Clough Has Gone

Shuff264

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

avid rams fan and keen follower of this forum for some years now and after yesterdays debacle have finally decided to voice my feelings!

First off what an utter travesty Clough has gone, he may not have been the best manager but was going nicely in reaching the long term objectives set out for him, build a strong squad on limited funds. 4.5 years in the job having ridden the wave of the premiership campaign fallout we were on track for a promising season, even if our early home form was a bit poor its early doors plenty of games left so this decision has really surprised everyone not least in my view as it doesn't add up to the boards ethos of long term planning to sack a manager you've placed your faith in this early in the season, I just wonder what would have happened had we won (or at least drawn) yesterday...would Nigel still be down at the job centre tomorrow morning rather than in his cosy office at PP? Unless this was always meant to be Clough's final season and he only started the season whilst the board waited for various targets to become available or make certain pre contractual arrangements with this seems such a bizarre decision! 

Anyone agree or disagree?

Agree with some of your points. The debate about would the board got rid of Clough had we beaten Forest is an interesting one, I would have suggested that they were unhappy with the progress of Cloughs team on the pitch so far this season so if not Forest then Ipswich or the next game.....

As far as I am concerned, the only thing that was left as far as supporting Derby County was concerned WERE the sentimental values. I don't support a business - I support a football club with a deep history of doing things right for and on behalf of the people of Derby.

Or at least I thought I did.

you are right but it has what football has become nowadays.

It could be the owners are now ready to spend to get into the prem & couldn't bring themselves to trust clough with his limited scouting system, with the money.

I know it seems a bit far fetched, but I do believe this decision to sack him was made a while back & I believe they already have a replacement.

Agree with some of your points. The debate about would the board got rid of Clough had we beaten Forest is an interesting one, I would have suggested that they were unhappy with the progress of Cloughs team on the pitch so far this season so if not Forest then Ipswich or the next game.....

I think the decision was made weeks ago.

It's telling.

I always thought the Clough Out noises were getting louder and louder,

but it never, ever got to the point of the amount of 'sacking clough is a disgrace' noise currently - I can hold my head high, and say he has the backing of the fans.

It's not us that have made the decision, the americans/rush are absolutely accountable for what happens now. If we don't improve on last season, then Rush should walk for me. 

It would explain the lack of any real transfer activity (other than the sale of Brayford, which I am now absolutely sure was not a Clough decision)

Agreed. Only thing that baffles me though is why wait until now, Pulis has been available all summer if the bookies odds are to be believed and am sure Mclaren would have jumped at the chance to become a manager again if he's only coaching at QPR

I do, to a point.

I imagine Rush telling Clough in the summer 'now might be a good time to do your qualifications' - but as I said when Rush came in, he'll have his own agenda in this. If Glick was still here, then so would Clough IMO. 

The decision would not have been a knee jerk reaction to yesterdays result, it will be thought about for some time, I think Reading was the final straw for the board, but due to playing Lesta and Florest they delayed the announcement until after, the defeats just made it a little easier for them.

It's telling.

I always thought the Clough Out noises were getting louder and louder,

but it never, ever got to the point of the amount of 'sacking clough is a disgrace' noise currently - I can hold my head high, and say he has the backing of the fans.

It's not us that have made the decision, the americans/rush are absolutely accountable for what happens now. If we don't improve on last season, then Rush should walk for me. 

The next few days will be very interesting for me, the board has made the decision that its time for a change but am curious to now see the logic behind the timing come out - and also to see the calibre of the new incumbent, whether he will be given extra funds

You missed out "a little"

I would dispute that. No doubt at first he had to cut back at a spectacular rate and there are many, many teams in this league with a larger wage bill. But there are some that would admire what we have as well.

We've been competing with teams to sign decent players. Grant, Russell, Keogh, Shackell, Smith - these are all players that teams at the top end of the table would have been trying to sign.

The decision would not have been a knee jerk reaction to yesterdays result, it will be thought about for some time, I think Reading was the final straw for the board, but due to playing Lesta and Florest they delayed the announcement until after, the defeats just made it a little easier for them.

Yes I do agree the board have been a little cowardly or naive or a bit of both by thinking that the ground swell of public opinion would be for Clough going if we lost to both of our East Midlands rivals, when they saw the fixture list I bet they were licking their lips....

I would dispute that. No doubt at first he had to cut back at a spectacular rate and there are many, many teams in this league with a larger wage bill. But there are some that would admire what we have as well.

Apart from the big spenders like Forest and Leicester I cant think of many Championship clubs whom have spent 1 million plus on 2 separate players in different seasons? Apart from us. So the argument about no cash to spend is a little tenuous IMHO

Archived