Defensive Problems

Cam the Ram

We dont need to take risks when we are 3-1 up tho.

The difficulty with the defensive problems is that its different people each goal: Eustace for Yeovils first, Keogh for their second, Bamford for Brums second etc. By no means is it the defenders at fault each time.

Just seems at the moment every time we make a defensive mistake the opposition scores.

No we probably could have done with shutting up a bit. But you can't blame them for going for more goals. It leaves you wide open but we should have won 6-1 today and then nobody would be criticising our risk taking. They'd be praising our hunger.

I'm glad you pointed out that different players have been at fault because all the finger pointing seemed to be aimed at one or two people.

It's hard to strike a balance. Risk v reward. Today it didnt pay off. **** happens. Still an enjoyable team.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we're doing well.

Maybe I'm alone

Nope.

It is expectations. We went away to Birmingham and played them off the pitch, only to get a draw through a few sloppy mistakes. Frustrating yes, but why the heck can't we see the positives in this. I agree about it being a team thing, but that is the approach we are taking and it makes things a lot more exciting. We will learn. Just enjoy the ride.

No we probably could have done with shutting up a bit. But you can't blame them for going for more goals. It leaves you wide open but we should have won 6-1 today and then nobody would be criticising our risk taking. They'd be praising our hunger.

I'm glad you pointed out that different players have been at fault because all the finger pointing seemed to be aimed at one or two people.

It's hard to strike a balance. Risk v reward. Today it didnt pay off. **** happens. Still an enjoyable team.

I can tell you this it wasn't enjoyable today. PS Wardy was brilliant though he didn't deserve that defense.

Buxton gets away with murder everyone loves the oaf for some reason (oh yeah he scored against Forest! Please!)

So basically everyone will try to twist/blame on every goal we concede on anyone they can pin it on be it a ball in the box (fullbacks fault for letting cross in but turn a blind eye to marking from CB to giving it away a minute or two before from midfield or up front when our hapless CB gets done or pace with either through balls through the centre/Chanel's or players running at him.

Pace none

Height none

Positional sense too deep

Let's balls bounce in own box

Fouls and gives free kicks in dangerous areas

So its Buxton ? get your tin hat out....

Good post, and as you know i concur about finger pointing... lol see above !

Disappointing today and a shame for if we had we won we would have been third and if we did beat QPR next game we would have gone second.

I think we shall see Whitbread replace Bucko and Dawkins back for Bamford for the QPR game. Maybe Thorne for Eustace also.

Bamford obviously a goal scorer but provides little defensive cover. He is young and may learn. At Derby he needs to defend but if ever he gets into the Chelsea team then he may not. Not sure about a young Torres more of a young Allan Clarke for me (showing my age !!) an out and out striker. Maybe with him you cannot have both at least not yet.

I can tell you this it wasn't enjoyable today

What? Creating numerous chances in open play to score about 5/6. Winning a penalty. Scoring 3.

What people want is an attacking team that creates a ton of chances and gives nothing away at the back.

No team exists. It might look like Man City are one but they aren't. Barcelona aren't. Chelsea, Leicester, Juventus, Dortmund, Burnley, England, Brazil... None of them.

It only looks like that if you're opponent plays poor. If you attack then you're vulnerable.

People didnt like Nigel going all defensive for the last 20. Now McClaren keeps attacking they want what? Substitution managers? Mac off, Mcleish in on the 70th min.

Today hurt. Perhaps we could have tightened up. We should have. But that's in hindsight.

Hendrick should have scored to make it 4. Bamford shouldn't have been so casual.

Disappointing today and a shame for if we had we won we would have been third and if we did beat QPR next game we would have gone second.

I think we shall see Whitbread replace Bucko and Dawkins back for Bamford for the QPR game. Maybe Thorne for Eustace also.

Bamford obviously a goal scorer but provides little defensive cover. He is young and may learn. At Derby he needs to defend but if ever he gets into the Chelsea team then he may not. Not sure about a young Torres more of a young Allan Clarke for me (showing my age !!) an out and out striker. Maybe with him you cannot have both at least not yet.

Which is why we need to replace Eustace not Bamford. Bamford is what he is. A good DM offers protection to all of the back 4. 

What? Creating numerous chances in open play to score about 5/6. Winning a penalty. Scoring 3.

What people want is an attacking team that creates a ton of chances and gives nothing away at the back.

No team exists. It might look like Man City are one but they aren't. Barcelona aren't. Chelsea, Leicester, Juventus, Dortmund, Burnley, England, Brazil... None of them.

It only looks like that if you're opponent plays poor. If you attack then you're vulnerable.

