Matchday Talk Brum - Why the surprise ?

sausagemeat

Just read matchday talk from the Brum game.

Starts off as normal with all the wild predictions of how many we will win by etc.

Then moves onto the surpise at us not playing fluently and effectively, Not playing attactive football , Not dominating and not killing off the game.

Why the surpise I ask ? the bottom line is we are not a very good team and havent been for a good few years now.

Clearly proven by our league positions in the last 5 years.

This team and squad has a lot of poor to average at best players in it, poor to average at best players do not normally dominate games , play attractive football go on long winning runs and win titles.

NC brought and bought some real poor players into the club, only a small few have any promise.

Steve McClaren and Co have a big job to do replacing the dross this squad is littered with.

Hopefully the Wisdom signing is a sign of things to come, players coming in with technical ability who can play football.

Until we get more quality in the squad we will continue to get scrappy games to watch and get frustrated by no significant increase in success.

I finish off with Sammon - he is dire and was a complete waste of £ 1.2 million quid !!

More quality signings please DCFC - COYR

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought we created enough chances to win easily. 3 clear chances? Then the goal was another.

Didnt think we played great but I thought we were better than we played v Leeds which was a counter attacking display. Brum didnt look like scoring from anything other than set pieces.

Had Sammon taken 2 of his 4 easy chances this last week then that'd be nice.

He can't miss them and wonder why he's on the bench.

We haven't been poor for the last couple of years. We've been average imo. Tactically I don't think we have quite found our best system. Nigel preffering to pick his best 11 and fit them into his system.

We'll see with McClaren in time but I doubt we'll finish anything less than average

Brum was my first game this season, admittedly I have got a bit swept up in the feel-good factor of McClaren and the wave of positivity. Bearing this in mind I was surprised by the flatness of the play all game, the lethargism of the crowd and was pretty bored in all honesty - I won't be going again for a while.

I left the ground feeling frustrated that we didn't beat a poor Brum side who in my opinion barring an aerial threat offered absolutely sweet F.A. It wasn't a bad performance, it just didn't "click".

As for Sammon, I think we can all agree he ain't worth £1.2M which unfortunately when we don't throw much money about he has to carry that tag with him. I haven't seen much of him as most of the regulars will have but every time I have watched him he has struggled to win headers, hold up play, control the ball convincingly and look like a goal threat. Reminds me of a Tyson in so much as he is a real trier and will grab a goal or two here and there but its simply not going to be regular, the ability isn't there .

Starts off as normal with all the wild predictions of how many we will win by etc.

Then moves onto the surpise at us not playing fluently and effectively, Not playing attactive football , Not dominating and not killing off the game.

Why the surpise I ask ? the bottom line is we are not a very good team and havent been for a good few years now.

This team and squad has a lot of poor to average at best players in it, poor to average at best players do not normally dominate games , play attractive football go on long winning runs and win titles.

NC brought and bought some real poor players into the club, only a small few have any promise.

Steve McClaren and Co have a big job to do replacing the dross this squad is littered with.

Hopefully the Wisdom signing is a sign of things to come, players coming in with technical ability who can play football.

Until we get more quality in the squad we will continue to get scrappy games to watch and get frustrated by no significant increase in success.

I finish off with Sammon - he is dire and was a complete waste of £ 1.2 million quid !!

Lamentable attempt at Wummery. 

Brum was my first game this season, admittedly I have got a bit swept up in the feel-good factor of McClaren and the wave of positivity. Bearing this in mind I was surprised by the flatness of the play all game, the lethargism of the crowd and was pretty bored in all honesty - I won't be going again for a while.

I left the ground feeling frustrated that we didn't beat a poor Brum side who in my opinion barring an aerial threat offered absolutely sweet F.A. It wasn't a bad performance, it just didn't "click".

As for Sammon, I think we can all agree he ain't worth £1.2M which unfortunately when we don't throw much money about he has to carry that tag with him. I haven't seen much of him as most of the regulars will have but every time I have watched him he has struggled to win headers, hold up play, control the ball convincingly and look like a goal threat. Reminds me of a Tyson in so much as he is a real trier and will grab a goal or two here and there but its simply not going to be regular, the ability isn't there .

We dont beat poor teams like Brum on a regular basis and make big strides in progression because of the lack of quality in the team and squad.

Needs a big overhaul and introduction of better players for us to move forward significantly.

