Defensive Problems

Cam the Ram

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched the highlights on Football League Show, Burke's goal reinforces my point, he is allowed to waltz into our box. There should be a player running at him, stopping the shot by putting a block or a tackle in, no-one even attempts to move towards him. We have conceded goals like this in our last few games. A trend is emerging...

The equaliser wasn't much better - ball played in, countless players standing as still as statues. Macca must have been pulling hairs aplenty from his hair-island at that point!

That's harsh, he's played well but I do not believe a single player is responsible, it's the defensive strategy of the team for me at the minute, change to a system where we are actively shutting the ball down and giving attackers as little space as possible, really maximising the effectiveness of a CDM, allowing one CB to sweep. That's when we'll stop conceding as many goals.

Bingo

The equaliser wasn't much better - ball played in, countless players standing as still as statues. Macca must have been pulling hairs aplenty from his hair-island at that point!

The equalizer is one of those scrappy goals that teams like Birmingham will score, but it was less preventable than the second. If one player had of gone out, he wouldn't have been able to shoot and the penalty area was so crowded it was unlikely anything would have come of it. His only option was to shoot and we allowed him to do it.

I must be in a mental home or summat then.

Or my standards are higher than yours...

I have no idea or interest in what your residential status is. You just seem to like picking on an individual and throwing irrational nonsense around about them. Nothing to do standards, everything to do with your unfortunate demeanor.

The equalizer is one of those scrappy goals that teams like Birmingham will score, but it was less preventable than the second. If one player had of gone out, he wouldn't have been able to shoot and the penalty area was so crowded it was unlikely anything would have come of it. His only option was to shoot and we allowed him to do it.

Needed to be far more aggressive and dominant in that position. Everyone was just looking around and I'd like to say reacting, but they didn't. They just stood watching. The kind of goal you're equally disappointed and furious to concede. 

Forsyth was in front of him. Bryson and Hughes stood watching instead of helping to cover. He had to come onto his left foot to get a shot off. Either of the midfield two could have done more.

I have no idea or interest in what your residential status is. You just seem to like picking on an individual and throwing irrational nonsense around about them. Nothing to do standards, everything to do with your unfortunate demeanor.

Look not looking for an argument.

My opinion is he **** no one will convince me he's anything but.

You obviously disagree and I respect your opinion.

There something about him I don't like and I said it in another thread that I'm aggressive about it because I don't like how someone who (again just opinion) is so highly regarded when all I can see is a player who is getting in the way of progress.

Goals for and goals against I can't ignore.

Goals for we're the best in the league that's a fact.

Goals against doesn't measure up to that standard by a million miles.

Again I know it's not all him but the abilitys/characteristics I like about a centre back he lacks them all pace, height, let's balls bounce creating uncertainty all round and worst of all backing off. I also don't how he gets preferential treatment by supporters!

I mean how did he get mom against Yeovil.

Defence nearly cost us dearly again will Hughes ran that second half the forward created countless chances etc.

I can't help it I just cringe at how he us rated when I can't see what there seeing?

If you like trying hard just go and watch abit of Sunday league!

We are a very attack-minded team. To the point that we sacrifice some defensive security in preference for committing more players further up the pitch. That's how we fashioned 30+ efforts on goal against Yeovil. The downside of that is that we're often caught short at the back. 

We have very positive and aggressive fullbacks - Forsyth and Wisdom look to get forward and help out at every opportunity. That's great in terms of helping us craft and create chances, but can leave us short at the back. It's not uncommon that when opposing sides break quickly against us that we have three players at the back with Eustace sitting just in front of them. That's the price we pay for the way that we play.

I think the problem we're having here is that Eustace, whilst effective in that role against some teams, isn't against others, and if he's not then our central defence ends up being cruelly exposed. The second Yeovil goal was an example of that. The central defenders backed off while Eustace went to the ball, only Eustace was then done like a kipper and the lad scored from range. You could blame the defenders for backing off too far, but in truth they probably expected a sterner challenge from Eustace ahead of them. I don't want that to sound like I'm jumping on the 'Eustace' bandwagon because I'm not, but we DO need to realize that he's not going to be effective against everyone, which is why it's great news that we've drafted in Thorne to help him out.

We are a very attack-minded team. To the point that we sacrifice some defensive security in preference for committing more players further up the pitch. That's how we fashioned 30+ efforts on goal against Yeovil. The downside of that is that we're often caught short at the back. 

