Matchday Talk Brum - Why the surprise ?

sausagemeat

I didn't say he had little money to spend. I said he spent little money.

Yes, he may have spent ¥1mill here and ¥1mill there, but he also balanced the books. For every sale, someone was let go.

So no, he didn't have an easy ride compared to those clubs. On the contrary, I'm pretty sure the managers of those clubs weren't forced to cut their annual salary by two thirds.

hold on, what's the exchange rate?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't say he had little money to spend. I said he spent little money.

Yes, he may have spent ¥1mill here and ¥1mill there, but he also balanced the books. For every sale, someone was let go.

So no, he didn't have an easy ride compared to those clubs. On the contrary, I'm pretty sure the managers of those clubs weren't forced to cut their annual salary by two thirds.

You make out Clough had to sell key players...

He didn't.. He sold off rubbish players and used the money to reinvest in better players. Whereas teams like Barnsley had to sell off players like Butterfield and Shackell who were top NPC players and then they weren't given any money to replace them. Millwall with Morrison etc.

Clough had an easy ride.. Only his fanclub try to make up excuses for his short comings think otherwise..

I think that there have been some very bold statements regarding the quality of the squad. IMO I don't think that our squad is any better or worse than any other club in the division.

Yes it is easy for us to shout our opinions and disappointment when decent players are transfer targets and picked up by other clubs - Billy Sharp, Adam Le Fondre are 2 names that spring to mind.  But we will never know what goes on upstairs in the board room and if we are ever in a (financial) position to make a realistic offer. Sometimes a gem of a player from a lower league team does crop up - Ricky Lambert is a classic example but they are few and far between.

However, we are where we are and we have seen quite evidently, that there are players that work well as a team and capable of getting results. The only thing that I don't understand is that when one player has a bad day, the whole team does. Ward, Hughes, even Bryson had below par game on Saturday, and you could argue that we have not got someone experienced enough to have the creativity to break down teams that stick 10 men behind the ball as Blue nose did.  However, in the space of 2 weeks, we have seen more talk about possible loanees etc, again IMO, I wonder if NC would have been as busy.

I also agree with the comments regarding not coming again based on that performance. Sorry but you are cutting your nose off to spite your face.  I am a STH and commute from Wakefield and come rain or shine, will follow the Rams whatever happens (pending family commitments of course but that's a different story). With an attitude like that, join the prawn sandwich brigade at Stamford Bridge, Emirates or Etihad etc. as we wouldn't want you to feel that you are being inconvenienced.

I have seen positivity within the club now, Steve McLaren used subs wisely, which I am sorry, NC may not have done and waited until 80 minute to make changes.

We are where we are. So either shut up or put up.

I don't understand why wisdom was made mom IMO I did not think he played that well and was at fault for the goal also he seems to not like to go forward there was a couple of occasions he could and should of made forward runs with the ball but instead chose to pass sideways I have read lots of comments from Liverpool forum also stating he lacks attacking force

I don't understand why wisdom was made mom IMO I did not think he played that well and was at fault for the goal also he seems to not like to go forward there was a couple of occasions he could and should of made forward runs with the ball but instead chose to pass sideways I have read lots of comments from Liverpool forum also stating he lacks attacking force

Yeah I've never seen him get forward much. He looked really awkward at RB for Liverpool. The odd occasion he did get forward he'd turn around and play a safe ball backwards or sideways. Which is ok I guess. Clearly more suited to CB.

You make out Clough had to sell key players...

He didn't.. He sold off rubbish players and used the money to reinvest in better players. Whereas teams like Barnsley had to sell off players like Butterfield and Shackell who were top NPC players and then they weren't given any money to replace them. Millwall with Morrison etc.

Clough had an easy ride.. Only his fanclub try to make up excuses for his short comings think otherwise..

I think we should turn this thread into a debate about Clough. Anyone agree [ I'll be reading the other 74 threads about Clough while you all think about it].

"Easy ride"...hmmmmm, should I .....No, I think it's all been said and now it's all very boring..

I think we should turn this thread into a debate about Clough. Anyone agree [ I'll be reading the other 74 threads about Clough while you all think about it].

"Easy ride"...hmmmmm, should I .....No, I think it's all been said and now it's all very boring..

You're right...

But there will always be one or two to bring it up in every thread we have..

We could be talking about the rainbow and Nigel Clough's name and time here will end up in there somewhere

I can see what SillyBilly is saying because I know loads of people similar.

They watch football on TV

The follow Derby's progress.

But they follow football as entertainment. They aren't part of a fan base. They will come to see nice football and if there's a time we're on the up then they'll come and enjoy it. They don't go to sit there miserable.

It's logical really.

Why do the rest of us go through the ***** again?

Probably right for some though I wouldn't say I'm not part of Derby's fanbase; I have zero interest in ANY other club bar Derby (and Derbyshire clubs), I look out for no other results, I don't watch Match of the Day and couldn't give a rats arse who is playing in Europe midweek. I follow the city of Derby in any form it may promote itself, football or otherwise. I'm not a diehard fan though and there is some resentment against that on here, apparently I should go and support Forest instead...

Its not really about results or performances, DCFC was a big part of my later school and sixth form years, a lot of the original group of 15-20 of us don't go anymore or very rarely, it was always weighted towards the craic with like-minded people for me rather than the football. That part of it has gone, also bo**ocks like waving at the cam at HT and sponsored everything is cringe-worthy enough for me to not even bother (I seriously mean that). I don't like any of those aspects of modern football. I've been tempted a few times to go and watch Alfreton, I know a few Derby fans who do.

Football you pay your money you take your choice......lets face it approx 10000 only turn up when we are doing well and or are in the prem. Silly has the right to moan if he saw it as a bore draw.......and to choose when he comes back :) 

TBH I wasn't that surprised that Brum got a point.Chris Burke looked a threat before he went off as well. Zigic missed a free header, A win wouldn't have flattered them.

So ignoring the 3 sitters/very good chances we missed, the one they cleared off the line, the 3 half chances etc etc Even ardent Bluenoses wouldn't think they should have won. 

So ignoring the 3 sitters/very good chances we missed, the one they cleared off the line, the 3 half chances etc etc Even ardent Bluenoses wouldn't think they should have won. 

Didn't say that sage, What I'm getting at is that no side was overwhelmingly better than the other.

Football you pay your money you take your choice......lets face it approx 10000 only turn up when we are doing well and or are in the prem. Silly has the right to moan if he saw it as a bore draw.......and to choose when he comes back :)

Everyone has that choice but I am puzzled that someone whose level of interest is this low, bothers contributing to a forum?

Didn't say that sage, What I'm getting at is that no side was overwhelmingly better than the other.

I would have thought in terms of possession and chances created we were clearly better, so surely a win would have flattered them? 

Archived