First Derby player you ever met.

ollycutts1982

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, he's moved 3 times in the last 4 years to escape a weird couple who stalk him in the pubs of Derbyshire.

Objection yer 'onour!!

Twas Sir Buxton Esquire himself who approached us to kindly ask if we would like a drink.

To which we replied ta very much, don't mind at all :-D.

Oooo yer well jell aren't ya? Teeheeheehee

I've never actually met and spoke to a player, but saw Phil Gee when he was in his prime at Derby, sat eating in the chippy in the middle of Matlock Bath.

Oh, I did speak to Gary Crosby after he tripped over a spot light on the floor at a do, I asked him if he didn't see it?

He's ex Forest though, so don't count.

Talked to Legend that is Ted McMinn at the BBG whilst playing a match :lol: , there was a lengthy injury on the far side and he was right next to us on the pop side (still standing area) he sat on the boards talking to me for ages. The ref blew 3 times to try and grab his attention as he had the ball too :lol: .

Met Phil gee too outside the BBG not long after he had signed for Fester, nice guy.

And spoke to Nige at burton this season.

My grandad did some driving for Derby in the late 60's early 70's as he had a minibus firm, used to do many a trip to local drinking establishments. He once had a tyre blow on the a38 years later and Kevin Hector pulled over to help him as he remembered the name on the side of the bus.

Edit - Forgot to mention that Hector was the first player my uncle met, in this exact scenario

I used to know loads of them in the '70s and the '80s - but that was mainly because I used to run the DCFC (and many other) sports quizzes, not because I was a particularly ebullient social animal. I think one or two of them felt that if they plied me with alcohol then I would give them a few clues.

Unfortunately (for them) my capacity was legendary, so this pliee remained (relatively) sober while the plier's money was sorely diminished. 

I don't remember who the first was but I have a good story about meeting Igor Stimac when I was 12 that is quite funny and not very believable but true.

Back in 1998, Me and a couple mates were out in town during Saturday afternoon and being 12 years old we'd been to Alf James' joke shop as we did every time we went to town. We'd asked him if we could have one of his mannequin heads which he told us no but we had our hearts set on getting one so we spent the afternoon gonig into various department stores and made up this story that we needed a mannequin for a school project. Part of the lie was that we went to lees brook when in fact we went to West Park.

Anyway, eventually we managed to get hold of one and as we were walking across the square near the waterfall thing towards the bus station we saw Igor and chased after him to get an autograph. He had a marker pen on him and we got him to sign our Mannequin. Bearing in mind we were three 12 year olds, he asked us "What the F is this?" which we thought was dead cool as you do at that age. He was and is my favorite football ever Derby player.

In the end, it was a waste of weird memorabilia as we dismantled the mannequin and scattered it around the Grave Yard at St. Werburgs church thinking that it would fool people into thinking the dead were alive.... idiots

Archived