First Derby player you ever met.

ollycutts1982

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Met isn't really the right word, but Stimac and/or Eranio when their kids started at silverhill - had my hair 'tussled' by Igor, that's all I can remember.

I haven't actually 'met' any, barely even seen one. Saw Stephen Pearson out shopping at M&S Kingsway, but he was pretending to be in a lengthy phone conversation. Walked past Johnny Russell in Westfield at the start of the season. That's it.

John Harkes at the train station, on my way to the BBG. Asked him if he was playing, he said "hope so". It must have been about 1pm on a match day (was planning on a couple of pints near the ground, hence early start).

I'm still a bit confused about it now. Had he arrived on the train? Why wasn't he with the rest of the squad? He did start - can't remember what game it was, but it must have been in the season that he signed (and outrageously replaced Simmo straight after a 5-0 win over Sunderland on the opening day, IIRC)

TobyWanKenobi

I met Ashley Ward (and family!) in the Meteor Centre Maccy D's after the Pride Park Opening ceremony. Lee Carsley was there too, but he was sat down with his wife and kids eating, so didn't want to disturb them to say hello.

It is worth noting that Ashley Wards missus was well fit.

Helped organise a golf tournament that Roy McFarland played in some time in early 2000s too.

Colin boulton

I knocked on his door to ask for his autograph.

Spoke to Colin Boulton a few years ago at a function at JCB Club in Rocester. A really quiet, nice guy who seemed oblivious to the fact that a generation of Derby folk loved him and genuinely surprised that people remembered him. He thought only Zak, Mac, Toddy, Archie, Gladys and the rest of the outfield players were so fondly remembered.

He was ever present for two League title wins ffs. The best goalkeeper in the history of DCFC!

I could barely restrain mesen from licking him!!!

Spoke to Colin Boulton a few years ago at a function at JCB Club in Rocester. A really quiet, nice guy who seemed oblivious to the fact that a generation of Derby folk loved him and genuinely surprised that people remembered him. He thought only Zak, Mac, Toddy, Archie, Gladys and the rest of the outfield players were so fondly remembered.

He was ever present for two League title wins ffs. The best goalkeeper in the history of DCFC!

I could barely restrain mesen from licking him!!!

Great keeper.

He was a nice bloke then too.

He signed my Derby v Southampton Ram newspaper from 1971-72 which had a feature on him.

It became part of my full set of programmes in a binder for the championship season.

I kept it all until last year when i gave the whole lot to Alan Hinton who was another of my favourite players.

Archived