Retro Shirts

SinfinMark

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

This old favourite added to my collection today from 1988/89 season, always remember seeing Ted McMinn destroy spurs in this shirt !

IMG_0899.JPG

I remember that game too. He torn them apart. As I remember it, they almost snapped him in half in the away fixture the season after. Possibly Pat van den Hauwe that did the damage if I recall correctly.

18 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

This is one of my all time favourite shirts. There should be a campaign to recreate it. :thumbsup:

I agree I was looking at it thinking what a great shirt it is, much better material than modern shirts, and a lot more thought to the design of the shirt, not bad for thirty years old ! Wish I still looked as good and had aged as well as the shirt !

On 23 August 2017 at 23:35, loweman2 said:

Went to the Emirates today for a legends tour, not that I have any interested in the Arsenal ! Just to get King Charlie to sign his shirt !

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Thats a classic!

an Emirates tour and you pull out a Derby shirt for Charlie to sign!!

i would have loved to have been there!

i have a copy of his book which i would love to get signed one day.

9 hours ago, RamNut said:

Thats a classic!

an Emirates tour and you pull out a Derby shirt for Charlie to sign!!

i would have loved to have been there!

i have a copy of his book which i would love to get signed one day.

its well worth a day out @RamNut and quite reasonably priced, the ground in my opinion is far better than Wembley, we spent about 3 hours with Charlie, he really is a top man, very funny and very knowledgeable and up to speed with all of the modern day players and teams, he was very aware of Derby and what has been going off, he is big mates of Sam Rush and had a few interesting comments to make none of which I would be so foolish as to put on here, what was clear was that he loved the change from his normal well rehearsed Arsenal patter and relished all of the Derby related question that you could see got him smiling at his memories.

He encourages contact and banter and signed anything and had many photos taken along the tour and it depends on what day you go as to how many are in the group, as I took my dad and my son it was the school holidays so we had about thirty in our group which sounds like a lot but it wasn't as probable 25 of them were happy to just mooch along without daring to speak ! this allowed us to have a lot of chat with him, at the end you sit in the emirates press area which is massive and he has a Q&A session, once again not many asked any question which allowed me and my old man to keep pinging Derby related questions, the best one was when I asked "a lot of people say that you played your best football at Derby County Charlie ! would you agree ?" and he answered Yes !!! the gooners were all looking very confused as im sure they only ever thought he had one team in his career !! we then proceeded to ask how it felt scoring a hatrick against Real Madrid, which club were you playing for when you won your one and only England cap and what was it like to be on the pitch that night when franny lee and norman hunter had a bust up ? which he loved talking about ! he said Franny (who he referred to as Frarny due to his London accent) was a real hard bar steward loved it ! he had won a penalty against hunter earlier in the game where he went down a bit easy and Charlie scored the penalty so hunter was after him all game and it boiled over in the end.

he loved Dave Mackay and had lots of good things to say.

the best thing that he said in front of all the gooners was "I love Derby ! I love the club and I love the people !" when I asked which was his favourite he had a big smile on his face and said I cant answer that but I was born half a mile down the road and Arsenal pay my wages !!!

he signed my umbro shirt and my charity shield shirt along with a number of other items.

all in all a really nice guy and as I said really worth a day out, you just book a legends tour with Charlie on the Arsenal website !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Nice addition of a 1985/86 shirt to the collection signed by Trevor “cool as custard“ Christie, never seen one with the embroided badges and is a different thicker material to the other one I have so maybe a player issue shirt !

what a season that was ! The start of the revival under Arthur Cox, some good honest players in that squad.

5BA98879-7977-40C5-9FB2-0C65276EB921.jpeg

5425CA96-2FDE-40C9-B2A8-ED011768F851.jpeg

On 23/07/2017 at 22:43, AndyinLiverpool said:

I am pretty sure it went on sale in black and red at some point in the summer then when it first appeared in a match it was black and grey. They didn't change the shorts, though - they were still red. The whole effect was hideous.

Resurrecting an old post, as just seen this awesome thread.

The Red and black stripes was to be the original, word is that Bob Maxwell refused to have a red change shirt due to the Forest connections so Umbro produced it in grey for us instead but as the decision was made late on the red shorts and socks had to stay as (I think) the replicas had already had a sizeable production run whereas the shirt hadn't.

Kev Savage had the sample shirt, which was this.

cmorOKj.jpg

yXeP4HG.jpg

You can see it advertised in the bottom right of this pic

vMpsmwD.jpg

Archived