Buxton is not a top 6 centre back

ariotofmyown

I don't want to simplify this for the sake of it. A defender's job is simply to keep the ball out of and away from the goal he is defending. Anything else is secondary.

Is Buxton good at doing this? I'd say he's better than Keogh at doing it.

I don't like how easy it is to turn him, but I believe coaching can go some way to resolving this.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would rather have him as a squad player than our first choice. Nothing against him, in fact for many reasons he's a cult hero. I just think we could do better and I hope we sign someone before the end of August, on loan or permanently.

I don't want to simplify this for the sake of it. A defender's job is simply to keep the ball out of and away from the goal he is defending. Anything else is secondary.

Is Buxton good at doing this? I'd say he's better than Keogh at doing it.

I don't like how easy it is to turn him, but I believe coaching can go some way to resolving this.

He wouldn't be so easy to turn if he didnt charge at everything like a raging bull. He thinks everything can be solved by bravery!

But then, what would he be like if he didnt charge at everything? Would he be worse for it?

He wouldn't be so easy to turn if he didnt charge at everything like a raging bull. He thinks everything can be solved by bravery!

But then, what would he be like if he didnt charge at everything? Would he be worse for it?

I disagree with this, in terms of Buxton anyway. This is a description I would lament Keogh with, reminds me of a dog chasing a bouncing ball, whereas Buxton is more likely to sit deep and clear up! 

Also would strongly protest that in terms of distribution, from what I have seen this season Buxton is 10 times better than Keogh in this department. 

He has been our best centre back in the first 3 games, and I am not overally surprised - he is a very reliable defender, doesn't really make stupid mistakes, and really his only weakness for me in this division matters very little, He is our strongest defender in the air, and our best at distributing the ball - the problem is, he isn't blessed with agility but how often do you find a striker running straight through at him? very, very rarely. 

I disagree with this, in terms of Buxton anyway. This is a description I would lament Keogh with, reminds me of a dog chasing a bouncing ball, whereas Buxton is more likely to sit deep and clear up!

Also would strongly protest that in terms of distribution, from what I have seen this season Buxton is 10 times better than Keogh in this department.

He has been our best centre back in the first 3 games, and I am not overally surprised - he is a very reliable defender, doesn't really make stupid mistakes, and really his only weakness for me in this division matters very little, He is our strongest defender in the air, and our best at distributing the ball - the problem is, he isn't blessed with agility but how often do you find a striker running straight through at him? very, very rarely.

I always view him as a very aggressive defender (not dirty). Him and Keogh.

It's a good point though. He doesn't let himself be faced with a rushing striker very often.

Maybe he knows what he's doing afterall!

The thing with Buxton is he is consistent. Very rarely makes a howler, but is always delivering the same levels of dogged determination every match.

Whilst I would argue Keogh is capable of a lot more than Buxton, I would also concede that Keogh is also at far greater risk of making mistakes.

I wish there were a few more players in England with the same attitude as Buxton - not having a sense of entitlement.

He is a much improved player, especially his distribution. He reads what is in front and to the left of him so much better than a couple of seasons ago. His commitment to the cause is unshakable and his attitude spot on. One of those rare players that got a break and made the most of it by sheer graft and wilingness to learn.

I doubt he will ever trouble the aspirationals for an England place but there is much to like and admire.

Completely agree with this, Bucko is one of those players that doesn't have a bad game because he can't afford to, he plays at the top of his ability which has improved during his time here. He is consistent.

No one here is saying he is the best defender in the world, but what we are saying is, he can cut it at this level

I don't see a huge amount wrong with either Keogh or Buxton. I wouldn't like them paired together all season though. What I wouldn't give for a Stimac type next to one of them. Some composure back there. A player who can not only tackle but has the confidence and composure to play it from the back. Legends don't grow on trees though. Still would like another CB.

Buxton is a good CB but I honestly see him as a good backup rather than first choice XI

I think anyone who's read any of my comments about the great and wonderful Saint Bucko (the people's champion) will know that I am somewhat of a fan...

However, all this talk of "top 6 CB" is nonsense...

Is he a decent CB? Yes

Are there better CBs than him in this league? Yes

Would we like a CB who's a bit better? Yes

Neither is Keogh. Their isn't much between them imo.

But we've got a decent TEAM. If Nige lets the leash off then they'll do alright.

Agree completely. 

I think Keogh is massively overrated, and while Buxton got grief last season, Keogh was responsible for far more goals. Especially from set plays.  

Comparing Buxton's and Keogh's distribution is difficult. Buxton gives some awesome long passes (and I think that's why some like his distribution more than Keogh's), but Keogh is so much more confident and calm with the ball that he can give more useful passes to ourcentral midfielders.

I like them both, but I would still change them both.. Doesn't make sense, does it?

Comparing Buxton's and Keogh's distribution is difficult. Buxton gives some awesome long passes (and I think that's why some like his distribution more than Keogh's), but Keogh is so much more confident and calm with the ball that he can give more useful passes to ourcentral midfielders.

I like them both, but I would still change them both.. Doesn't make sense, does it?

Question, do you think any of them are better than Jason Shackell?

Yes. Both. Shackell's distribution was woeful. Our style of play relies on central defenders who can pass accurately.

Agree with most of that, I just think personally we won't carry the season as them being the first choices, loved to be proved wrong. Love to see Barker back put once knees go, you never really recover properly, look at O'Brien

Question, do you think any of them are better than Jason Shackell?

I think they are quite equal if you look the overall ability. Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses, Shackell is definitely better judging positioning wise and heading (which usually are most important skills to CB in Championship). But I agree with Scarlet, Buxton and Keogh suits us relatively well.

I prefer Shackell. Not by much and if the money we sold him for bought Keogh and say Jacobs/Coutts then that's a good deal.

Position wise I think Shackell is better than both.

In the air I think Shackell is better than both. Not by much. But better.

On the deck I think Keogh is much better than Shackell. Shackell wasn't a hoofer he just though he could do 50 yard passes. When he did keep it simple he was good.

In the tackle I'd say they're equal between them.

I'd prefer Shackell over them both I guess that's why he's been transferred for quite a bit of money each time. Plus every club he's left the fans have been disappointed to see him go.

Nige said himself "we have a replacement lined up that's almost as good as Shackell"

I don't think buying Shackell back and selling Keogh would make us much stronger. And then I don't think Keogh is much better than Buxton.

So for me, Shackell slightly. But if we got Keogh and some money in then that's a good deal.

Don't know if he's been as good at Burnley?

Archived