People didnt like Nigel going all defensive for the last 20. Now McClaren keeps attacking they want what? Substitution managers? Mac off, Mcleish in on the 70th min.

Today hurt. Perhaps we could have tightened up. We should have. But that's in hindsight.

Hendrick should have scored to make it 4. Bamford shouldn't have been so casual.

Alpha this team needs to learn how to defend or the season will end in heartache .Watch this space got to go now .

Which is why we need to replace Eustace not Bamford. Bamford is what he is. A good DM offers protection to all of the back 4. 

Presumably with Thorne, who despite the stats is unknown to us and the dynamics of the team, what if he doesnt work out ? cos as ive said Hendrick doesnt fill Eustace's boots, just different ones, which for me dont do the job of allowing the others to do what they do ? So i would suggest we start with Eustace, let the boys do what they do, and sub for Thorne later maybe 60mins....

Presumably with Thorne, who despite the stats is unknown to us and the dynamics of the team, what if he doesnt work out ? cos as ive said Hendrick doesnt fill Eustace's boots, just different ones, which for me dont do the job of allowing the others to do what they do ? So i would suggest we start with Eustace, let the boys do what they do, and sub for Thorne later maybe 60mins....

If you mean unknown to us fans then maybe but not to the management otherwise do you reckon Steve signed him in a whim?

to be fair - when you're defending a corner - or a freekick - you're defending. (as a team)

you can't blame letting in goals in these situations on having an attacking mentality.

(fwiw - i love our attacking outlook - but to be any good we've got to tighten up at the back.)

Thorne should have come on today but probably for Hughes. I don't think Eustace is good enough to offer cover alone especially when the opposition are bound to attack.

All three goals today we conceded we're extremely poor and whilst without pinning the blame on one person for any of them, I pin the blame on not being structured in defence. Crosses coming in uncontested, free men in the box, not being first to a low corner coming in, through balls played through the heart of the defence from an uncontested position, players getting behind our defence easily, showing a left footed player inside onto his left foot etc etc. This all happened today.

I think McClaren missed a trick by not replacing Buxton with Keane and thus keeping him for the season because he was being played. Keane is a class defender and with a run of games, that would have shown through. Buxton makes the technical and tactical areas which I think 'intelligent' supporters can spot but those who moan easily and only see the obvious will miss. That's not to belittle anyone but i could give you a list of things he does poorly. (I could give you a list of things he does well which includes passion, putting your head wear it hurts and crunching tackles but this is what the fans see and why he gets the love)

Anyway, I don't really believe second place is viable, but won't stop dreaming about it, so whilst we sit healthily in the play offs, I am happy.

Offensively today, we were superb. No one should give Bamford stick, he is our goal scorer at the moment. Ward, who I have criticised a lot recently, was also superb today and probably our biggest threat around there 18-yard box, but please please please, no more free kicks from him!

Thorne should have come on today but probably for Hughes. I don't think Eustace is good enough to offer cover alone especially when the opposition are bound to attack.

All three goals today we conceded we're extremely poor and whilst without pinning the blame on one person for any of them, I pin the blame on not being structured in defence. Crosses coming in uncontested, free men in the box, not being first to a low corner coming in, through balls played through the heart of the defence from an uncontested position, players getting behind our defence easily, showing a left footed player inside onto his left foot etc etc. This all happened today.

I think McClaren missed a trick by not replacing Buxton with Keane and thus keeping him for the season because he was being played. Keane is a class defender and with a run of games, that would have shown through. Buxton makes the technical and tactical areas which I think 'intelligent' supporters can spot but those who moan easily and only see the obvious will miss. That's not to belittle anyone but i could give you a list of things he does poorly. (I could give you a list of things he does well which includes passion, putting your head wear it hurts and crunching tackles but this is what the fans see and why he gets the love)

Anyway, I don't really believe second place is viable, but won't stop dreaming about it, so whilst we sit healthily in the play offs, I am happy.

Offensively today, we were superb. No one should give Bamford stick, he is our goal scorer at the moment. Ward, who I have criticised a lot recently, was also superb today and probably our biggest threat around there 18-yard box, but please please please, no more free kicks from him!

Not being clever but I assume you mean technical and tactical errors.

Are we really blaming Bucko as being the problem defender?? Have you seen how pathetic Keogh has been since the Brighton game? He was directly at fault for goals conceded against Blackburn and Yeovil. Caught in possession against blackburn and brushed aside by miller against Yeovil, Buckos not perfect but I've got alot more faith in him than I have in Kepgh at the minute.

Archived