Defensive Problems

Cam the Ram

I don't like to make threads moaning but I was just having a look through our recent results and noticed we've only kept 1 clean sheet in 10 matches and have conceded more than any other top half team. I think we can all agree if we tightened up our defence and kept up our scoring record we'd easily make top 2

So, who or what do we think the problem is?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most people won't like this, but it is Eustace. Glad we have signed Thorne. Stick him in the side. No team playing a DM should be conceding the amount we do. The defense always looks worried when passing the ball around. The DM needs to step up and be available to pass to and help out in these situations. I am afraid Eustace is not. 

Spot on.

But both the goals we conceded against Yeovil were counter attacks and 2 of today's were as well. Some of it is part and parcel of playing attacking football, but maybe getting in a proper defensive coach would be worth a thought?

Most people won't like this, but it is Eustace. Glad we have signed Thorne. Stick him in the side. No team playing a DM should be conceding the amount we do. The defense always looks worried when passing the ball around. The DM needs to step up and be available to pass to and help out in these situations. I am afraid Eustace is not. 

Yeah I like Eustace but I've always thought he was the main weakness sadly .... hopefully Thorne turns out to be class 

Agreed that Eustace is the problem. I think you're a bit harsh on him from a ball-playing perspective but he really doesn't suit a stretched game. Yeovil's first and Cywka's goal at Barnsley stick in the mind.

Hopefully Thorne is first choice and Eustace may go back to doing what he was signed to do, and what he's brilliant at, namely seeing out games and being a calming influence. He's really good at that when he comes on. Just don't think he's a regular starter.

It is bizarre. We have an excellent goalie, statistically the best LB in the league arguably one of the best RB's and two quality CB's. Hughes was excellent today and was off the pitch for the last two goals but I don't think he gives us much defensively. Eustace is not the ideal CDM as he has no pace and struggles to get back on counter attacks.

It is mainly the way we play. We keep bombing forward, committing men. Their second goal was us getting caught on the break when we were 3-1 up with 15 to go.

It's the price you pay to a certain extent.

However, Thorne should replace Eustace as the game gets more stretched.

It is bizarre. We have an excellent goalie, statistically the best LB in the league arguably one of the best RB's and two quality CB's. Hughes was excellent today and was off the pitch for the last two goals but I don't think he gives us much defensively. Eustace is not the ideal CDM as he has no pace and struggles to get back on counter attacks.

We have a solid defence. Player for player, they're good. The problem comes when you look at the amount of help they get from those in front of them. I'm not having a go as that's the tactic we've decided to run with and it's done us well so far, but it will have limitations, and we will get caught from time to time. 

Eustace, is playing a bigger part in the side than expected - he's the one tasked with sitting deeper than the likes of Hughes or Bryson so that they can get forward and help out at that end of the pitch. The downside of this is that Eustace ain't no spring chicken and quick counters are going to leave him susceptible. He got done like a kipper for Yeovil's opener on Tuesday. I don't know if it would be better to start with Eustace or Thorne at this point. I'd have said Eustace, with Thorne coming on later in the game when it opens up and Eustace is more at risk, but the Yeovil goals were both inside the first half. Given that, I'd give Thorne a try and then bring Eustace on later in the game to provide an older head in potentially tense situations. 

Of course the other obvious area in need of improvement is fooking penalty-taking.....

Archived