Its pretty crap to watch, lets face it  

Ipswich - Crap then a rallying period - Draw from a bad position of us playing woefully

Leeds - pretty crap -just counter attacking - good reult

Watford - Pretty crap - Hanging on for long periods - counter attacking - good result

Brum - Pretty crap - poor draw against a poor team.

Not suggesting it's Mc's fault - we just have a poorish squad and a real lack of quality in depth built over the last 5 years.

We dont beat poor teams like Brum on a regular basis and make big strides in progression because of the lack of quality in the team and squad.

Needs a big overhaul and introduction of better players for us to move forward significantly.

Its pretty crap to watch, lets face it

Ipswich - Crap then a rallying period - Draw from a bad position of us playing woefully

Leeds - pretty crap -just counter attacking - good reult

Watford - Pretty crap - Hanging on for long periods - counter attacking - good result

Brum - Pretty crap - poor draw against a poor team.

Not suggesting it's Mc's fault - we just have a poorish squad and a real lack of quality in depth built over the last 5 years.

Bit early to be drinking on a Sunday morning!

"http://images.wikia.com/glee/images/d/d0/Thumbs_Up!" alt="Thumbs_Up!">

Tad harsh on some very talented players. I don't want to get dragged into a Clough argument again as that should be all in the past now but there's some good players at our disposal thanks to him. 

Who are the poor to average players and the small few that are good enough?

Interested to hear who you put in each camp, especially those that started the game yesterday. 

Well if it was your first game and you won't be back again for a while because we only drew, then, you aren't a very good supporter if our team in my opinion. No offence.

I don't give a colander full of farts if I do offend him (within the constraints of forum rules, of course).

We do not need fans who haven't been for years but spend their time whining on messageboards about how poor we are, then when they do come along and we only draw they decide that they were right to not come along in the first place and won't be back.

Good riddance to another SillyBilly. Why doesn't he do what your namesake did and turn up at the other end of Brian Clough Way?

I actually thought we played quite well considering the way Brum were set up.  They celebrated the draw at the end like it was a win.  The had 9 men behind the ball all game with the intention of stifling us in midfield, and their attacking game plan was just to hit Zigic as early as possible with cross-field long balls and set pieces.  Doubled up on Hughes every time he got the ball, which is probably the first time he's really faced that from the opposition.

In summary, they did their homework and it's very difficult to tear teams apart when they're set up like that.  In my opinion we did well to create as many good chances as we did (and there were enough to get the win).

A lot of people seemed to think we just had to turn up to win, but - to use a trite expression - there are very few easy games in this division.  It's a tight league.  Hard lines yesterday Derby in what proved to be a frustrating afternoon.  Move on to the next one.

Don't bother coming back SillyBilly if one average performance puts you off, pathetic.

Fact is we have an off day and still didn't get beat, we'd have sat back and lost if Nige was still here.

You should realise Derby County is a hobby to some people, they can take it or leave it, pick it up or drop it. Shocking I know, but it is what it is.

Tad harsh on some very talented players. I don't want to get dragged into a Clough argument again as that should be all in the past now but there's some good players at our disposal thanks to him. 

Who are the poor to average players and the small few that are good enough?

Interested to hear who you put in each camp, especially those that started the game yesterday. 

As requested I have listed the poor to average players and good players in a new thread , current squad quality - in ramstalk. 

I dont think a massive amount went wrong yesterday.

A few of our best players weren't really at it but that will happen over the season.

I think the main thing that showed was the lack of a plan B. If were struggling to get ourselves a goal Sammon can't be the answer. Sammon is reasonable as somebody to put on while holding a lead to chase no hope long balls but his control and finishing really is shocking. He just isnt comfortable on the ball whatsoever.

We need a different option up top. Maybe thats even a change in formation, but I really didnt fancy us to score with the players we had finishing the game in the shape they were playing.

The lapse of concentration for their goal was really poor but again something that will happen. Otherwise the defense was  pretty solid other than having to mark a freakishly tall player from set pieces.

People were probably just taken in by the recent events.. It was boredering delusional but I didn't want to burst anyone's bubble

Fact is, we were fortunate to win at Watford as they were all over us in the second half, Leeds aren't a good side and our goals were hardly anything to do with some fantastic new ideas, we still can't defend set pieces, we're poor in the air and we struggled to beat Brum last year so what made this year any different..

It'll take time for us to get going but our squad is one of upper midtable ability.. There isn't much between us and Brum to be honest, there will probably be no more than 8 points difference come the end of the season.

Archived