Sheff Utd fans views on NC

McMuffin

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take your point Bris. The difference for me is the pettiness of starting/continuing a thread because he's lost a whole 2 games as Sheffield United manager. I agree that if he did well there probably would be a few people feeling smug deep down, but no one's banging the drum for him when he wins the odd match are they? 

I don't mind people offering up a balanced view of his reign thus far at SUFC, such as yourself and Smiffy, but when people seem to revel in his misfortune for the sake of it, it does come across as a touch malicious and incredibly petty. 

I noticed on both occasions when SUFC won under him, and yes it did cross my mind that I could mention it on here. Ultimately though I decided against it as a) it provokes those who didn't want him here unnecessarily, b) it's in the past now and I'd rather focus on the future with Mac and c) I'm not a petty person who likes scoring cheap points. 

It's the name of the game buddy..

As we all know, it takes usually at least a year to determine whether a manager is successful yet all it takes is a few weeks/months for one to be a failure..

Clough at Sheff Utd could win 5 games on the trot and it wouldn't make him a success.. Far from it.. But if they lose the next 5 on the bounce are cut adrift at the bottom people will automatically label him a failure and he'll probably be on the verge of an early sacking..

Losses will always sway opinions more than wins..

I remember when I made comments on Keith Hill and I was fully behind his footballing philosphy.. I still am by the way and he's doing well at Rochdale again.. Anyway, after every Barnsley defeat I had petty comments shoved in my face, even to the point where I bet posters on here were willing them to lose (how sad is that?) just to prove a point.

Clough has taken over a shambles. Any Sheff Utd fan expecting instant results is in for a shock. Managers can help, but ultimately players win games. If they aren't good enough for their division, they'll lose more than they win with Mourinho in charge let alone Clough.

Mates a united fan

Living where I do, I am surrounded by Blades fans. I work with a lot of them, 3 are season ticket holders. I drink in the pub with them, I was chatting to a season ticket holder last night. My son in law is a sheff Utd season ticket holder.I have resisted the temptation to join in this discussion so far because I wanted to really gauge their opinions for myself before commenting, and my conclusion is this - I think you are talking ******. You might be latching onto the views of a few online numpties because it suits a very warped agenda, or you might be making it up for the same reason, but what my own experience tells me is that Blades fans are not in this frame of mind at all. The ones I have spoken to are very pragmatic about their situation, which is unusual because they normally love a good whinge, and see it as a result of years of mismanagement at board level and decline on a football level. I have asked what they think about comments on here about players being played out of position and they think that is simply because the players they have replaced have not been performing and are mystified why anyone on here should care anyway. Most think that the club is in need of a complete overhaul and that it will take a long time to stabilize and consolidate and see Clough as a good appointment because of the job he did here. They are definately not writing him off after 4 games, 2 won and 2 lost. They are certainly not expecting miracles and instant promotion, indeed a couple I spoke to still expect them to go down and predicted a loss today. They also saw the the argument that they were in the play off positions last year as bogus too and suggested that they flattered to deceive and the fact that they stuttered into the play offs just papered over the cracks.

I'm not a Clough apologist, I wanted him to do well and admit that sentiment played a part in that and I thought his exit was a little shabby, but I was becoming concerned at the stagnation and lack of progress latterly. But like most others are saying, he's gone, we've moved on and are doing very nicely thankyou, let's enjoy it. I certainly can't see any merit in rejoicing in another club's misfortune just to satisfy an irrational, unjustified personal hatred of a man you don't even know. I suggest you let go, or if you can't, get counselling.

