Stimac

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.croatiantimes.com/news/Sports/2013-11-27/34827/Igor_Stimac_dreams_of_England

Igor Stimac dreams of England

Croatian Times

Former Croatian national football team coach Igor Stimac says his next job is most likely to be abroad.

Talking to the TV show "Istinom do gola", he revealed he used to have an offer from his former club Derby County.

"They've offered me a position of a manager last year. They've later signed Steve McClaren. I was now offered some other options. England remains my wish, but we'll see. I won't stay jobless," Igor Stimac has revealed.

During his career as a central defender he used to play in Derby County.

He brought Croatia to the World Cup play-offs and then resigned. Niko Kovac led the national team in play-off matches against Iceland and as they qualified for the World Cup in Brazil.

I overheard a couple of people talking about this last night then thought that we didn't really debate this much on here despite the potential significance of his claims, if true. 

My main thoughts are

When exactly did this happen? As soon as he was appointed? After a few games? Does Stimac mean last season rather than last year? 

Has Rush approached anyone else?

Would Rush have replaced Clough when McClaren was available regardless (to some extent) of results?

Would this have affected the level of support, financial and otherwise, given to Clough? 

Did Clough have an inkling in the summer when he hinted at he wasn't sure how long he'd be in the job?

Has it affected your view of Rush?

Owen Bradley reported last night that Igor was at the match and is the guest of honour for Saturday. He said he would be asking him about this interview.

However, it sounded like he was ITK when he then said "I suspect that something was lost in the translation"

Someone else said that in the original Croatian language interview he didn't mention Derby County by name, but that he just said an English Championship club. The translator made the assumption because of the Steve McClaren comment. Maybe he was talking about Forest!!

Owen Bradley reported last night that Igor was at the match and is the guest of honour for Saturday. He said he would be asking him about this interview.

However, it sounded like he was ITK when he then said "I suspect that something was lost in the translation"

Someone else said that in the original Croatian language interview he didn't mention Derby County by name, but that he just said an English Championship club. The translator made the assumption because of the Steve McClaren comment. Maybe he was talking about Forest!!

Well that's p1ssed on my cornflakes.

I overheard a couple of people talking about this last night then thought that we didn't really debate this much on here despite the potential significance of his claims, if true. 

My main thoughts are

When exactly did this happen? As soon as he was appointed? After a few games? Does Stimac mean last season rather than last year? 

Has Rush approached anyone else?

Would Rush have replaced Clough when McClaren was available regardless (to some extent) of results?

Would this have affected the level of support, financial and otherwise, given to Clough? 

Did Clough have an inkling in the summer when he hinted at he wasn't sure how long he'd be in the job?

Has it affected your view of Rush?

If the claims were true, and it was a year ago, then was Rush actually in the job at that point? I thought he started in the January of this year.

I'm assuming that this is a poor translation. We've only heard it from one source and it's not really been considered newsworthy by the local press, which are usually - but not always of course - the measure you go by with these stories. What if the Serbo-Coat doesn't have different words for "manager" and "coach"? Because if he was offered a role as a coach, then that's very different, and maybe Stimac doesn't realise he wasn't offered the same position as Schteve.

Stimac's a legend, no doubt about it, but he also says some pretty weird stuff sometimes.

I'm very suspicious of this story and I'm calling BS until it can be proven otherwise.

Sam rush told me before the boro game ( whilst signing an autograph ) that mark poom will be coming to the Doncaster home game before Christmas.

you heard it here first :)

Is that Mart's brother?

He's an odd bloke Asanovic. If I had him round for tea I'd certainly avoid talking politics. But he's a figurehead of our last properly great era...most fans list those great footballers from TBE years and begin their list with Stimac. When I was learning to walk I could already say his name.

Perhaps it's better to say he has a legendary status as a Derby player.

He's an odd bloke Asanovic. If I had him round for tea I'd certainly avoid talking politics. But he's a figurehead of our last properly great era...most fans list those great footballers from the TBE footballer and begin their list with Stimac. When I was learning to walk I could already say his name.

Perhaps it's better to say he has a legendary status as a Derby player.

Maybe. The way he left has never left me though, and I always look at McGrath, Poom, Sturridge, Baiano, Eranio and myself as figureheads of our last great era.

Great on the field - bit a cnut off it.

Archived