Buxton is not a top 6 centre back

ariotofmyown

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest no I wouldn't. The Rams were coasting at 2-0 and just before HT Smith brought someone down from behind the ref spoke to him and he immediately fouled someone again and got booked. From the resulting free kick they scored from the cross and at that stage Keogh and Hanson were the CBs. Bucko replaced Keogh at HT but I missed Burton's second as I was still getting back to my seat. The Burton 3rd was a breakaway on goal after the Rams attack broke down going for a winner. Keogh and Bucko are the best we have right now and to be honest are playing quite well together but the problem would be if one of them got injured. PS People tell me OB will be the answer or Barker when he gets fit. Also we have Forsyth who I am told could play CB and we have Hanson and Josh Lelan who are up and coming. The only thing I would say is top 6 would be much easier to achieve with a class CB addition but they cost money. Then again we have the Brayford money don't we or as that disappeared.

To be honest I can't remember the Burton second goal, but for the third one the defence stepped out but Hanson stayed where he was leaving the attacker onside. Not complaining about that, he is young.

I was impressed by Burton and hope they are challenging for promotion again this season.

Keogh has been over-rated since his arrival, I got shot down for slating him last year for being our weakness from set pieces. Another one today to add to the 5000 f**k ups he's achieved in 4 games so far this season.

He needs to get a grip.

Keogh has been over-rated since his arrival, I got shot down for slating him last year for being our weakness from set pieces. Another one today to add to the 5000 f**k ups he's achieved in 4 games so far this season.

He needs to get a grip.

I agreed with you last season mate.

I've not agreed with either of the last two POTY awards.

Bryson won it that season where him and Hendrick spent most the time chasing shadows. They were decent on the ball when they got it but we struggled to get the thing.

Keogh and Buxton last year. Too many soft goals. Too many goals from players having time and space in the box. Too many times between them they lost their men because they can't play facing anywhere but the opponents goal.

I like them and I'd keep them in the side but I don't think they're our strong point. Sammon got some of the boo boys last season but it wasn't him losing his bearings and letting folk have time and space.

I do like Keogh and Buxton. I really do. They'll be alright. Just agree they are overrated.

I don't want to simplify this for the sake of it. A defender's job is simply to keep the ball out of and away from the goal he is defending. Anything else is secondary.

Is Buxton good at doing this? I'd say he's better than Keogh at doing it.

I don't like how easy it is to turn him, but I believe coaching can go some way to resolving this.

Got to disagree there.. 15 years ago, maybe but not nowadays, you have to be a footballer as well. Distribution and technique are a must.. Just getting in the way don't cut it anymore.

Got to disagree there.. 15 years ago, maybe but not nowadays, you have to be a footballer as well. Distribution and technique are a must.. Just getting in the way don't cut it anymore.

True, I agree.

That's why Buxton has worked on the passing side of his game. He's probably the most ball retentive player in the 5 defensive positions.

Do you rate barker? As he doesn't have any technique and is purely a stopper

Why does it pain you to say it? Morgan is one of the best centre halfs in the championship.

If not the best in the championship... he is limited in his ability, but at his job he is outstanding - with Moore next to him who is a bit more limber, yet more naive they've got a great balance and a partnership miles away from ours in terms of quaity. 

Archived