Living where I do, I am surrounded by Blades fans. I work with a lot of them, 3 are season ticket holders. I drink in the pub with them, I was chatting to a season ticket holder last night. My son in law is a sheff Utd season ticket holder.I have resisted the temptation to join in this discussion so far because I wanted to really gauge their opinions for myself before commenting, and my conclusion is this - I think you are talking ******. You might be latching onto the views of a few online numpties because it suits a very warped agenda, or you might be making it up for the same reason, but what my own experience tells me is that Blades fans are not in this frame of mind at all. The ones I have spoken to are very pragmatic about their situation, which is unusual because they normally love a good whinge, and see it as a result of years of mismanagement at board level and decline on a football level. I have asked what they think about comments on here about players being played out of position and they think that is simply because the players they have replaced have not been performing and are mystified why anyone on here should care anyway. Most think that the club is in need of a complete overhaul and that it will take a long time to stabilize and consolidate and see Clough as a good appointment because of the job he did here. They are definately not writing him off after 4 games, 2 won and 2 lost. They are certainly not expecting miracles and instant promotion, indeed a couple I spoke to still expect them to go down and predicted a loss today. They also saw the the argument that they were in the play off positions last year as bogus too and suggested that they flattered to deceive and the fact that they stuttered into the play offs just papered over the cracks.

I'm not a Clough apologist, I wanted him to do well and admit that sentiment played a part in that and I thought his exit was a little shabby, but I was becoming concerned at the stagnation and lack of progress latterly. But like most others are saying, he's gone, we've moved on and are doing very nicely thankyou, let's enjoy it. I certainly can't see any merit in rejoicing in another club's misfortune just to satisfy an irrational, unjustified personal hatred of a man you don't even know. I suggest you let go, or if you can't, get counselling.

He must have upset a lot of them today then :)

You are right though about moving on mind. The atmosphere around Derby has been like a breath of fresh air since he departed and McLaren was appointed so should probably forget Clough whilst he bores the shat out of the red side of Sheffield and we aboard the McLaren bus! Yaaaay

He must have upset a lot of them today then :)

You are right though about moving on mind. The atmosphere around Derby has been like a breath of fresh air since he departed and McLaren was appointed so should probably forget Clough whilst he bores the shat out of the red side of Sheffield and we aboard the McLaren bus! Yaaaay

Seems like he's not the only one boring the shat out of people at the moment.

Unfortunately, spite, the ability to spout personal vitriol and wanting people to fail are sad but true personality traits, and not at all exclusive to football fans.

Not aimed at anyone in particular btw, just an observation.

Ahh, if only it was a perfect world.

Living where I do, I am surrounded by Blades fans. I work with a lot of them, 3 are season ticket holders. I drink in the pub with them, I was chatting to a season ticket holder last night. My son in law is a sheff Utd season ticket holder.I have resisted the temptation to join in this discussion so far because I wanted to really gauge their opinions for myself before commenting, and my conclusion is this - I think you are talking ******. You might be latching onto the views of a few online numpties because it suits a very warped agenda, or you might be making it up for the same reason, but what my own experience tells me is that Blades fans are not in this frame of mind at all. The ones I have spoken to are very pragmatic about their situation, which is unusual because they normally love a good whinge, and see it as a result of years of mismanagement at board level and decline on a football level. I have asked what they think about comments on here about players being played out of position and they think that is simply because the players they have replaced have not been performing and are mystified why anyone on here should care anyway. Most think that the club is in need of a complete overhaul and that it will take a long time to stabilize and consolidate and see Clough as a good appointment because of the job he did here. They are definately not writing him off after 4 games, 2 won and 2 lost. They are certainly not expecting miracles and instant promotion, indeed a couple I spoke to still expect them to go down and predicted a loss today. They also saw the the argument that they were in the play off positions last year as bogus too and suggested that they flattered to deceive and the fact that they stuttered into the play offs just papered over the cracks.

I'm not a Clough apologist, I wanted him to do well and admit that sentiment played a part in that and I thought his exit was a little shabby, but I was becoming concerned at the stagnation and lack of progress latterly. But like most others are saying, he's gone, we've moved on and are doing very nicely thankyou, let's enjoy it. I certainly can't see any merit in rejoicing in another club's misfortune just to satisfy an irrational, unjustified personal hatred of a man you don't even know. I suggest you let go, or if you can't, get counselling.

Good post. Proper football fans view and not just the rantings of a wannabe sky sports fan. I don't give a fck about Sheff Utd but whatever happens up there won't make any difference to the work Clough did here. 

Top man, he did us proud imo given the constraints he had to work with. I'm certain GSE are grateful for him halving the wage bill and improving the team.

