Barnsley v Derby County

sage

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weren't we cruising until the Cywka goal?

Dominating?

This wouldn't have happened if he'd gone back to Wigan like he was supposed to

Utterly dominant. The Cywka goal gave them hope - before that, I thought that they could have played until next Christmas and not troubled Grant. Twice in the second half at 2-0 the final pass went behind Russell - if he had held back instead of tearing into the six yard box the game would have been over. 

As it was, McClaren's substitutions were brilliant (I don't mean that Sammon played brilliant - the substitutions were brilliant in conception). The introduction of Bennett (effectively giving us 4 strikers) stopped Barnsley marauding down our left flank because we basically started doing the same to them and kept their (awful) right back pinned back. We looked very comfortable seeing out the last 5 minutes in the space between the corner flag and the edge of the penalty area.

What a load of rubbish, to much time playing football manager.

Great win again today and keeps the run going

I beg your pardon? Read what I wrote. Read it again and read it PROPERLY.

Now, if you have read it again answer me if Hughes played or not? Then answer me about where I say " play 4-3-3 WITHOUT Hughes we will lose"!

Then tell me about our formation changes in the game. Then stop being rude.

Im 50 years old mate and the last computer game I played was pacman and space invaders in about 1981!!!

What is missing: I think we need an upgrade on Eustace. An Idiakez, Eranio type who can dictate the pace of the game. It's asking for a lot I know.

Been saying for a while that Eustace just can't handle the pace more often than not. SM must be looking for a replacement in January. I believe SM can get us those players we need. 

Yes get in. Just got back. Not the best performance but the points matter in games like that. Well done to the smoke bombers and a special mention to the two youths that got thown out for jumping on the pitch when our second goal went in. All in all a good day out.

Grit/Froggg

I don't know whether the comment about the smoke bombers is sarcastic or not but taking it at face value, perhaps I can disagree.

I have watched the Rams for many years and although, by definition, I therefore am an old fart I have also been a regular fan throughout periods of football support that make smoke bombs look like a Christmas party in a nursery. I also have an inbuilt hatred of the Health and Safety outlook to life generated by an increasingly influential EU with the consequential and negative impact on risk taking and society as a whole.

I was today stood about three rows from the back on the right hand side. One of the smoke bombs landed about two feet away from me.

The plonker that threw it, without knowing where it would land, nor who would be affected, should know that a young Rams fan, about 8 years old I would guess and with his Dad, sister and brother, was extremely upset at being suddenly consumed by thick smoke, out of the blue. Others around me, mainly lads about 25/30, were also annoyed to put it mildly and one of them did a great job in stamping it out.

I don't actually care if people want to let off smoke bombs or flares at football matches. The random chucking of those objects into groups of Rams fans though, is stupid at best. If people had panicked then who knows what might have happened?

If I could make two wider points. We are one of those clubs trying to get the Government to relax rules on standing - rightly in my opinion. The more the authorities, who in my estimation don't want that to happen, see illegal happenings like smoke bombs at matches, the less likely that is to happen. Secondly, at matches like todays, when there is a huge following and people sitting in fairly random places ie older people/families can be at the back with those that want to stand and sing, then so chucking a smoke bomb into an unknown group of people becomes even more stupid than it might otherwise be.

Otherwise a great day out and one to remember.

What worries me isn't the formation, players being tired etc. It is that in the past two games, and at home to Doncaster we have sat back and invited pressure onto us.

It cost us 2 points against Uddersfield and could have done today and against Domcaster.

I guess old habits of players die hard - I know RD said Simpson was urging our players forward but I saw Clough doing that plenty too.

Grit/Froggg

I don't know whether the comment about the smoke bombers is sarcastic or not but taking it at face value, perhaps I can disagree.

I have watched the Rams for many years and although, by definition, I therefore am an old fart I have also been a regular fan throughout periods of football support that make smoke bombs look like a Christmas party in a nursery. I also have an inbuilt hatred of the Health and Safety outlook to life generated by an increasingly influential EU with the consequential and negative impact on risk taking and society as a whole.

I was today stood about three rows from the back on the right hand side. One of the smoke bombs landed about two feet away from me.

The plonker that threw it, without knowing where it would land, nor who would be affected, should know that a young Rams fan, about 8 years old I would guess and with his Dad, sister and brother, was extremely upset at being suddenly consumed by thick smoke, out of the blue. Others around me, mainly lads about 25/30, were also annoyed to put it mildly and one of them did a great job in stamping it out.

I don't actually care if people want to let off smoke bombs or flares at football matches. The random chucking of those objects into groups of Rams fans though, is stupid at best. If people had panicked then who knows what might have happened?

If I could make two wider points. We are one of those clubs trying to get the Government to relax rules on standing - rightly in my opinion. The more the authorities, who in my estimation don't want that to happen, see illegal happenings like smoke bombs at matches, the less likely that is to happen. Secondly, at matches like todays, when there is a huge following and people sitting in fairly random places ie older people/families can be at the back with those that want to stand and sing, then so chucking a smoke bomb into an unknown group of people becomes even more stupid than it might otherwise be.

Good point well made

If smoke bombs are so great why throw them away - let it off and breath in that lovely smoke. Or are they too scared of getting caught or hurt by the damned thing

Grit/Froggg

it was sarcastic pal.

Cough cough

Ahem ahem

are you being sarcastic :rolleyes: .........great day today, didn't see the smoke bomb being thrown , just the said object being carried out still smouldering in a bucket.......i thought hughes did look tired last 15-20 mins, thought russell was unlucky not too get a goal and last 10 mins was a bit nervy........is it just me or does anybody else think the sloppiness in our play sometimes is because we're rushing, trying to be too quick passing the ball about???

Well, the smoke bomb was lit on the row behind me - the lad held it for quite a while - I didn't realise he then threw it. I could smell it for most of the match tbh. Horrid stuff. Silly boy. 

Only took an hour to get out the car park - ffs - we tried to nip in behind the coaches - Italian Job style - but they closed the gates.  That was sooo silly - we could have been home before we actually got off the bloody car park.  No need.

Loved the first half - started to get a bit miffed second. Their goal was obvious as soon as they got the ball. We don't seem to get into them enough - we just prance around them.  Three points but we looked a bit jaded. I dunno, Im a bit scared of it all. Past history and all that. :(

are you being sarcastic :rolleyes: .........great day today, didn't see the smoke bomb being thrown , just the said object being carried out still smouldering in a bucket.......i thought hughes did look tired last 15-20 mins, thought russell was unlucky not too get a goal and last 10 mins was a bit nervy........is it just me or does anybody else think the sloppiness in our play sometimes is because we're rushing, trying to be too quick passing the ball about???

I was a bit nervy after their goal for the rest of the match but then I'm a whittle.  I agree with the quick passing amd a shame Johnny didn't get a couple. 

Grit/Froggg

Good post apart from the health & safety EU part. Obviously some health and safety stuff goes over the top, but most of it seems to be from fear of litigation. Too right when people are put in danger, but there are all those cowboy lawyers trying to con some money. And as for the EU, Britain seems far more health and safety conscience from what I've seen or heard.

Good win though!

Yes get in. Just got back. Not the best performance but the points matter in games like that. Well done to the smoke bombers and a special mention to the two youths that got thown out for jumping on the pitch when our second goal went in. All in all a good day out.

The smoke bombers deserve to be banned - I sincerely hope that they were caught on closed circuit tv, and that it is made available to the Derby police.

Only an utter pillock with less brains than a whelk would throw a smoke bomb in a crowded football stadium. It is stupid, reckless and dangerous - and to do it to your own fellow supporters is an act of wanton stupidity.

Archived