First Derby player you ever met.

ollycutts1982

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my mate's sisters babysat for Paul Blades and Ted McMinn often frequented The Cat's Whiskers video shop (as well as the bookies) near where I lived so I used to say Hi to them a fair bit.

Also used to clean a fair few of the player's cars so I got to know the football genius that is Darryl Powell, our current Assistant Manager, Ron Willems and Igor.  Igor once answered the door to my brother (who neded the car keys) in nothing but a towell, a fag in in his mouth and his missus running up the stairs in the buff.  For this reason, and marking Cantona out of the game at the BBG in the 96 season, he will always be a legend...

Best of all was an afternoon I was in Forge on Sadlergate and some dude bumped into me, I turned around and it was Ace Asanovic, he simply said 'Sorry'.  At that moment I'd have died a happy man... 

Probably the legends XI that used to play exhibition and charity matches in the early to mid 80s. You don't see that now. But when I was a lad, MacFarland, Nish, Green, Hector and co played on Stockbrook park!

They do still play a few of them. Big Roger Davies runs it and him and Kevin Hector still run out a bit.

Marco Gabbiadini down at the Ram Arena when I was about 10. My uncle took me down to see if we could get some autographs. Spotted Marco in a soft top jeepy thing. Went over, knocked on his window and he looked out and mouthed 'Wait' at me. He then leaned over to the glovebox, got out a comb and combed his hair. It was only then that he wound down his window and signed my book for me. There were other players that signed my book too but Marco's hair combing has stuck with me.

Archived