Clough Has Gone

Shuff264

Welp, Sam Rush giveth, and Sam Rush taketh away.

The only thing Sam Rush givethed me was a cup of coffee and biccies - and he took away 5 years seniors discount of mine and the memsahib's season tickets.

Bloody expensive biccies. 

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Nigel arrived there was a lot of talk about a 5 year plan.  Nigel has redressed the crazy wage bill and steadied the ship and that was no mean feat.  I'm as sentimental as the next man and would have liked to see the Clough name back in the Premiership.  The reality is we were not pushing on from last season and the 5 years were up. 

It would have been nice if the club and Nigel could have arrived at a mutual understanding and had agreed to part company rather than sacking him, maybe pride played a part? 

One thing I don't understand. If this many people are upset by Clough being sacked, why wasn't PP full each home game? Why wasn't there this vocal majority supporting him when he had the job?

I can only think that his name held far greater importance than a lot realised.

One thing I don't understand. If this many people are upset by Clough being sacked, why wasn't PP full each home game? Why wasn't there this vocal majority supporting him when he had the job?

I can only think that his name held far greater importance than a lot realised.

"This many poeple", how many is that? 22k? 23k?

Poor timing but absolutely right decision.

Clough had to go.

He did a steady job of trimming the squad and reducing wages but some of his tactical decisions were awful. He showed very little ambition or charisma over his tenure. 

Crowds are falling - enthusiasm is falling and I am not sure how many more times I could have held my tongue whilst he had a go at a 4th official/linesman/ball boy!

Too many excuses. Poor man management and I for one will not miss him.

Shame the romantic dream didn't come true but time to move on. Think the board have done him a favour by doing it so early in the year. He can claim that he did a great job and apply for Lge 1/2 jobs, whilst we get a new manager who may actually reignite some excitement in the life of DCFC fans!

I actually suspect new manager may get £5m or so for players that would not have been trusted in the hands of Clough. (£1m Sammon?).

I am looking forward to backing the new manager, who ever it is.

The single biggest disappointment for me is that we may not get to see now whether a club could be successfull without throwing tens of £millions at it.. The dream for me was not so much the Clough name - that would have been a nice bonus - but the sense of pride and achievement that we had been patient, backed the owners and the manager on a long term plan not a rat race for the promised land at any cost.

While Clough had very little money to work with the gradual putting together of a well run club, from top to bottom,  was a slow but heroic journey that would have bossed any amount of short term progress achieved by doing a forest or leicester scattergun approach to signing players.

We are now back on the rollercoaster of potentially sacking managers like our rivals have done over the last few years like we did prior to Clough's appointment.

Sam Rush said sacking Clough was to drive the club forward to the next level so the expectation level from the board has gone up a notch, the next guy needs to deliver sooner rather than later. This one statement is a game changer as it means we improve or we fail - if we don't improve it'll either be the new managers fault or the boards, and fans will not listen to a long term plan, sustainability, or the like. Maybe that's good, maybe we needed that jolt.

I suppose I just wanted Derby to be a bit different. I wanted the moral high ground of saying we didn't just buy it, we worked our bollux off for it.

As for the timing, well pisspoor springs to mind. We can go away to places like Brighton and Forest, dominate possession playing some decent football. We have forwards in Martin and Russell who have both started the season with goals. The home form would have turned round imo and I was very confident of a raite good season ahead. I would have given Nigel until December.

Oh well, its all immaterial now. No group of 30,000 plus people will ever agree on everything to do with their football club but the main thing is to get behind the players on Tuesday and Saturday and neither celebrate his departure or mope about it.

The single biggest disappointment for me is that we may not get to see now whether a club could be successfull without throwing tens of £millions at it.. The dream for me was not so much the Clough name - that would have been a nice bonus - but the sense of pride and achievement that we had been patient, backed the owners and the manager on a long term plan not a rat race for the promised land at any cost.

While Clough had very little money to work with the gradual putting together of a well run club, from top to bottom, was a slow but heroic journey that would have bossed any amount of short term progress achieved by doing a forest or leicester scattergun approach to signing players.

We are now back on the rollercoaster of potentially sacking managers like our rivals have done over the last few years like we did prior to Clough's appointment.

Sam Rush said sacking Clough was to drive the club forward to the next level so the expectation level from the board has gone up a notch, the next guy needs to deliver sooner rather than later. This one statement is a game changer as it means we improve or we fail - if we don't improve it'll either be the new managers fault or the boards, and fans will not listen to a long term plan, sustainability, or the like. Maybe that's good, maybe we needed that jolt.

I suppose I just wanted Derby to be a bit different. I wanted the moral high ground of saying we didn't just buy it, we worked our bollux off for it.

As for the timing, well pisspoor springs to mind. We can go away to places like Brighton and Forest, dominate possession playing some decent football. We have forwards in Martin and Russell who have both started the season with goals. The home form would have turned round imo and I was very confident of a raite good season ahead. I would have given Nigel until December.

Oh well, its all immaterial now. No group of 30,000 plus people will ever agree on everything to do with their football club but the main thing is to get behind the players on Tuesday and Saturday and neither celebrate his departure or mope about it.

I love your last paragraph! No one will ever all agree, and to be honest life would be boring if we all agreed!

Archived