Buxton is not a top 6 centre back

ariotofmyown

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Nan would be better than Bramble... You have automatically voided your own argument by choosing a defender who is AWFUL as an example

He really isn't. Nearly 300 Premier League appearances, over 40 appearances in Europe, also voted Player of the Year at least once with Wigan.

Yes, early in his career he was prone to an error. Awful he is not, an improvement on Buxton he certainly would be.

This is a new one. Heard lots of reasons why people think Buxton isn't good enough, but he's making Keogh play worse than him? So we need to replace Buxton to stop Keogh from being worse than him?

Don't forget Keogh has been voted player of the year for the last 4 seasons across 3 clubs. The last three occasions all being at this level. He has ability that Buxton can never hope to possess.

Keogh has such a lot to do at the back  -   2 new backs to keep an eye on and direct, a new formation in front of him to respond to, and a partner he has no instinctive relationship with and who is not always reliable and needs direction, however much he gives. 

Is it any wonder he can't always get on with his own game ?

Keogh has such a lot to do at the back  -   2 new backs to keep an eye on and direct, a new formation in front of him to respond to, and a partner he has no instinctive relationship with and who is not always reliable and needs direction, however much he gives. 

Is it any wonder he can't always get on with his own game ?

Keogh is the least reliable player on the field at the moment, IMO. Buxton needs to keep an eye on him, not the other way round.

Buxton is playing above himself, Keogh below himself. There's not much in it when all things are equal. But at the moment, Buxton is playing alot better than Keogh.

Don't forget Keogh has been voted player of the year for the last 4 seasons across 3 clubs. The last three occasions all being at this level. He has ability that Buxton can never hope to possess.

Apart from the fact Buxton is out-performing him? Is this some sort of master plan from Jake Buxton then, to deliberately sabotage Keogh's performances to make him look better?

I've not doubt mate that Keogh is the better player, but Buxton can't be that bad when he's better than an out of form Keogh.

He really isn't. Nearly 300 Premier League appearances, over 40 appearances in Europe, also voted Player of the Year at least once with Wigan.

Yes, early in his career he was prone to an error. Awful he is not, an improvement on Buxton he certainly would be.

He's one of those players who SHOULD be good but isn't... Originally people signed him for his potential and then because he has all the attributes of a top quality defender... and then he falls over his own face scoring an OG...

Titus Bramble is one of those players who made a career out of the myths in football.

10-12 years ago when every pundit was saying you need a Makelele in midfield and a couple of big, bruising French-Africans who can run and run, where anyone with the surname Cisse or Camara was signed up by desperate clubs clutching at straws, Bramble was an English 'version' of a big bruising of that kind of player, strong and deceptively fast and I must say very capable with the football. Sadly, Bramble as a regular bouts of Bywater-itis! Ie. he's thick as fook on t'pitch

I happen to think that Bramble's performances reflect the manager he's playing for at any given time. He's not naturally an intelligent defender so needs to be well-organised and managed. On that basis, he'd be no good for Derby. He'd be a coup for someone like Billy Davies though.

I happen to think that Bramble's performances reflect the manager he's playing for at any given time. He's not naturally an intelligent defender so needs to be well-organised and managed. On that basis, he'd be no good for Derby. He'd be a coup for someone like Billy Davies though.

He played under;

George Burley

Bobby Robson

Graeme Souness 

Glenn Roeder

Sam Allerdyce

Chris Hutchings

Steve Bruce

Martin O'Neill

Paolo Di Canio

Would say his strongest seasons came under Burley and Bruce. 

We'd all have Bramble at this level - let's not beat around the bush.

If we had an organised defence I would, but as we have a defence that always plays 'last ditch', I'm not sure he'd look any different trying to figure it out himself to what Leacock and Claude looked under Nigel.

He played under;

George Burley

Bobby Robson

Graeme Souness 

Glenn Roeder

Sam Allerdyce

Chris Hutchings

Steve Bruce

Martin O'Neill

Paolo Di Canio

Would say his strongest seasons came under Burley and Bruce. 

I'd probably say under Robson and under Bruce. Under Burley, he was still young so his calamities were overlooked.

I'd probably say under Robson and under Bruce. Under Burley, he was still young so his calamities were overlooked.

He got his big move from Ipswich and at that point people were looking at him to be an integral figure in the future England set up, has he ever been called up? 

The fact he hasn't got a club yet tells me that he isn't interested in a championship club though, and waiting on a last minute premier league move.

If we had an organised defence I would, but as we have a defence that always plays 'last ditch', I'm not sure he'd look any different trying to figure it out himself to what Leacock and Claude looked under Nigel.

Bloody hell, turn your pun radar on!

To be fair 

I can't think of a centre back that Billy has had that didn't peak during his time playing under him.

Leacock and Moore were fantastic, but he also engineered for me the best defence the second tier has seen since i've been watching football

Callum Davidson, Youl Mawene, Claude Davis, Chris Luketti, Graham Alexander, Tyrone Mears, Matt Hill and Kelvin Wilson.

30 goals conceded all year - form.

Archived