No. This is a forum where over half of the board's aren't related to Derby. What's more, the main purpose of this forum is to talk football. It would be silly not to talk about the team of an ex-manager.

No schnitzel Shirlock. Now can you point me in the direction of the post where I said it we shouldn't be talking about topics other than Derby, cos I'll be darned if I can remember posting that?

If you look back through my posts - it's not talking about Nigel @SUFC that I take issue with, it's the revelling in his misfortune that I find distasteful.

No schnitzel Shirlock. Now can you point me in the direction of the post where I said it we shouldn't be talking about topics other than Derby, cos I'll be darned if I can remember posting that?

If you look back through my posts - it's not talking about Nigel @SUFC that I take issue with, it's the revelling in his misfortune that I find distasteful.

You said "lets focus on [Derby]". That may be the main topic of discussion on here but, in this particular thread, it is not the main focus. It does kind of suggest you take issue with talking about SUFC as a whole.

You said "lets focus on [Derby]". That may be the main topic of discussion on here but, in this particular thread, it is not the main focus. It does kind of suggest you take issue with talking about SUFC as a whole.

I did. But you're taking the comment out of context. Look at the posts that came before it - the point of which wasn't to chastise ppl for discussing SUFC, but to single out an individual who's sole purpose was to score cheap points over our ex-Manager because he's lost a measly two games.

Really Shirlock Smokescreen Scott I expect better from you ;)

I did. But you're taking the comment out of context. Look at the posts that came before it - the point of which wasn't to chastise ppl for discussing SUFC, but to single out an individual who's sole purpose was to score cheap points over our ex-Manager because he's lost a measly two games.

Really Shirlock Smokescreen Scott I expect better from you ;)

Fair enough, I only skim-read the couple of pages before that, if I'm honest.

How did you know it's Smokescreen? :lol:

I was never a huge fan of Clough and even less so of what I thought was his abysmal backroom staff but like many, felt a certain level of disappointment when he was sacked and probably more pertinently, the way the Club ridded itself of a very proud man.

Nigel also appears to have a stubborn streak which did him no favours. However, as Rams supporters we owe him big style for one thing in particular - giving back respect to Derby County in the eyes of the wider footballing world after the fiasco of the 3 amigos followed by further mismanagement by the likes of Jewell and The Tango Man.

I wish him no ill in whatever he does in the future but neither will I shed a tear if things don't always go his way. He's history to me so why devote more than a passing interest in the results of his new employer.

I think he will be allright at sheffield utd and I dont mind admitting I will be keeping an eye on them - be nice to see if he can sort them out a bit and I will be curious to see if any of the current derby squad end up over there in the jan window when I am expecting a bit more a shake up here. I always follow ex derby players and wish them well (well most of them anyway!) and will do the same with NIgel. e.g. I didnt realise chris porter was there...and that nigel has put him back in the team (he was v slow when here although not the complete donkey that some believed). Of course I am a derby fan but if the new project is successful (and it looks to be well grounded) I must admit I will feel slightly less emotionally connected if the team becomes more cosmopoliton and full of good players (and foreign players) but ones who are here for the pay (if we can afford to pay them) rather than the shirt. I know its a running joke that nigel and simons scouting never went more than a 50 mile radius (except for scotland) but I liked the team all the more for it!

I was never a huge fan of Clough and even less so of what I thought was his abysmal backroom staff but like many, felt a certain level of disappointment when he was sacked and probably more pertinently, the way the Club ridded itself of a very proud man.

Nigel also appears to have a stubborn streak which did him no favours. However, as Rams supporters we owe him big style for one thing in particular - giving back respect to Derby County in the eyes of the wider footballing world after the fiasco of the 3 amigos followed by further mismanagement by the likes of Jewell and The Tango Man.

I wish him no ill in whatever he does in the future but neither will I shed a tear if things don't always go his way. He's history to me so why devote more than a passing interest in the results of his new employer.

I cannot really add more than this. I find it dis-tasteful to get some sort of joy at all from Nigel's opening struggles. Whatever time is acceptable to judge Clough's performance there, we should be judging McClaren here and I believe it is way too soon to even consider the stats seriously. 

Archived