We have very positive and aggressive fullbacks - Forsyth and Wisdom look to get forward and help out at every opportunity. That's great in terms of helping us craft and create chances, but can leave us short at the back. It's not uncommon that when opposing sides break quickly against us that we have three players at the back with Eustace sitting just in front of them. That's the price we pay for the way that we play.

I think the problem we're having here is that Eustace, whilst effective in that role against some teams, isn't against others, and if he's not then our central defence ends up being cruelly exposed. The second Yeovil goal was an example of that. The central defenders backed off while Eustace went to the ball, only Eustace was then done like a kipper and the lad scored from range. You could blame the defenders for backing off too far, but in truth they probably expected a sterner challenge from Eustace ahead of them. I don't want that to sound like I'm jumping on the 'Eustace' bandwagon because I'm not, but we DO need to realize that he's not going to be effective against everyone, which is why it's great news that we've drafted in Thorne to help him out.

Again, I fully agree. In games where Eustace isn't performing though, the CBs have to take responsibility though and go in for challenges. The defence cannot solely hinge on Eustace or Thorne, they are supposed to be added support to strengthen the defence further.

Of course bloody hell we must be the only football team to ever play the game where the centre halfs are not at all accountable for stopping goals!

The centre halves aren't absolved of all responsibility, but there needs to be an acceptance that they're under more pressure than other sides that aren't as gung-ho as we are. We 'buy' goals by committing the majority of our resources into attacking areas of the pitch. Other sides don't do that, they're more balanced, or they're more defensively set up to begin with. They concede fewer goals, but then also score fewer as well. Our game is built very much around a philosophy of us outscoring the opposition. Whilst aspirationally we will want to reduce the number of goals that we concede, and have as resolute a defence as we possibly can, the way that we play means that that will likely still be a higher number than a lot of other sides. Of course we could go out and sign a pair of world class centre halves, and that should improve things, but realistically that isn't going to happen. Instead, you play your best players for the type of game that you expect. Against quicker, more technically proficient sides, yes, I'd probably think about trying Whitbread next to Keogh, but against sides where I'm expecting an aerial bombardment I'd be playing Buxton there. By the same token, against quicker sides I'd probably also look at swapping out Eustace for Thorne. 

Only against Leicester playing on his wrong side next to Buxton.

Who is ***** most weeks but is put on a pedalstool.

It's embarrassing

Like you say Leicester have a better defence than us.

He got into THAT defence but not ours!?

He got into Leicesters defence last season and they gavecaway silly goals and let leads slip

The one where Bamford lost the ball clumsily?

Yep, I'm sure Brum's first pass put about 5 Derby players out the game. THAT is not Buxton or Keogh's fault. Maybe they could have done more for the second phase but that would be asking a lot. We were in trouble the very moment Bamford was casual and we were committing so many forward.

Personally that's what I want to see. Had Hendrick taken his chance it would have been 4-1 and a white flag from Birmingham.

I think McClaren will tighten up v QPR. And I wouldn't be suprised to see it backfire. It did last time we played them. We spent the first half playing scared and we were dog *****. Second half we grew a pair, QPR created a couple of chances but Derby looked like they might get something as oppose to the first half where we didnt deserve our scrappy goal.

If you mean unknown to us fans then maybe but not to the management otherwise do you reckon Steve signed him in a whim?

No, im sure he didn't,  my point is about 'dynamics', some cogs work better than others, and its not always because they are the 'better' player, but about the mix and balance, hence my point about Hendrick earlier. I doubt Thorne would come in and in a couple of days do what Eustace does....  but after Mac's had him a while in training.... we'll see :huh:

Couple of points here, i agree overall, but maybe Eustace is concerned about his yellow cards and didnt tackle incase 'stopping' a man in full flight might get you booked ( often happens theses days sadly) but now we have cover for him he may be happier to take one for the team ( i honestly think he's a 'thinking' footballer and may have thought along those lines)... secondly, players have good and bad days as Eustace, Dawkins,Ward,Hughes, et al have shown, but Mac seemingly likes to play the same side mainly, but your point about effectiveness against opposition, is one ive always eluded to, and one i hope Mac addresses now we have some 'strength in depth' and play horses for courses,which has the bonus of giving some players a rest, and making them hungry. The dynamics as i said is important, as we know teams with seemingly lesser players can perform well while sometimes teams who on paper look strong dont work out, and its that chemistry that i believe/hope Mac is looking for with the squad of 16 ish players where he can mix and match and it will work, but for me just putting Whitbread,and Thorne on for Buxton and Eustace yesterday would have been very risky, but hopefully now, with some time with a fit Whitbread and Thorne in training learning his job, if a player is having an off day he can be replaced without affecting the shape we play too much ?

Archived