most depressing game as a Derby fan

Mostyn6

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worst - Leicester in the p/off final, 1994.

I was 11 at the time, and I remember eating a digestive biscuit chocolate bar on the coach whilst crying. Leicester fans kept passing us on the motorway celebrating; it was awful.  Worst thing is that we battered them that day and their equaliser should never have stood, and wouldn't now with the protection 'keepers get.

Best - Sunderland at the BBG, Boxing Day '95

We beat them to go top of the league, it was the Christmas holidays, the Sunderland fans were wearing Santa hats. It was magic.

That and Southampton at PPS, 97/98. Featured match on MOTD and I remember sitting in the stand after about an hour (it was 0-0 at the time) thinking "we've battered them but we'll have no goals to show for it", then 4 arrived. Wanchope's goal from Baiano's backheel was worth the entrance money alone.

Worst - Leicester in the p/off final, 1994.

I was 11 at the time, and I remember eating a digestive biscuit chocolate bar on the coach whilst crying. Leicester fans kept passing us on the motorway celebrating; it was awful.  Worst thing is that we battered them that day and their equaliser should never have stood, and wouldn't now with the protection 'keepers get.

Best - Sunderland at the BBG, Boxing Day '95

We beat them to go top of the league, it was the Christmas holidays, the Sunderland fans were wearing Santa hats. It was magic.

That and Southampton at PPS, 97/98. Featured match on MOTD and I remember sitting in the stand after about an hour (it was 0-0 at the time) thinking "we've battered them but we'll have no goals to show for it", then 4 arrived. Wanchope's goal from Baiano's backheel was worth the entrance money alone.

That Sunderland day was one of the best feelings I've has as a Ram. Outstanding atmosphere!

• 2 weeks later...

If I remember rightly, Liverpool were perfectly happy at 0-1, just knocking the ball about, heading for a regulation away win. Then we had the cheek to equalise and that really p1ssed them off.

Dunno about the most depressing match (there's been so many) but the most boring ever, in terms of on field incident, must be the last match of the '74-'75 season. We were already champions, Carlisle were already relegated, the sun shone and absolutely NOTHING happened for the whole 90 minutes. Zzzzz.

The whole game was spent in fevered anticipation of being presented with the League Trophy, the champions of England.....the closer to full time, the more the noise rose until a crescendo that you can't even begin to imagine nowadays. Yeah the 90 mins was ***** football wise but wtf! we were the champions, again!

The lap of honour then the inevitable pitch invasion, the players and Dave Mackay up in the main stand with the trophy and thousands and thousands of us on the pitch........fook me Grimbeard, how can you put that day in this thread? :D

I'm going for a recent one (mainly because it's still fresh in the memory) and saying the first half against Ipswich - never seen anything quite like it.

Every time the ball came into our box, it ended up in the net (literally). I've never been so scared to concede a corner before :lol:

Fortunately, we turned it around and it became one of the most enjoyable games I've seen. I went berserk when Bryson slammed in that equaliser.

Not a full game but the first half against Ipswich was pretty shocking, if i've ever felt like leaving a game at HT then that was it. The away thrashing at Cardiff 6-1 was pretty humiliating, long drive back and not a word spoken. To top it though i would say the play off defeat to Leicester where Williams ducked under the ball for their winner, i remember everyone on the bus on the way down throwing all the Walkers crisps out the windows. Another long drive home.

Wembley v Leicester 1994, nothing has come close to that before or since.

I live in a Leicester fans stronghold and I agree. The stick after that game is still going on. Funny when we do them (which isn't that often unfortunately), you never see a blue shirt for gold dust.

Archived