserving of a lead, you have to actually create some chances. 

Love how biased the Burnley message board is, why not just admit they got a bit lucky with the decision and it should have been 1-1 at half time 11-11. If I was them I wouldnt give a f*ck if the refs had a shocker, but at least admit it. The amount of free kicks Martin has conned this season, it was probably karma, but dont spout bullsh*t about how it was a dive, he was appealing for penno, should have been sent off etc.

I think most messageboards are slightly biased. I'd say 90% of people on here believe Martin to be totally innocents and not deserving of a single yellow card on Saturday. But you'll say 'well we're right, and everyone else is wrong.' That's football fans for you.

On our messageboard, get past the controversionalists, and the ones just saying it in response to little wind ups from Rams fans - Oldtimerram, Triz (in fun) etc, and you'll find a far more balanced view point. Having to make a choice they'll always sit on the Claret side of the fence, and so would you on your side.

Regarding the referee, once one or two decisions goes against you it feels like everything does, although I'm not claiming we didn't get a higher percentage of 50/50's??? When you do get these decisions you don't notice them, but when you don't, and you lose, it becomes more apparent. I honestly think that if Martin hadn't have turned around with his arms up he wouldn't have received the second booking. But I stand by my view that, after the ref had warned him what he wouldn't tolerate a number of times, Martin would have walked at some point. And yellow cards are often given for an accumulation of fouls. He'd been penalised for lots before he was booked. Martin obviously wasn't listening to what the ref was saying, which then put him on that tightrope.

If I was you guys I'd be saying the ref wasn't great for us, and made one or two poor decisions that were key, but Martin had only himself to blame overall and we should have got something from the game. You're a good team and this isn't over yet. Still lots to play for, and we have a massive game against our main rivals next Sunday, live on SKY, and we haven't beaten them for 35 years!!!!!

I honestly think that if Martin hadn't have turned around with his arms up he wouldn't have received the second booking.

For the last time, please watch it again. He doesn't appeal until after the whistle has blown so the ref has already made up his mind. I assume at this point he's asking what the ref has blown for/protesting his innocence as he's hardly going to be appealing for a penalty as we score. It's at around 5.10 in the FLS for your convenience.

When Martin appealed he may of thought it was a pen and wanted the goal which followed the foul on the box!? Then to be shown the red! Ref had a shocking game and that's final

Archived