Retro Shirts

SinfinMark

47 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Nice addition of a 1985/86 shirt to the collection signed by Trevor “cool as custard“ Christie, never seen one with the embroided badges and is a different thicker material to the other one I have so maybe a player issue shirt !

what a season that was ! The start of the revival under Arthur Cox, some good honest players in that squad.

5BA98879-7977-40C5-9FB2-0C65276EB921.jpeg

5425CA96-2FDE-40C9-B2A8-ED011768F851.jpeg

When did the Ram change direction on the badge?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Mick Harford said:

Resurrecting an old post, as just seen this awesome thread.

The Red and black stripes was to be the original, word is that Bob Maxwell refused to have a red change shirt due to the Forest connections so Umbro produced it in grey for us instead but as the decision was made late on the red shorts and socks had to stay as (I think) the replicas had already had a sizeable production run whereas the shirt hadn't.

Kev Savage had the sample shirt, which was this.

cmorOKj.jpg

yXeP4HG.jpg

You can see it advertised in the bottom right of this pic

vMpsmwD.jpg

wow that has got be worth a few quid !! some great information and knowledge there @Mick Harford

if anybody has any late 60s or early 70s shirts they would like to sell then please let me know, it would be great to get them all on display !

25 minutes ago, Mick Harford said:

The Red and black stripes was to be the original, word is that Bob Maxwell refused to have a red change shirt due to the Forest connections so Umbro produced it in grey for us instead but as the decision was made late on the red shorts and socks had to stay as (I think) the replicas had already had a sizeable production run whereas the shirt hadn't.

cmorOKj.jpg

yXeP4HG.jpg

vMpsmwD.jpg

Red or not, I really like that.  Still have my black and grey version which obviously won't fit me anymore, but still one of my faves.

29 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

When did the Ram change direction on the badge?

Went back to the current way on the puma shirts when we moved back to pride park in 97/98 previously it was the Patrick shirts in 1981 when it was reversed so it faced that way from 81 to 97 !! Funny how you forget these things

51A4DC60-2732-4DD9-8E31-8B1412CFDFEA.jpeg

1063A6B0-B4DC-4E20-BDA4-FBACCDE4D179.jpeg

2BBD5471-CFC7-47C8-857E-88086E23FEEB.jpeg

DF1BB28F-17C3-43FC-B4E0-EA5C743FB9EB.jpeg

E00CE966-A211-4423-A346-5C1238A3328E.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mick Harford said:

cmorOKj.jpg

yXeP4HG.jpg

vMpsmwD.jpg

Thank you so much for that. 

I remember seeing such an advert as you show then being vey confused a few weeks later when we turned out in the grey version.

I'm so glad I didn't imagine the whole thing.

On 10 August 2017 at 14:35, loweman2 said:

The much sought after centenary season home shirt

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

I've got that. I think you asked me about selling it, in the past, or it might have been the blue one which I see you also have now, or the white and orange le coq sportif ones, I can't remember.

I gave up buying shirts for myself about 12 years ago. I treat the kids to them now and again in the sales, that's about it. I suppose there's will get added to my collection and they can keep it going, if they like, when they are older.

15 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I've got that. I think you asked me about selling it, in the past, or it might have been the blue one which I see you also have now, or the white and orange le coq sportif ones, I can't remember.

I gave up buying shirts for myself about 12 years ago. I treat the kids to them now and again in the sales, that's about it. I suppose there's will get added to my collection and they can keep it going, if they like, when they are older.

Excellent @Inverurie Ram ,

I’ve actually got Paul Blades match worn centenary shirt with the black no 2 on the back, I don’t think it’s that one in the picture, I think that’s a spare ! It’s become a bit of an obsession! I managed to get Ronnie Webster’s 1971/72 shirt with the red no2 on the back but would love any other early 70s or late 60s ones, they are all getting so rare now ! I think I have got just about all of them from 1977 onwards, Not sure which is my favourite ! I reckon it must be the white Le Coq one hotly followed by the white Patrick one !

