Unusual favourite players

maydrakin

Eddie mentioned Billy Caskey in an alternative post and it brought back some entertaining memories of some of the more unsung "heroes" who turned out for the rams.

Some of the stars I took a shine to were:

John Barton

Billy Caskey

Mel Sage

Kevin Francis

Jeff Chandler

Paul Emson

And

Calvin Plummer.

Not sure I'd tolerate them so much without my rose tinted glasses of my youth!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eddie mentioned Billy Caskey in an alternative post and it brought back some entertaining memories of some of the more unsung "heroes" who turned out for the rams.

John Barton

Billy Caskey

Mel Sage

Kevin Francis

Jeff Chandler

Paul Emson

And

Calvin Plummer.

Bizarrely I was going to start a similar thread today. I'm a bit upset you've lumped Ivy Chandler and the world's greatest ever right back along with those muppets.

Back when I was a kid I liked Keith Osgood, but I think I was in a minority.

Les green

Willie carlin

John robson

Jeff king

Gerry ryan

Alan biley

Kevin wilson

Dave swindlehurst

Paul futcher

Gary micklewhite

Jeff chandler

Ross maclaren

Rob hindmarch

Lee carsley

Inigo idiakez

Tommy smith

John Barton

Billy Caskey

Mel Sage

Kevin Francis

Jeff Chandler

Paul Emson

And

Calvin Plummer.

Mel Sage and Jeff Chandler (AKA "JEFFFFFFFFFFFFF! as the girls who used to stand on the Popside near me always shouted) were good players! Nothing unusual about them. 

My unlikely player? Steve Cross.

Simon Coleman - great memories of him scoring (his only goal for us?) at Barnsley, quality defender

Shane Nicholson - remember both of his, Shef Wed in the legendary 3-3 at the BBG, and Peterborough away

Mark Patterson - 30-yarder v Stockport? then stretchered off in a match abandoned due to fog, until then I thought he was going to be the next Mel Sage

Jon Stead

Richard Goulooze

Who on earth ever, ever..EVER had Paul Emson as a favourite player? C,mon now. If he was someones favourite then they clearly didnt see him play.

Emson's normal party trick was to dance his way down the wing, get to the byline with the crowd roaring him on and then put the subsequent cross straight over the bar for a goal kick. The collective groan was a sound to behold!

Emson's normal party trick was to dance his way down the wing, get to the byline with the crowd roaring him on and then put the subsequent cross straight over the bar for a goal kick. The collective groan was a sound to behold!

I remember the very same thing, I can picture him doing it now.

Archived