most depressing game as a Derby fan

Mostyn6

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought it was 2-0? Martin Taylor's return from a broken leg, Russell Hoult was dire at Boro when we lost 6-1, the best thing about that game was Simmo's free kick right at the end, great free kick.

Yeah you're right was 0-2 and both Ravanelli and Juninho scored...so at least I got the goalscorer bit right!

What was Simmos free kick? Can't have been that good if we lost to nil!

Boxing day 2002 losing 3-1 at home to Grimsby. First year back in the championship and we had a decent squad. Looking at the team's on paper we should have beat them with ease. It was freezing too. That whole season was just awful, and it just went downhill from there.

Lee Grant was in goal that day. Would have been 19 at the time.

Remember going up to Roker Park and getting smashed 3-0 by Sunderland in promotion season under the bald eagle. Cold open stand and we started singing we've had a shot on goal, because it was a bloody rarity in that game. First defeat after 20 games. Remember seeing the waves crashing in off the coast there on a bleak cold cold day.

Yep. One of those games where the opposition look like they are going to score with every attack and they pretty much did.

Not helped by the fact that I was living in Wolverhampton at the time and could see their ground every time I left the house. Scarred.

That game was the making of craig short though. He struggled when he first arrived and he reached a low point during this game. He turned it round from then on.

Losing 4-2 in the first leg play off at Blackburn in early 90s after leading 2-0 early doors with goals from Gab and Tommy - never has euphoria turned to misery so quickly - couldn't quite turn it round in the home leg.....shocking thunderbirds equalling away strip too, to make things worse!

Just thought of another one. Losing at home to Bristol Rovers in the third round in the 01-02 relegation season - dreadful match, p1ss wet through, freezing cold and they were at the bottom of the fourth div at the time. Awful, simply awful

It was a fine hat-trick by Duke though. How many thought that he would do the same for us one day? Not me, for a start. I thought that I would go home, get into a nice, hot bath and slash my wrists. 

25th August 2007. Derby 1 Birmingham 2. They scored before Steve Bloomers watching had finished due to a bywater howler. It was obvious Derby were in big trouble.....not overly depressing at the time but it stands our in my mind as the beginning of a very depressing time.

The lowest points

That cup semi- finalff

Dead right. We didn't know then that it was the start of something really bad........

ALSO, much later, I went to Hartlepoool for the FA Cup game.....

AND, I went in the "away end" with a Sunderland mate of mine for the Derby 0 Sunderland 5 game at Pride Park

....No wonder I have so many problems :)

A few of mine...

Plymouth 3 - 1 Derby County

Plymouth 2 - 0 Derby County

Went to both, travelling down on coach and losing to Plymouth is about as fun as a poke in the eye with a hot knife. I remember both so vividly.

I went to both of them.

I got pulled over by the plod doing 98.41mph.

I only got it down to that, because I saw him about 400 yards behind me doing the same speed as me.,

I was doing well over 100  when I first spotted him.

And to make it worse, the **** was a florest fan.

But he did let me off with 3pts, and a £60 fine. :)

I'd have to go with the 4-0 at home to Leicester 99-00 (I think). 3 down after 15 minutes.

Actually... it was 97/98 and 4-0 after 15 minutes.

It was before I started going to games, was only 10 at the time (3 days before the game as it turns out) so I'm not sure I really 'did' depressed then (ah who am I kidding?)

My memory of the game is walking into Linda's Videos in Mickleover (yes kids, video shops existed) at about 15:20, hearing the game on the radio and asking what the score was.

"You're losing 4-0" said Linda. She said "You're" of course, because Linda from Linda's Videos and all her family were Leicester fans!

For the record the video shop is now a cafe.

Archived