Unusual favourite players

maydrakin

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I met Deon Burton at Fratton when I was at Pompey. I was a kid sat in the dressing room waiting to get picked up for an away game. (Guildford away U14) He was sat drinking a Frijj milkshake, a pack of minstrals, moaning about how much he'd been paid that month.

Strange what your memory clings onto. Can't remember what I had for dinner last week.

• 2 weeks later...

Taribo West, always loved him when i use to was CH4 Football Italia on a sat morning so was awesome when he signed for us or should i say when god sent him to save us, did feel the same about Fab Rav initially until he nearly bankrupted us. Contrasting emotions.

I liked him a lot before he joined us!

Team Nigeria had at the time was marvellous. Yekini, Amokachi, Okocha, Oliseh, West...

Here's one for ya. Mickey Lewis. I loved his attitude.

Tough as hell little midfield player, came in in Arthur Cox's early teams and eventually got replaced by George Williams.

Had a proper fit on the pitch one afternoon at the BBG one afternoon and I though he was going to peg out in the centre circle.

I've got Yakka's autograph somewhere, his and Glen Skivingtons - just looked Skivington up, he's a solicitor now.

Not surprised. He was robbing society by getting paid as a footballer, so it makes sense he's still robbing society today.

• 2 months later...

Too good a thread to let die!

Roger Jones - Joined us in 1980, was awesome and got player of the year.

Steve Buckley - Had the heart of a lion, legs like tree-trunks, a shot like a heat-seeking missile and was loved by the popside.

Ron Webster - Mr. Derby County.

Paul Williams was my favourite player as a kid, i still remember the scissor dance he used to do when he scored.

Others i'd go for are 

Gabbiadini

Peschisolido

Seth Johnson

I always thought Paul Williams was great for us in midfield and totally wasted when he was played at centre back.

Someone has already mentioned Mental Mickey Lewis...

John Gregory never got the plaudits he deserved when he was with us, he was fantastic and his time as our manager spoilt it a bit too.

Threads like this always make me kind of sad looking at the amount of crap we have had in recetn times here, it reminds me of when a good friend of mine was asked who the best player he had ever seen at Derby was and he answered Seth Johnson....now i liked Seth, but he wouldn't be in the top 50 of players i had seen at Derby, just sad that this generation will never get the opportunities we did to see some great footballers.

Someone has already mentioned Mental Mickey Lewis...

John Gregory never got the plaudits he deserved when he was with us, he was fantastic and his time as our manager spoilt it a bit too.

Threads like this always make me kind of sad looking at the amount of crap we have had in recetn times here, it reminds me of when a good friend of mine was asked who the best player he had ever seen at Derby was and he answered Seth Johnson....now i liked Seth, but he wouldn't be in the top 50 of players i had seen at Derby, just sad that this generation will never get the opportunities we did to see some great footballers.

That's the same for every generation.

I would have loved to have seen some of the players my granddad raved about. One that stood out was Hughie Gallacher, played for the Rams for a couple of seasons in the 1930's he scored 40 goals in 55 appearances including 5 on his debut against Blackburn Rovers. Granddad saId he was tiny - about 5ft 6.

Here's one for ya. Mickey Lewis. I loved his attitude.

Tough as hell little midfield player, came in in Arthur Cox's early teams and eventually got replaced by George Williams.

Had a proper fit on the pitch one afternoon at the BBG one afternoon and I though he was going to peg out in the centre circle.

Loved Mickey Lewis.

Saw him play in a game against Rainbow Athletic on Moorways (The Municipal) in some tournament where teams played to see who met Derby in the final.

He started the game quietly and looked quite calm until one of their players decided he was harder than Lewis and smashed into him. You could see the evil grin appear as he probably thought, so that's how you want to play!

I think their keeper was probably the only player he didn't hurt.

I also remember watching him kick Steve McMahon all over the baseball ground pitch one night game, In the 2nd half they took McMahon off and Molby came on only to be dumped on his back and have Lewis stand over him laughing after only a couple of minutes.

Archived