Stimac

North_Stand_Ram

I see what you mean there, and I tend to agree. I think 'defender' doesn't really suit Stimac as a description - to me he was always a sweeper.  Great at anticipating and picking up the loose ball at the back, and with the passing ability of an excellent midfielder.  The way he used to ping the ball 40 yards with barely any backlift was great to watch.

I'm not sure I'd want him back here in any capacity really. Not because I don't rate his ability or knowledge to coach players, but because of the risk of souring a great player-club-fans relationship if it all went wrong and he got the boot.  I never want him to manage us, because if it didn't go according to plan I'd be gutted to hear fans chanting "Igor out".

In terms of quality central defenders, I always liked Jacob Laursen.  A solid centre half, excellent man-marker (remember when he hardly gave Michael Owen and Paul Merson a kick when we played Liverpool and Villa respectively?) and generally reliable.  Highly underrated.

I was going to put Jacob Laursen on my list. Absolutely excellent pro. Always remember that cracking goal against United he scored.

Looked him up on Wiki and appears he has not been involved in football for a long while but doesn't say what he does now.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.premierleagueheroes.co.uk/jacob-laursen/4575844377

"Laursen is often seen on Danish TV as a pundit and he is also Senior Football Consultant at Paramount Sports Management working alongside fellow Derby County player Darryl Powell."

Don't know how reliable that website is but it seems he's not taken up coaching.
A couple more bad results for Burton and we can nab Rowett for a defensive coach and they can have Nige back as manager. Everyone's a winner!

Lee Carsley was apparently sacked from Sheff Utd at the same time as David Weir, so if we wanna get the band back together he'd be a decent shout.

Also, from that same website above, apparently Darryl Powell has the most Premier League appearances for Derby! Which I think proves that experience isn't everything...

I was going to put Jacob Laursen on my list. Absolutely excellent pro. Always remember that cracking goal against United he scored.

Looked him up on Wiki and appears he has not been involved in football for a long while but doesn't say what he does now.

He was frequently the unsung hero in my opinion.  Rarely got the praise he deserved, and hardly put a foot wrong.  If he'd been quicker he wouldn't have stayed long with us.

Why has he resigned?

They can still make Brazil?

They can.

I'd say he's thrown a bit of a wobbler tbh, instead of just getting on with his job -

......after becoming fed-up with the criticism that has followed him during the whole campaign.

He said: "It is a bad defeat. I offered my mandate (resignation) to the president of the Croatian football federation because of the latest results of our team, because everything that surrounds us.

"Never mind that we qualified for the play-offs, I want to show some morale, certain responsibility and if there is anyone in the federation that does not believe in my work I want to give them the chance to change.

"They will have a meeting to discuss it."

Stimac continued: "It is all about the positiveness surrounding the football in our country.

"It seems we are not happy in Croatia to qualify for the play-offs.

"We were not happy after the first game even though we beat Macedonia, we were not happy in the second when we drew against Belgium or beating Wales 2-0, they said it was supposed to be 15-0.

"After Wales we went to Macedonia and beat them 2-1 and they said that was not good because they were on the up, we beat Serbia 2-0 and they said we barely survived and the goalkeeper saved us.

"We beat Wales 2-1 and they said we were lucky. That's how it works in Croatia.

"There were a lot of people against me from the beginning."

What is it with your love affair with Stimac. He did a great job in his stint with the club but why should that translate to any fan wanting him back on the payroll?

I just don't get the thing with ex players.

A quote from Wikipedia on his time with Croatia:

"Many people claim that his time as coach was the worst coach and worst form the team has ever been since 1990"

Now that's pretty damming.

No thank you Igor but thanks for the memories.

A lot of people were against him because of his political views - I met someone from Croatia relatively recently who said he allegedly has pretty far-right views.

Good players don't necessarily make good coaches.

Views are OK, so long as he did not have an AK47, and a shovel :wacko:

I always find it odd seeing fans calling out names for coaches.

Managers are judged on trophies, results and signings. Players, what they do on the pitch.

Coaches?

I thought the exact same thing when people were moaning left, right and centre about the likes of Andy Garner.  I have no idea exactly what he does day-to-day, or how well he does it, so it's meaningless for me, or anyone outside of the training sessions he takes, to say whether he should be kept on or not.

Lets face facts why would any international manager or ex manager take up a coaching job with a championship club, he would want a managers job in some top flight team

that doesn't mean someone shouldn't make the most of his skills in the interim period, a bit like QPR did with McClaren recently.

Archived