Must be because I loved the shirts as a kid and in those days it was the only thing that you owned that you treasured !

That along with your football !

8BEB78AE-24DC-49D7-BC54-AFC2D32500D1.jpeg

Yeah I think we are similar with our favourites too. I think mine are 78 Umbro home and away, Patrick home and away, Le Coq Sportif home and away, with Umbro barcode and Umbro blue squares followed by Oscar and centenary shirts, which I own amongst many others, so most of the pictures on this thread!

And exactly for the same reason as yourself, they remind me of being a kid, instantly bring back the excitement of getting a brand new shirt for Christmas and thinking now, how much effort my parents had to put into buying them, sending a SAE for the brochure and order sheet etc from Cottingham, Hull to Derby. None of this easy megastore or eBay etc on the Internet as now.

Still remember buying that Umbro 78 away Argentina Derby shirt in a Hull Sport Shop called Arco when I was about 9 or 10. They had a load of them in a bargain bin for a ridiculous price, something like 10p/50p/£1. I should of bought the lot, could have made a killing on eBay now!

• 4 weeks later...

1978 home shirt with the open diamonds and no 11 on the back !! We had Leighton James start the season off as no 11 and then a plethora of talent such as Gerry Ryan, Colin Chesters, Paul Bartlett, Gordon Hill and Andy Crawford all try their luck in it over the rest of that fateful season when the squad was ripped apart by Docherty !!

0FCC8B74-2BA1-4A8F-BE49-D74ED5C87ED8.jpeg

3CA102D9-264B-4658-9F23-F7AA84F2C474.jpeg

33C01206-16F6-4DBC-8567-F1DD88A55575.jpeg

Im going to be selling my 93/94 home shirt and my 98/99 home shirt if anyone is interested. Bought them both off ebay last year, only selling as they are too big for me and just sat in the wardrobe. Both are great condition, 98/99 has 9 Wanchope on the back. Both are size L which i think is more like an XL in modern sizes. I have the current home shirt in an L and its a perfect fit, these are just a bit bigger. If anyone is interested ill get the measurements. If no interest then ill put them on ebay but rather sell to someone on here if theres the option. 

On 17/01/2018 at 22:31, Mick Harford said:

cmorOKj.jpg

yXeP4HG.jpg

vMpsmwD.jpg

I love the red and black shirt! I’ve never seen it before in my life.

I could wear that Derby shirt to Essendon AFL games.

7 hours ago, loweman2 said:

1978 home shirt with the open diamonds and no 11 on the back !! We had Leighton James start the season off as no 11 and then a plethora of talent such as Gerry Ryan, Colin Chesters, Paul Bartlett, Gordon Hill and Andy Crawford all try their luck in it over the rest of that fateful season when the squad was ripped apart by Docherty !!

I had '11' on mine that season. As you suggest, it somewhat lost its lustre as the season wore on.

8 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Take the collar off and I'll happily have it for next season's kit.

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Boycie said:

That ram looks bigger on the picture, nice shirt though.

I don’t suppose it’s that exact shirt Boycie but yes it’s a nice one to add to the collection, I’ve emailed him to tell him it’s in the post to sign, then it will be an even better shirt !

51 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

I don’t suppose it’s that exact shirt Boycie but yes it’s a nice one to add to the collection, I’ve emailed him to tell him it’s in the post to sign, then it will be an even better shirt !

Oh! I thought they wear match worn, my bad, yeah getting him to sign it will be bang on! ?

13 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Oh! I thought they wear match worn, my bad, yeah getting him to sign it will be bang on! ?

Impossible to say, they didn’t make replicas in these yellow shirts so probs a player issue / made shirt but they used to chuck them in the kitbag until they were next needed, this was only worn a few times between 75 and 77 and Todd was the number 6, also they all had Umbro badge and neck label but they were made all over the uk at the time by different suppliers under licence from Umbro, so lots of subtle differences, not like the mass produced shirts today. Colin sold a number of his shirts a few years ago but most of the times the players never got to keep their shirts they were always handed in.

hopefully I will stop buying them soon ! ?

Archived