Clough Has Gone

Shuff264

I think the decision was made weeks ago.

I actually think the storm clouds have been gathering since Rush arrived.

The relationship that was so evident between Clough and Glick never really materialized with Rush.

The noises Rush made in private conversation over the summer made it clear Clough was in last chance saloon, I just think people didn't realise how soon kicking out time was.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apart from the big spenders like Forest and Leicester I cant think of many Championship clubs whom have spent 1 million plus on 2 separate players in different seasons? Apart from us. So the argument about no cash to spend is a little tenuous IMHO

Agreed, clough did have money & to be fair he has imo bought some good players but I think he is tactically inept and obvious. I do believe that a better manager could get more out of these players we have.

It could be the owners are now ready to spend to get into the prem & couldn't bring themselves to trust clough with his limited scouting system, with the money.

I know it seems a bit far fetched, but I do believe this decision to sack him was made a while back & I believe they already have a replacement.

Limited scouting system? He couldn't scout abroad because of the costs. Not because of anyones inability.

I'm surprised you're not hiding in a wheelie bin.

If Nigel had got us promoted, seriously I'd have been too embarrassed to log on here and act like I hadn't posted so much negativity towards him. You, along with the other amigos have been wrong about Nigel being the supposed right man for the job, when obviously he's not...

If Nigel hadn't received the right funds, then why didn't he walk away with his head held high instead of waiting to get the boot?

It's amazing how many "he's a nice guy" comments I've read. Since when does a nice personality win games?

To be honest maybe the board sat there yesterday and thought Sammon 1 million pound plus cant get a start, Keogh 1 million pound player gets sent off appalling performances all season, wtf Clough have you spent 2 million quid of our cash on, time to go....

Add to that Dean Moxey is playing in the prem...someone who wasn't good enough for us.

Touche. Maybe though theres a little more truth in my postulation that some may care to admit. I dont see many other Champ clubs apart from our East Mids rivals that have been fortunate enough to spend 1 million quid not once but twice in recent seasons on different players. Maybe the board thought that the performances of those players did not translate to the outlay on them and made Clough accountable which is how it should be.

So, if we are heading down the more continental route of a head coach and a director of football:

A) would you be happy if that head coach was McClaren? - baring in mind he'd be more a coach and less of an impact of players purchased etc (I wouldn't want McClaren as manager but if he was more of the modern day coach with a DoF there as well, I don't know. I'd still need convincing

B ) who would you want the director of football to be? - should be someone with a lot of connections both here and abroad in order to get the most for our cash.

So, if we are heading down the more continental route of a head coach and a director of football:

A) would you be happy if that head coach was McClaren? - baring in mind he'd be more a coach and less of an impact of players purchased etc (I wouldn't want McClaren as manager but if he was more of the modern day coach with a DoF there as well, I don't know. I'd still need convincing

B ) who would you want the director of football to be? - should be someone with a lot of connections both here and abroad in order to get the most for our cash.

I must say the rumour (McClaren, DoF etc) if true would make more sense if we were to be sold as most American owners work to a template, and none follow the DoF route , Mun U, Liverpool, Villa etc ? So it may add up, that said i think that McClaren does have a good reputation as a coach, the DoF is anyones guess..but it would need to be another strong and influential Person, to try to galvanise the squad....

I remember another 'pairing' that did quite well here a fair few years ago  :rolleyes:

Archived